Is Pandora The Better Option For Me?

ama

Still Fresh
Hello,

I do system administration of a bunch of servers and I am looking for the ultimate ultraportable device which allows me, while out of the office/home, to 1) ssh to remote boxes for urgent administration and fixing servers; 2) read/write email (80x25 characters console for Mutt suffice) while abroad; 3) browse the net (Opera or Firefox); 4) listen to OGG music files; and 5) read PDF files. At the moment I use a wonderful Asus EEEPC for all that, with which I am very happy, but I find it still a bit too large/heavy while traveling.

I understand Pandora is a game console, but it seems to have the perfect size, power and look for what I'm looking for (execpt for the gaming controls, which I don't find of any use for me, since I don't play any game). Also the long battery time (10 hours) and the open source software are very important to me.

Do you guys think Pandora is the right choice for me? Do you know of any other project which would suit me better? Or, are you thinking about making any other model without games controls (more focused to communications, instead of playing)?

Thank you and regards,
Ángel

The question is whether or not using a thumb-board would be too cumbersome for you. The Pandora is easily capable of performing all the tasks you mention. SSH, email, surfing, etc... but the keyboard isn't really meant for tying a great deal on, so it would be the greatest caveat for a system administrator.

Personally, I do a bunch of remote administration as well, and I can't wait until I don't have to lug a laptop around anymore, thumb-board or no thumb-board. :)

an Acer Aspire One with 512MB RAM, Linux and SSD storage may suit you better, and be a lot cheaper at £135. At least then you have a normal'ish keyboard rather than a thumbboard & a 8.9" 1024 x 600 LCD.

I'm thinking the Pandora may be a little too small for your needs as a sysadmin.

The question is whether or not using a thumb-board would be too cumbersome for you. The Pandora is easily capable of performing all the tasks you mention. SSH, email, surfing, etc... but the keyboard isn't really meant for tying a great deal on, so it would be the greatest caveat for a system administrator.
Personally, I do a bunch of remote administration as well, and I can't wait until I don't have to lug a laptop around anymore, thumb-board or no thumb-board. :)

Well, I'm trying to travel lighter and lighter over time (I'm a one carry-on bag converted) and luging a laptop (even my beloved Asus EEEPC) is a luxury (pain) I don't want to afford much longer, you know.

Thumb typing won't be a big problem, I think, since I don't want to type a lot on it. Just enough to read email (I'll be using the "d" key a lot, to 'd'elete email on Mutt :) and usenet news, get updated about how the servers are doing and, in case it is needed log into them and fix problems which might occur. Of course, if a lot of work (typing) is needed, I always can look for a more suitable box (cybercafe, notebook, or whatever) to complete more complicated jobs.

My main concern about the games controls is that they could get into my way somehow, or that the thumb keyboard is somehow "affected" by the presence of those game buttons; i don't know really, just wondering and asking more experienced people with this kind of devices.

Since you also do remote administration jobs, what alternatives are you lurking around? Are you planning on getting a Pandora box for it?

Cheers,
Ángel

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a couple of mates who do similar system admin work and they're interested in Pandora for the same reason. They're hanging out to have a go at mine before they order. As for the gaming controls, they'll be fully mappable so you make use of them anywhere you like. Analogues for mouse & scrolling, that sort of thing.

I already have a UMPC, my beloved Assus EEEPC. I've also used an Acer Aspire One for a few days, and a super cheap (100 euro) Airis box also. Although having an almost full keyboard is nice, lugging around those boxes (over 1kg with the charger) is something I would like to avoid, since I'm in the proccess to become a really light traveler.

I really want to have a much smaller (and lighter) system which allows me to keep in touch and updated (email/Usenet/web/Jabber) and do small administration jobs (I can allways look for a more suitable box, like a notebook or a full PC somewere if I'm in need), while abroad, which doesn't add a lot of weight/used space to my carry-on bag.

Being able to place the box on a jacket or jeans poket, or on the small pocket of my great Air Boss carry on bag, would be really nice, as would it be having a long battery duration (10 hours of it in the Pandora vs. 2-3 hours on my EEEPC).

The only downside is no mobile network, like 3G or GPRS. Other then that I think it will suit you well.

I don't really know of any similar device with qwerty keyboard and linux + arm for good battery life

I've got a couple of mates who do similar system admin work and they're interested in Pandora for the same reason. They're hanging out to have a go at mine before they order. As for the gaming controls, they'll be fully mappable so you make use of them anywhere you like. Analogues for mouse & scrolling, that sort of thing.
That's interesting. Volume control for OGG files listening, mouse replacement and, perhaps, Mutt most used keys mapped would be good uses for the gaming controls. While reading mail, most of the time I just check out the first few email lines and press 'd' for deletion or space bar for scrolling down to the next 25 lines. Perhaps having those two keys mapped to larger ones (gaming controls) would be even convenient for really fast email checking.

For some time, actually, I was thinking of getting a Sony PSP, mapping the gaming controls for Mutt usage for most of the time; and getting one of those USB keyboards for other times where typing was needed. I discarded the idea when UMPC showed up, and I started using them instead of my 12" laptop. But, as I've said before, even the UMPC are way to heavy/large for what I dream to have. :)

Maybe a G1 would be more suitable, they have mobile internet and built-in keyboards.

I think from what you have said, you could be very happy with a Pandora and there is always the option of slim usb keyboard for heavy typing on the Pandora when traveling. You can find some pretty small full size qwerty keyboards for traveling and I think Pandora + Charger + Keyboard would still be liter the EEEPC + Charger.

I think from what you have said, you could be very happy with a Pandora and there is always the option of slim usb keyboard for heavy typing on the Pandora when traveling. You can find some pretty small full size qwerty keyboards for traveling and I think Pandora + Charger + Keyboard would still be liter the EEEPC + Charger.
That's a great idea. One of those superlight thin waterproof USB keyboards would fit in the full length pocket of my Red Oxx Air Boss carry on bag adding only about 200grs and ocupying allmost no space, and it would allow me to confortably type for as long as needed while administrating remote servers from abroad.

Also, there is no need to carry it all the time while traveling, I could leave it along with the charger, at the hotel, on the bag, and take with me only the Pandora on my daily bag (the Red Oxx Gator), for urgent quick use.

I'm getting really exited about the idea of replacing my Asus EEEPC with an OpenPandora for travelling, really. :)

Maybe a G1 would be more suitable, they have mobile internet and built-in keyboards.
It doesn't look bad, but although reducing weight and space is my priority, I think I prefer the cell phone to be independent from the administration wifi box. Being able to talk by phone while logged into a remote server is possible that way; and also to not worry about exausting the cell phone battery by reading mail/Usenet news is something to consider.

Also, having an open source software on my administration device is really important for me. I also like the Neo Freerunner OpenMoko, but I find it a bit too expensive. I don't think I'll finally buy both, the OpenPandora and the Freerunner, so I think I'll rather take the OpenPandora and keep using cheap simple (just call and text) cell phones.

Oh for sure one of the deciding factors for me was that this is a proper pocket computer. I haven't had one of those since my ye olde Sharp thing with a one line LCD. A very promising form factor.

Sounds like the pandora will work for you.

Could you imagine them making a pandora without gaming controls! :rolleyes:

Back