Is My Sd Card Dying Or Is My Gp2x?

oqnet

I have had my gp2x for over a year, I put it down for like 4-5 months and picked it up again. While I wasn't using my gp2x I was using the SD card in my digital camera. Since I picked it up again, I formatted the card no problem and used it in my card reader no problem. But I've noticed that when i've been watching a video off of the card reader(which I had no problem before) that it freezes the gp2x and I have to restart it. I can then watch it for a while and it freezes again probably ranging between 10-15 minutes. So I thought maybe it was the videos I've been watching but then I setup my gp2x so that I could telnet into it, I had done this previous no problems. I had no problems telneting this time. Then I went to transfer a file over the network to the gp2x SD card. I was tried transfering a episode of SG1 about 400megs or so and the system froze up and the computer said the network drive was no longer there. If I have a telnet session open it freezes up. I was able to transfer over a small 9 meg file no problem. Anyways after I try to transfer over the 400 meg file the computer then says access denied and the card becomes read only, I either have to change the permissions or format it on my card reader.

Has anyone had an exeriance like this? Is my card dying or is the card reader on the gp2x dying. I only have anouther 512 card I guess I could try but I'm almost scared to.

If anyone has an idea let me know.

Vimacs said:
could be that the camera formated the sd card in a strange way, try formating it with windows, or better mkdosfs.

http://www1.mager.org/mkdosfs/mkdosfs.zip
the command would be "mkdosfs -v -F 32 X:" with x being your sd cardreader

Like I said before I formatted it in windows using my card reader, but I will give mkdosfs a try.

Thanks Vimacs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you open the video files on your computer?
Can you delete them?
Are you running Windows XP?
Could be a dll problem I had a few weeks ago.

geo12 said:
Can you open the video files on your computer?
Can you delete them?
Are you running Windows XP?
Could be a dll problem I had a few weeks ago.
I can play the files fine on my computer, actually I was running ubuntu a few weeks ago and it was running fine on there(on ubuntu I was still having the same issue on the gp2x).
Recently I went back to XP so I could do programming in that enviroment, and I'm having the same problem. I was thinking of flashing the gp2x to 2.1.1 firmware and see if it fixes it, if the mkdosfs doesn't work. I have a smaller 512 sandisk SD card I might try tonight as well, but I specificlly use that in the camera so if the camera did do something to it, it could have the same problem.

I suspect that the card is just damaged. I was playing stuff off my computer on the gp2x(same files actually) and I didn't have a problem. I had mounted one of my drives. Thats why I think its either the gp2x reading the SD card or the SD card it's self. I'm worried because the card reader can access it perfectly fine.

Might be that the speed of the card isn't good and it hoops it or something as when I run a rom or something I have no problems. I also didn't have an issue with smaller filetypes. But like I said I was able to do it a few months ago.

I did the format and the firmware upgrade and so far I haven't had any freezing dunno which it was but after 25 minutes of playback it seems to be working. thanks Vimacs.

And for the completely irrelevant commentary,

oqnet said:
I tried transfering an episode of SG1
Good stuff.

Back