Is It Still Possible To Buy A Gp2X-F100?

seventhsynergy

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'd like to do some experiments on some cheap ARM based hardware, and the GP2X-F100 seems to exactly fit the bill, but from what I can tell its not possible to buy one any more.
I've looked on eBay and I saw a F200 they other day, but I don't think that the Open2X linux runs on the F200.

I contacted the manufacturer, but they will only supply the Wiz as they claim they don't make the F100 any more - which I know is not strictly speaking, correct as the GP2X is still being sold as a "Vocamaster" (not sure if the Vocamaster is a F100 or F200).

I could buy a Wiz (I still might) but I don't need the additional speed, I'm just looking for something simple and cheap.

I have thought about buying a Dingoo to do some hardware hacking on as well, but it doesn't have a touch screen and the CPU is MIPS based not ARM based - both of which are important to me.

Anyway. Thanks in advance....

You can purchase one from me, I have a used GP2X F100. I am in the USA. If you are interested, PM me.

seventhsynergy said:
Hi,

I'd like to do some experiments on some cheap ARM based hardware, and the GP2X-F100 seems to exactly fit the bill, but from what I can tell its not possible to buy one any more.
I've looked on eBay and I saw a F200 they other day, but I don't think that the Open2X linux runs on the F200.

Open2X runs just as good on my F200 as on my F100. So I guess if you need a touch screen handheld you have to look for a second hand F200.

Last edited by a moderator:
b_o_b said:
seventhsynergy said:
Hi,

Open2X runs just as good on my F200 as on my F100. So I guess if you need a touch screen handheld you have to look for a second hand F200.

Bob. Yes. Touch screen would be useful to me, but I'd make do with an external mouse for testing purposes. I understand its possible to compile Open2X to support USB devices like mice and its possible to attach the hardware albeit with some difficulty due to the board being surface mount.

I'm only looking for something to use / hack as a test platform, and devices like GP2X seem a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated ARM evaluation board as they market for $750+

seventhsynergy said:
b_o_b said:
seventhsynergy said:
Hi,

Bob. Yes. Touch screen would be useful to me, but I'd make do with an external mouse for testing purposes. I understand its possible to compile Open2X to support USB devices like mice and its possible to attach the hardware albeit with some difficulty due to the board being surface mount.

I'm only looking for something to use / hack as a test platform, and devices like GP2X seem a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated ARM evaluation board as they market for $750+

Open2X supports USB HID devices, including mice and keyboard. Just plug them in. You'll need a "cradle" to attatch them, which is another accessory you'll have to get. There are ways of modifying the GP2X to have a USB host port so that you can plug devices directly to it, but hardly anyone has done this.

Furthermore, Open2X has supported the F200 for a while now. The project's homepage is out-of-date. I'd have fixed this a long time ago but DJWillis never got around to granting me access.

seventhsynergy said:

If you can't find an eval board of an ARM based SoC for drastically less than $750 then you're looking in all the wrong places. You can get a wide variety of things for under $200. You can even get a Beagleboard for $150 and that's top of the line as far as ARM goes.

Yeah, the days of $3000 SMDK2410 boards are *over*, thank goodness! For sure there are ultra-cheap, very powerful ARM systems out there in the eval board market .. of course the question is, what happens beyond evaluation? The Beagleboard makes a lot of sense for a lot of eval-style development, since OMAP is showing up in all sorts of interesting places, but when it comes to buying eval boards for development, you have to think beyond the lab. What will you deploy your developed code on? You could do a lot worse than use the GP2X for a while (I did, for commercial development, and it rocked.. until I broke all 3 of my GP2X's..)

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

I've bought a GP2X-F100 from "mawler" off this forum. Depending on how my testing goes with the F100 when I recieve it, I may look around for a F200 (for the touch screen, and possibly a Wiz)

I think the issue that I have, is that although you can get development boards for less than the $750 USD full price as quoted on the web - it just gets you a board that you can use on a lab bench, and not really a consumer device that you can put in front of potential customers etc. - which is where something like the GP2X comes in handy.

From my perspective I feel its a shame that its not possible to buy the GP2X-F100 / or F200's from the manufacturer as an OEM or ODM product - as some applications don't need the additional speed / cost of the Wiz. Espectialy as I think that the F200 (or possibly the F100) is being sold as a Vocamaster in Korea, albiet with completely different firmware.
Ideally I'd like a device like the F200 but possibly with a slightly larger touch screen, so I may see if I can adapt the F100 to accomodate a larger screen by using a different case.

Hi all,

I am from India.
I have a GP2X F200.
I bought it for experimenting with ARM development.
I found that I can't use it for networking applications, using USB.
I need a GP2X Cradle for the same.
I need TV-OUT cable and Mains Charger also.
If I get the older version F100, then I think I can achieve this.

So, can anyone tell me where I can get GP2X F100, GP2X Cradle, TV-OUT cable and Mains Charger?
Used gadgets and accessories in working condition also acceptable.

Thanks in advance
Please reply

Back