Is Openpandora Ready...

lambertus

Still Fresh
During the preorder madness last year the websites (openpandora, forum, etc) were nowhere near capable of handling the masses of Pandora wannahaves F5-ing vigorously trying to keep up-to-date or be the first to order. We've seen a blog post mentioning the 'calm before the storm' some weeks ago. I guess it's not difficult to imagine a media frenzy when the final Pandora arrives, so the question is: Can OpenPandora handle it and what are the precautions taken that should make the websites ride the waves of /. guests with ease?

I think ED's servers are pretty solid these days (that's where this site is now hosted, along with openpandora.org, openhandhelds.org and the file archives).

If it all goes bad, the community blog will still be up (Wordpress is bulletproof). I'll be battened down over there with enough tinned food for three months, and a shotgun. Everyone's welcome, but stay away from my beans.

Gruso said:
If it all goes bad, the community blog will still be up (Wordpress is bulletproof). I'll be battened down over there with enough tinned food for three months, and a shotgun. Everyone's welcome, but stay away from my beans.
You, sir, are funny :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, all the relevant sites on the same server(s?) makes the busyness to add up instead of spread. But maybe the spare capacity on the server is large enough to withstand the tidal wave of new vistors who all need to cache the CSS, JS, BMP's and PNG's first. We'll see.

Here's another question. If batch 1 is 4000 Pandora's and they have a replacement guarantee for defective units...will they have any extra units made in case? Let's say just 5% have a serious issue, that's still 200 units. Will those people (likely me as I always am the unlucky one!) have to wait for batch 2?
I only ask because they were going to test failure rate of the boards and I'm just guessing that things could happen during assembly that could potentially cause problems.
I would like to think they would initially produce 5000 units if thy have already sold 4000. But that's a pretty big assumption. I suppose they could just manually repair things like bad screens etc. so it may not be a big problem anyway. Just curious.

Poem58 said:
Here's another question. If batch 1 is 4000 Pandora's and they have a replacement guarantee for defective units...will they have any extra units made in case? Let's say just 5% have a serious issue, that's still 200 units. Will those people (likely me as I always am the unlucky one!) have to wait for batch 2?
I only ask because they were going to test failure rate of the boards and I'm just guessing that things could happen during assembly that could potentially cause problems.
I would like to think they would initially produce 5000 units if thy have already sold 4000. But that's a pretty big assumption. I suppose they could just manually repair things like bad screens etc. so it may not be a big problem anyway. Just curious.

I would guess the OP team would have some spare units for replacement should the need arise

I was just curious, we're getting closer to delivery time and the talk of testing for failure rates and this post about how they were going to handle the website load got me thinking.
What if.
I'm sure closer to delivery time someone will post the question again, or the team will give us info. it's no big deal. I'm gonna just pray there are no problems for anyone. That would be the worst possible thing especially for original pre-order people. I will put it out of my mind now.

Poem58 said:
I was just curious, we're getting closer to delivery time and the talk of testing for failure rates and this post about how they were going to handle the website load got me thinking.
What if.
I'm sure closer to delivery time someone will post the question again, or the team will give us info. it's no big deal. I'm gonna just pray there are no problems for anyone. That would be the worst possible thing especially for original pre-order people. I will put it out of my mind now.
*ahem*
WizardStan said:
Batch #1 is 4000 units because they sold about 3500-3800.
In other words, they've already accounted for a minimum 5% failure rate.

WizardStan said:

Don't forget they're probably giving a few away, to companies like id. That might run through another 50.

The_Oncoming_Storm_by_fantasticn9ne.jpg

The Oncoming Storm...

(Anyone who gets the reference gets a cookie.)

And I'm still waiting to see if the Pandora units will have deadlock seals, to avoid being tampered with by sonic devices.

WizardStan said:
Poem58 said:
What if.
*ahem*
WizardStan said:
Batch #1 is 4000 units because they sold about 3500-3800.

*ahem*

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you had official sales figures. Anyway, I said it was no big deal just a curiosity.

Poem58 said:
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you had official sales figures. Anyway, I said it was no big deal just a curiosity.
Numbers were given in the blog. You mean you don't religiously read back on it on a regular basis to make sure you remember the information? I thought that was a mandatory part of entry into the forum.

midna25 said:
The_Oncoming_Storm_by_fantasticn9ne.jpg

The Oncoming Storm...

And I'm still waiting to see if the Pandora units will have deadlock seals, to avoid being tampered with by sonic devices.
Uhhh, when Dr. Who (9th Doctor) more or less declared war against the Daleks? Episodes "Bad Wolf" and "The Parting of the Ways". Thats the only thing that seems to fit that picture setting.

Back on the subject of this thread. I think that OP is ready for the in flux of people on the site this time around.

Nightwheel said:
midna25 said:
The Oncoming Storm...

Uhhh, when Dr. Who (9th Doctor) more or less declared war against the Daleks? Episodes "Bad Wolf" and "The Parting of the Ways". Thats the only thing that seems to fit that picture setting.

Back on the subject of this thread. I think that OP is ready for the in flux of people on the site this time around.

Actually there is no picture setting. That is "The Oncoming Storm". Or The Dalek's name for the Doctor.

You get half a cookie. You were too specific.

2303609136_37feed24d4.jpg

Username said:
can herpes be spread by eating half a cookie and giving the other half to someone else?
Yes! It works the exact same way as a starfish.

WizardStan said:
Username said:
can herpes be spread by eating half a cookie and giving the other half to someone else?
Yes! It works the exact same way as a starfish.

What the heck are you guys doing with starfishes and the half cookies ?

Back