Is it possible to void the warranty using only the software?

Blue Protoman

It goes without saying that if you take a sledgehammer to your Pandora, you'll be smashing the warranty with the rest of the unit. But is it possible to void the warranty without causing physical harm? I understand that you can do so by overvolting (not overclocking) at OPP6 and beyond. By comparison, other devices cost you your warranty for merely accessing the root or by overcoming any sort of protections. There has to be SOME other way to void your warranty on the Pandora.

The fact that the Pandora is unbrickable by design and can be easily reflashed means that there should never be a reason to claim the warranty unless there is a physical problem anyway. So, you could mess with your root (to use your example) and then just reflash if something goes wrong and nobody would be any wiser.

You could fry the chip with overvolting but we have never seen it happen, however CC can check and confirm if the chip has been fried by over volting.

I think keeping to under 1GHz is pretty safe.

Mine is stable at 1075 at OPP5 - However I just determined this out of curiosity. I never go over 1000 as I don't see any reason to. :)

I spend 80% of my time at 600, 15% at 400 (when reading e-books), and the other 5% at 800.

This is a rough estimate of course, and fluctuates depending on what my bent is each week.

the candle outlived its usefulness once the light bulb was invented.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that the Pandora is unbrickable by design and can be easily reflashed means that there should never be a reason to claim the warranty unless there is a physical problem anyway. So, you could mess with your root (to use your example) and then just reflash if something goes wrong and nobody would be any wiser.
I'd contend that.

My unit has an issue in which it won't completely shut down when i click shut down. I didnt' notice for a while as I shut the lid rather than watch a shutdown time bar but everytime I tried to boot my pandora the batt would be dead =/

Already on 5 rc2 I thought what the hell I'll get the proper 5 update. Installed by PND - didn't work -shut down issue same.

Flashed nand and now not only does my Pandora still not shut down properly but it wont let me boot into XFC - just shuts down when it does.

At a bit of a loss what to do really.

I'd contend that.

My unit has an issue in which it won't completely shut down when i click shut down. I didnt' notice for a while as I shut the lid rather than watch a shutdown time bar but everytime I tried to boot my pandora the batt would be dead =/

Already on 5 rc2 I thought what the hell I'll get the proper 5 update. Installed by PND - didn't work -shut down issue same.

Flashed nand and now not only does my Pandora still not shut down properly but it wont let me boot into XFC - just shuts down when it does.

Have you posted your issue in the Support Forum?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd contend that.

just flash it from a UBIFS-Version SD card http://www.openpandora.org/firmware/README.txt its not as hard as they make it sound ;)

Last edited:
Back