Its Alive!!! Its Alive!!(diy Flu!!!)

nerd of nerds

w00t!!!!
YESSSSS after about an hour of fitting and modding to my preeciousss gp32 i got my flu in it...but... it isn't as bright as i would like it to be... does anyone know what the lowest resistance resistor you can put on an afterburner?

and to clarify I DIDN'T use the afterburner, i used a part from it, the part that makes the light, not the one that spreads it onto the screen, i DID however use a part very similar to that...

i just need to know what the lowest ohm i can put there... i might add a volt as well, if i can find some more on the gp32...and i don't know the if batteries were fully charged... :unsure:

so, i have the first diy flu unit EVER!!!!!! MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

i will be working on my webpage the next few days so i can post a shizload of pics... so stay "tuned"

EDIT: shit...i didn't realize that it was april 1st...that is REALLY gonna make people not believe me...poop...

yeah, I just made the first DIY BLU.

I used a shrink ray on my Halogen spotlight and put it in there and now I have to wear sunglasses so I can see the screen.

nerd of nerds posted on Apr 1 2004 at 04:16 AM said:
YESSSSS after about an hour of fitting and modding to my preeciousss gp32 i got my flu in it...but... it isn't as bright as i would like it to be... does anyone know what the lowest resistance resistor you can put on an afterburner?

and to clarify I DIDN'T use the afterburner, i used a part from it, the part that makes the light, not the one that spreads it onto the screen, i DID however use a part very similar to that...

i just need to know what the lowest ohm i can put there... i might add a volt as well, if i can find some more on the gp32...and i don't know the if batteries were fully charged... :unsure:

i will be working on my webpage the next few days so i can post a shizload of pics... so stay "tuned"

EDIT: shit...i didn't realize that it was april 1st...that is REALLY gonna make people not believe me...poop...
That is good. But what would really be cool would be a DIY BLU, especially since a BLU doesn't exist. Maybe try to see if you can remove the silver backing on the LCD and light it from behind. You may have to use an EL panel or more efficient would be an LED which would go through a frosted white piece of plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Apr 1 2004 at 05:06 AM said:
nerd of nerds posted on Apr 1 2004 at 04:16 AM said:

That is good. But what would really be cool would be a DIY BLU, especially since a BLU doesn't exist. Maybe try to see if you can remove the silver backing on the LCD and light it from behind. You may have to use an EL panel or more efficient would be an LED which would go through a frosted white piece of plastic.
sigh...

the "silver backing" isn't removable...it is INSIDE the lcd...

and this is real... you can check my old work on this forum...a while back, i think that the title was something like "nerd or the nerds diy flu pics" not sure tho...

it isn't quite as bright as it was in those pics...but there is much less dust (still wuite a bit...) and scratches (none ;) )

i think i need a special forum status and picture...like the certified gp32 guru, or the developer one...certified DIY FLU!!

it is cool the have the ONLY diy flu gp32...i am special!!

i'm tired... i will be taking pics tomorrow!

The lowest resistance in an afterburner that I've used is 5 ohm . The one included is 30 ohm.
But you had to have good batteries to support that.

And I use a 2.2 ohm in a GP32 but the same deal, GOOD NEW BATTERIES or a wall plug.

jonjandran posted on Apr 1 2004 at 01:20 PM said:
The lowest resistance in an afterburner that I've used is 5 ohm . The one included is 30 ohm.
But you had to have good batteries to support that.

And I use a 2.2 ohm in a GP32 but the same deal, GOOD NEW BATTERIES or a wall plug.
ok, thanks, i will try that...hoping that you are telling the truth...cuz if leds get too much current they pop, and if i blow up my gp32 cuz of you... ;)

i was able to get it a bit brighter by soldering it to better parts of the board, with better connections...

i need to m=find my parents digital camera, then i'll take a ton of pics!!!

Try using a brighter bulb*or more juice* and get one of the thoes dimmer things :D *i have no clue about moding electronics like this XD*
But hey, congrats on the DIY Flu :D

Nice one dude, what kind of switch are u using and where have u put it? Or does it just turn on when u start the gp?

Edit: Was just thinkin, if you ever planned to modify the light anymore you could maybe stick an ldr on the front and set it up so that when it gets dark enough then the light would pop on. Just a thought B).

Dozer posted on Apr 1 2004 at 03:50 PM said:
Nice one dude, what kind of switch are u using and where have u put it? Or does it just turn on when u start the gp?
i wanted to get it done quickly and i was up pretty late...so there is no switch or dimmer...i will be going to get some better resistors later today, i hope that will make it brighter...

the first time i wired it i had the power running off of the power switch, that wasn't very bright, so i found the "dye your gp32" guide cuz that has pics of where the wires go... and that made it a lot brighter (still not as good as i would like...)

there is a trapezoid effect...i think i know how to make it stop tho...and there is a shizload of dust...

as much as i would LOVE to make a guide, its just to hard to find the parts, i got my afterburner RIGHT before they closed...and even then i had to steal it out of my gba...and the light guides are hard to find as well, there are hardly ever aucions on ebay for JUST busted lcds...

and i could post pics as soon as i find my digital camera...i need to find it tho...

EDIT: i actually thought about doing that, with a photoresistor... maybe... i'm not sure if it would be worth it, yes it would save battery life, but it would be annoying... i will get a switch of some type...

Back