Is The Emulation Scene Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean_sandwich

Still Fresh
well, i have been lookin around the emulators in the archive and i noticed that so many havent been updates for a year or so. like alot of the NES emulators, GBA, and a bunch of others. even alot of great applications, (too many to name) lol

alot of them showed promise and i have been hoping that alot will come back with more support added or bugs worked out.

just for an example, we dont really have a proper NES emulator yet. the one on the gp32 was perfect!

have alot of people given up? is the GP2X scene dwindling?

what do you guys think?

Let's see--Picodrive was updated with Sega CD support. Reesy released DrPocketSNES. CPS2 emu was released a little while ago, and Zod is working on an interpreter for gpSP.

So no, I don't think it's dying. ;)

I just think alot of people got busy with "real life".

There is stuff still going on. Alot of the older systems don't seem to be going anywhere like NES, PC-Engine, GB though. Who knows though a new NES emu could pop up tomorrow.

clean_sandwich posted on Feb 16 2007 at 04:36 AM said:
just for an example, we dont really have a proper NES emulator yet.

And GPFCE is not a "proper" emulator how...?

btw we also had recently Wonderswan emu and Watara Supervision.

Last edited by a moderator:
GunPei2X posted on Feb 15 2007 at 09:36 PM said:

Well, it does have its issues, though every emulator has them.

yalborap posted on Feb 16 2007 at 01:05 AM said:

Yes, it could use some polish. I believe it's only TV-Out compatible when using the TV Fixer app. But it's still a very good and, I think, proper (whatever that means..) emulator; it plays Galaga like a dream. B)

shinneri posted on Feb 15 2007 at 10:16 PM said:
yalborap posted on Feb 16 2007 at 01:05 AM said:

Yes, it could use some polish. I believe it's only TV-Out compatible when using the TV Fixer app. But it's still a very good and, I think, proper (whatever that means..) emulator; it plays Galaga like a dream. B)

Polish, and a little fixing up of the more...Troublesome games for the NES. castlevania 3 and the like. That should do it.

I'd also like to see the button combinations fixed up a bit, but that's about it. Other than that it works, and it works well.

yalborap posted on Feb 16 2007 at 06:20 AM said:
Polish, and a little fixing up of the more...Troublesome games for the NES. castlevania 3 and the like. That should do it.

I'd also like to see the button combinations fixed up a bit, but that's about it. Other than that it works, and it works well.

The sound could use a bit of clean up, and the need for overclock eliminated. It is decent but I would think NES could be better honestly. I would have thought by now we would have a more advanced NES emu. But we don't so this has to do.

DaveC posted on Feb 15 2007 at 10:27 PM said:
yalborap posted on Feb 16 2007 at 06:20 AM said:

The sound could use a bit of clean up, and the need for overclock eliminated. It is decent but I would think NES could be better honestly. I would have thought by now we would have a more advanced NES emu. But we don't so this has to do.

True. I think it's just that...Well, every damn platform HAS an NES emulator already, including several handhelds. It gets to the point where even the most interested fellow eventually just...Runs out of stuff to play on the thing.

yalborap posted on Feb 16 2007 at 01:20 AM said:

Compatibility is one problem gpfce doesn't suffer from. Every game I have tried works perfectly, including castlevania 3.

Overall, I am very optimistic we'll see some solid emu releases this year. A vastly improved GBA emu could be just around the corner as well.

naples39 posted on Feb 15 2007 at 10:47 PM said:
yalborap posted on Feb 16 2007 at 01:20 AM said:

Compatibility is one problem gpfce doesn't suffer from. Every game I have tried works perfectly, including castlevania 3.

Overall, I am very optimistic we'll see some solid emu releases this year. A vastly improved GBA emu could be just around the corner as well.

Castlevania mostly works for me, but I do get some minor graphical glitches.

DaveC posted on Feb 15 2007 at 08:49 PM said:
I just think alot of people got busy with "real life".

There is stuff still going on. Alot of the older systems don't seem to be going anywhere like NES, PC-Engine, GB though. Who knows though a new NES emu could pop up tomorrow.
or a new ver of GNUboy, people have been asking.. :lol:

the big thing for me is gamepad support on my emulators. i use my BOB all the time. (oh, its so sweet with the cps2 emu!!!)

i just hope that the old system emu's arent forgotten. like nes, pcengine, and even gba.

also, i am pushing for a new updated nes emu with tv support and gamepad support. maybe play SMB1 or tetris head to head with my roomies. we are retrogamers. and i love the fact that the gp2x can play the older games.

its the big reason why i bought one.

clean_sandwich posted on Feb 16 2007 at 02:37 AM said:
also, i am pushing for a new updated nes emu with tv support and gamepad support.
Have you tried the TV Fixer app with GPFCE? It makes TV-Out display right (not all the time, but it does in this case). Sure, it's not as good as the emu natively supporting it, but it still works. ;)

maybe we should eventuallz make a list of all emus that need a little polishing and then have a look if we can do something for them ourselves. I am sure that it will be possible to improve a few things on our own if the devs have disappeared for a while.

I also think that there is loads that need finishing. On the other hand... all the new stuff is great and there is still emus being updated so I can't see the point about whining.

Mhmm, no GP32 user seemed to answered here so I just bring it back to light: F-Day!! I still believe, down in my little heart, that someday Ryleh will bring new joy to the GP32 and GP2X users with it's more than perfect emulators (just check the GB one on GP32...).
Till the I enjoy PicoDrive and SquidgeSNES... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back