Is Snes9x4P likely to see any updates?

Haze

Still Fresh
This has been one of the bigger disappointments since I got the Pandora (the biggest one being the shockingly poor wifi). Snes9x4P is so nearly very very good it just needs a bit more work. As it stands now even on my 1ghz some of the more demanding games suffer from occasional slowdown and pretty much every games suffers from sound issues (even Mario getting a mushroom doesn't sound right).

Is it likely this will ever be updated again? As I say it is so very close, it just needs some optimization and a bit of spit and polish.

I didn't found for now any sound or slow down problems if I use it normally, I just have issues if I use the fast forward function, anyway I will appreciate too some more work on this emu :)

I didn't found for now any sound or slow down problems if I use it normally, I just have issues if I use the fast forward function, anyway I will appreciate too some more work on this emu :)
Maybe you have a 1Ghz ? 

On my rebirth if I activate the V-sync it is notoriously not full speed. And deactivating it makes the screen jerk when scrolling. Not good in any situation, basically. Honestly disappointed to see only a single emulator for SNES despite having several alternatives for other machines. 

Those of us who have traditionally worked on snes9x4p have done 'drive by' porting. (I kicked off the port, and then Ivanovic and others have taken over, so blame us :) -- we made it work on Pandora, customizing it, changing the menu items, adding nice screen filters and scaling .. but this is all superficial dressings; the actual core work is the snes9x team of course, and then in turn SiEnCe for dingoo and such did a lot of hacking around to pick and choose features and so forth. So most of the work is snes9x team (and this version is not following any core work there at all), and SiEnCe's work (which does continue along, but not in large leaps.)

So what would be needed is someone to take an interest who actually is a passionate SNES person.

I barely touched a SNES in my life .. I did the port for others, and hence left it at a point when it was 'good enough'; then Ivanovic and sebt3 and others took over to make it to their level of 'good enough'; but none of us are hardcore SNES heads, and hence our various definitions of 'good enough' might not be enough :)

Raise the flag and stir it up, maybe you can find a dev with some time who will adopt it.

There is also the option to do a fresh port of current snes9x project; we did it a couple years ago and ran into some oddities, but maybe those are addressed by now (seems likely given the many ARM devices out there), so maybe a fresh snes9x port would have more features and accuracy (and is very easy to do, sans a GUI). I recall doing a fresh build of current snes9x only took half an hour to pull off, to see if it worked.

jeff

Maybe you have a 1Ghz ? 

On my rebirth if I activate the V-sync it is notoriously not full speed. And deactivating it makes the screen jerk when scrolling. Not good in any situation, basically. Honestly disappointed to see only a single emulator for SNES despite having several alternatives for other machines. 
I have a rebirth, and I use it at 600... I don't remember if v-sync is active or not, I left it to default, anyway I use the NTSC hardware scaling

IIRC the auto frameskip and VSYNC don't play nice together. The nicer experience is to disable frameskipping and overclock and enable VSYNC.

IIRC the auto frameskip and VSYNC don't play nice together. The nicer experience is to disable frameskipping and overclock and enable VSYNC.
Interesting - I will try that and see if this works better.

Those of us who have traditionally worked on snes9x4p have done 'drive by' porting. (I kicked off the port, and then Ivanovic and others have taken over, so blame us :) -- we made it work on Pandora, customizing it, changing the menu items, adding nice screen filters and scaling .. but this is all superficial dressings; the actual core work is the snes9x team of course, and then in turn SiEnCe for dingoo and such did a lot of hacking around to pick and choose features and so forth. So most of the work is snes9x team (and this version is not following any core work there at all), and SiEnCe's work (which does continue along, but not in large leaps.)

So what would be needed is someone to take an interest who actually is a passionate SNES person.

I barely touched a SNES in my life .. I did the port for others, and hence left it at a point when it was 'good enough'; then Ivanovic and sebt3 and others took over to make it to their level of 'good enough'; but none of us are hardcore SNES heads, and hence our various definitions of 'good enough' might not be enough :)

Raise the flag and stir it up, maybe you can find a dev with some time who will adopt it.

There is also the option to do a fresh port of current snes9x project; we did it a couple years ago and ran into some oddities, but maybe those are addressed by now (seems likely given the many ARM devices out there), so maybe a fresh snes9x port would have more features and accuracy (and is very easy to do, sans a GUI). I recall doing a fresh build of current snes9x only took half an hour to pull off, to see if it worked.

jeff
Jeff, do you remember if at the time you used notaz's sdl ? 

As you said some optimizations may be possible with latest toolchain/compilers. Not sure it would solve the core problems of snesx but this could make things a little bit faster, maybe.

I don't think I did at the time, but its been back and forth many times since (and notaz' SDL is in the current firmwares anyway by default.. just whethor or not various bits of it are being acticated is the question.)

Ivanovic was last to touch it I think .. hey man, you watching this thread and recall?

I don't think it could add much more to the framerate, but you never know..

jeff

I don't think I did at the time, but its been back and forth many times since (and notaz' SDL is in the current firmwares anyway by default.. just whethor or not various bits of it are being acticated is the question.)

Ivanovic was last to touch it I think .. hey man, you watching this thread and recall?

I don't think it could add much more to the framerate, but you never know..

jeff
Thanks for confirming !

It's surprising, it seems that Snesx is the only open source emulator for SNES around. All the others are closed source. There's usually more choice for other machines... 

Here's another SNES fan wishing for an update as well. :)
Me too.

Even a way to generally save the aspect ratio via the menu would be an improvement.

I have to change it to HW 4:3 for every game once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another SNES fan wishing for an update as well. :)
Me too.

Even a way to generally save the aspect ratio via the menu would be an improvement.

I have to change it to HW 4:3 for every game once.
Agree. And the menu where the games are listed takes forever to reappear after you end one game. We need something more efficient at least on the interface part.

I've always been pretty surprised that theres no serious SNES super-fan coder taking the SNES-emu mantle; Nintendo and SNES generally attract the highest number of people .. previous devices like gp2x etc always had a few SNES ports. But here we didn't have too many choices..I never had a SNES until late 90s or something, so its not part of my psyche :)

Our snes9x port is pretty good, so perhaps its 'good enough' that it dissuades anyone else from wanting to one-up it :eek:

fwiw, MESS includes a SNES emu and is open source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back