GP2X Is Python A Good Language To Learn For Gp2x Dev?

L

lol2232

I am thinking about learning python but I would like to know if python is a good language for gp2x developent. If not should I learn C/C++?

If you have programming experience then go for it. Otherwise you would be better sticking to fenix which has just been ported. I know I am !

Check out the existing ported games like pytetris, as the source is included. You should then get an indication of whether you feel you could do it.

C++ is a whee bit daunting at first. Try learning C first as its a lot easier.

Scoobyjay

Ok but is python supported by the gp2x? Or does it have to use a python interpreter and wouldnt that slow it down?

Python has been ported to the gp2x. Python is an interpretive (I think that is the term but I'm having doubts) language; meaning, you write the code and it is not "compiled" into a binary executable until you run it. Also, Python will be slower than C/C++ code could possibly be because Python is a higher level language, so the executed code will not be as optimized as possible. Python probably won't, itself, be the speed bottleneck for your first games.

mr eight ball says go with C its easy to learn and its extremely usefull then go to C++ after some experience with C (C++ incorporates a lot of elements from C so learning C first should make things easier)

a good book if your looking for one is the C programming language by brian w. kernighan and dennis m. ritchie

Okay thanks... so I guess really any language that gets ported to the gp2x is gunna be slow... so everyone should learn C/C++ lol

Depends on how much you need the speed, though. If you're planning on coding cutting edge emus or a new video encoder, or perhaps a full-scale 3D engine, then sure, go for C/C++. Or even ASM, though that's (it is commonly thought) evil. C, imo, isn't really that hard, but partially, that's a matter of opinion.

On the other hand, if you're planning on dabbling in 2D game creation, and you're not quite sure what you want to make yet, then Fenix or Python would potentially both be decent languages to try with - Fenix, especially, I've seen some amazing things done with by a guy called Nazca on the GP32. Perhaps most notably a clone of Mariokart that ran pretty nicely, and looked gorgeous.

So really it depends what you're after :). But don;t forget that 200MHz is quite a bit to play with, really. Or it certainly used to be a few years back, and personally, I don;t see why it isn't still for some applications!

Well I was wanting to port Half-Life 2 or Quake 4 but I guess I cant in python. Oh well. I might make some 2D games though like you where saying (after I learn it lol).

I am thinking about learning python but I would like to know if python is a good language for gp2x developent. If not should I learn C/C++?

Python is a great first language. Very easy to learn. And even better is that it scales well with the experience of the programmer. As you get more experience you can do more advanced things. I love programming with python and do a lot of non-speed critical applications in it. There are also some *real* nifty things you can do with it that are a lot of work in 'C'.

It's a nice change of pace after doing 'C' all day at work.

~telengard

Last edited by a moderator:
ASM isn't evil! It's just for burly, manly men.

Python on gp2x is for girls.

I'm also starting to learn Python, my first programming language, and I'm picking it up suprisingly well, I'd say go for it, it's a great first programming language in my opinion

Well I was wanting to port Half-Life 2 or Quake 4 but I guess I cant in python. Oh well. I might make some 2D games though like you where saying (after I learn it lol).
WTF u are joking right? hl2 quake 4!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Bourbon

No I was not joking... I was thinking about an Xbox 360 emu also. No I was joking but thanks for the input you guys... I think I am gunna learn python for other things still. But just for the gp2x what would be the best language to learn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back