Issue With Batteries...

gohmifune

Still Fresh
I have four Energizer and four Nuon Batteries, and none of them work any more. Worked when purchased, work in other things, just not the 2X. So far, the only thing that does work is a set of batteries that came with my charger, a French brand whose name slips my mind. Anyways, a weird rainbow pattern and an odd hum, as if it is not getting any pattern is what I get instead of the normal boot up.

Anyone encounter this before?

Would suggest getting some decent Nimh batteries and a charger

The 2x is a hungry beast and won't work with batteries without a good charge.

Therefore, batteries that may still work in other devices, won't power the 2x.

HTH.

Yeah, I had the exact same issue with some of my old batteries. I bought a pack of good Uniross 2500mAh rechargeables and they work a beaut :)

k3nn posted on Feb 27 2007 at 01:28 PM said:
Yeah, I had the exact same issue with some of my old batteries. I bought a pack of good Uniross 2500mAh rechargeables and they work a beaut :)
I think the big issue here is a good charger... I noticed with our digital cameras that my NiMHs would give substantially better life when new but quickly taper off to rather pathetic performance over just a few months. I was using a dumb charger that just continuously charged the batteries as long as they were in there at the time, as well as a fast charger that claimed to get them up to 80% charge in 30 minutes or some such, and I think I was over working the batteries to failure. I've got an Everready smart charger now - it charges slow (8 hours + to full charge) and it shuts off when the batteries reach capacity charge. My NiMHs now last much, much longer before they start to show signs of significantly decreased performance...

Last edited by a moderator:
gohmifune posted on Feb 27 2007 at 11:44 AM said:
Anyone encounter this before?

Yup, it means the batteries are toast, but some new ones.

(Putting it specifically, they can no longer provide the large requirements of the gp2x, but should still work with less demanding equipment)

As already said, it's usually down to the charger. Once they've been cycled between a poor quality charger and the gp2x, the plates inside the batteries buckle, and there output capacity is greatly reduced.

Thanks for all the input, but I think Squidge's answer hit the target. The energizer charger is terrible, no where as good as the one I currently use, but despite that, any way possible to fix these batteries, they're kinda going to waste right now, and thats $15-20 USD going to waste right now, its a shame.

Btw while we are talking about this topic:

My First Edition also show a strange habit lately.

When I (mostly the first time after some pause) start it it show the typical symtoms of emty batteries (uboot runs, but the green screen fades/gets corrupted) even with fully chared ones until I once open the battery compartment and turn/rotate the batteries (not take them out).

Related to that it also seems like the battery indicator lights up very often, especially when overclocking, even though I can still play for a few hours with those batteries.

I already though it could have something to do with that white stuff that sticks to the battery conectors of the GP2X, but roughly scraping it of doesn't seem to make a difference.

gohmifune posted on Feb 27 2007 at 02:26 PM said:
Thanks for all the input, but I think Squidge's answer hit the target. The energizer charger is terrible, no where as good as the one I currently use, but despite that, any way possible to fix these batteries, they're kinda going to waste right now, and thats $15-20 USD going to waste right now, its a shame.

Well, the only practical way is to let them become flat in other not so power hungry equipment, and then charge them full with a decent charger. Repeat 4 - 5 times and they may get better. However, if the plates inside are not damaged, the only way of repair is to replace these - not practical.

Julius posted on said:
Related to that it also seems like the battery indicator lights up very often, especially when overclocking, even though I can still play for a few hours with those batteries.

The battery light will come on depending on the battery voltage. The higher you overclock, the higher the current consumption. The higher the current consumption, the more the voltage from the batteries will sag.

If you're tired of standard batteries you can use this:
gp2xthunderpowerpack4ae1.jpg
more info in the spanish community :p

chipan posted on Feb 27 2007 at 04:54 PM said:

WOW! Battery/stand combo for the win!

Squidge thanks again, I have a charger that has a refresh cycle, but doesn't work, at least I know why. Much appreciated.

mine have gone too. they still work but not for very long. they also go flat if i leave them in the gp2x even if they are "fully" charged.
i just cant be fucked buying new ones

I second the recommendation for Vapex batteries. Energizer 2500s are also pretty good (they're made by Sanyo). I'm not sure if Uniross have gotten any better over the past year or so, but their stuff is usually junk - insane self-discharge rates (I've got a pair of Uniross AAAs that self-discharge over a weekend - they've been used barely a dozen times), poor capacity (nowhere near the spec - I measured a '700mAh' Uniross AAA at 340mAh), name it.

It's probably also worth pointing out that you also need a decent charger. The Minwa MW6278 'Intercept' ( http://www.minwa.com.hk/newDesign/products...rch.asp?id=2505 ) is a pretty decent 'intelligent' fast charger (2h30m ish for a set of fully discharged 2700 AAs). I got mine (with a set of Vapex AAs) from a company called Mickey's Electronics at a local radio rally/hamfest - contact details are:
Mickey's Electronics
126 Turner Street, Stoke on Trent, Staffs, ST1 2NE
Phone: 01782 769267
Email: sales ~at~ mickeys.co.uk

There are other places selling them - search Google for 'MW6278' to find them. A few companies are even selling them through Amazon. You can't really go wrong for £15...

Julius posted on Feb 27 2007 at 02:42 PM said:
When I (mostly the first time after some pause) start it it show the typical symtoms of emty batteries (uboot runs, but the green screen fades/gets corrupted) even with fully chared ones until I once open the battery compartment and turn/rotate the batteries (not take them out).

I already though it could have something to do with that white stuff that sticks to the battery conectors of the GP2X, but roughly scraping it of doesn't seem to make a difference.
Any contamination of the battery connectors will result in degraded performance at the sort of current drain the GP2X has. You should make a point of keeping it all very clean and ensure strong springy contacts.

- Avoid touching the metal parts of the battery or battery contacts when changing batteries. Clean off fingerprints on a clean cloth.

- Get rid of all of that white deposit. It is worrying that you see this as it suggests your batteries are leaking or gassing. Old or overcharged batteries will do this. Replace them.

- Use some contact cleaner or a small amount of isopropyl alcohol from time to time to keep the battery compartment springs clean. (Avoid getting any on the plastic.) If there's any corrosion or the plating is coming off it may cause real trouble.

The same points apply to the charger you use. Poor contact in the charger can result in over or under charging of the batteries.

After a period of non-use a thin layer of oxidation and corrosion have had time to get worse. This is why people use gold-plated connectors if available!

Hope that helps! :)

Laser posted on Mar 2 2007 at 02:02 PM said:
- Get rid of all of that white deposit. It is worrying that you see this as it suggests your batteries are leaking or gassing. Old or overcharged batteries will do this. Replace them.

Na, I am pretty sure that it is just the thin oxidation layer that especially occours on the first edition models it seems.

But I became dubious of my charger killing the batteries, so I bought a new high quality battery set and will try it as soon as they are charged.

Edit: Jep the batteries where at fault... damn those 2600mAh where just a over one year old. I really have to remember not to discharge the new ones that much.

chipan posted on Feb 28 2007 at 12:54 AM said:

Where can I get one??

Lol !

Like the Gp2x Farting !!!

Question to Squige, who seem to know a lot about battery,

Is there a REAL Good charger for NiMH in the industry that we could buy ?
One that don't butcher the battery,

Thanks for the info,
Paxl13

Back