I've Just Ordered My F200 From Gp2x.co.uk

Fruity

Still Fresh
Hi guys :D

I'm a little gutted as I have just bought a F100 value pack a few weeks ago and I have just found out about the new F200 :angry:

Even so, I have decided to order a F200 as GP2X.co.uk are now taking orders.

I feel the only way i'm going to find out if it's any better is by testing one for myself and probably selling one of them depending on the outcome.

Don't get me wrong I love my F100 but I hate the Thumbstick. What's the point in having an analog style stick when the Atari 800, C64, Amiga, Master System, Megadrive, Nes, Snes games which I play originally used either digital D pads or Joysticks. I'm sure i'm not the only one that feels this way.

Apparently you can use SDHC cards up to 32GB ! :blink:

Not too fussed about the fancy touch screen idea as I feel it's not neccessary.

Is anyone else going to buy one ?

If I've got enough left over next week I think I might just have to. I think my First Edition Mk1 has a loose connection on it's power socket which means burning through batteries when I'm dev'ing (I keep forgetting to switch it off whilst I'm coding / watching TV).

Hmm...I hadn't thought of this before, but couldn't the screen get scratched up because it's a touch screen? It's certainly happened to the DS. And, unlike the DS, you don't have a second screen that would have no scratches to watch video on or play games on

quadomatic said:
Hmm...I hadn't thought of this before, but couldn't the screen get scratched up because it's a touch screen? It's certainly happened to the DS. And, unlike the DS, you don't have a second screen that would have no scratches to watch video on or play games on
Thats why you use replacable screen protectors, None of my DS, PDA, Zodiac have one single scratch on them because I use screen protectors from day 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Touchscreen could be coo; for instance, Battlejewels is much more intuitive and natural with touchscreen when you can tap-and-drag to push a orb around, and of course Amiga and ST emulation are improved.

I'm just wondering if its actually implemented right in the hardware; when GPH blew a basic joystick in the Mk1 it make sme worry about how capable they are :p

jeff

I am curious about the F-200. The pad may be rubbish but I can mod it. I just wonder if the FW is going to be crap and break most apps. Knowing GPH I would say it probably will ;) I just wonder if the FW can be downgraded to 2.1.1 so that everything works.

Does anyone have any firm release dates other than "sometime in October" ?

quadomatic said:
Actually I get the impression the touch screen on the DS isn't very good, you can scratch it easily. I have a PDA with a touchscreen and I use that to death, the stylus never leaves a mark on it. So lets hope the F200s screen is made out of the same stuff :)

WarmFluffyUK said:
quadomatic said:
Actually I get the impression the touch screen on the DS isn't very good, you can scratch it easily. I have a PDA with a touchscreen and I use that to death, the stylus never leaves a mark on it. So lets hope the F200s screen is made out of the same stuff :)

I've got a DSLite and after many hours of use, not a single mark. (even frantic EBA)

Some people's DSs are probably marked for the same reason that all my C64 joysticks broke when I was 7.

I'm not saying that the C64 joysticks were bad quality by the way. ;)

just ordered my gp2x f200.. My original gp2x broke so this is a no brainer to me.

I think the touch screen can be really good for homebrew.. Some of the homebrew on DS uses touch screen well..

I dont understand why people are taking the touch screen negatively.. It ads another control method for new and improved homebrew.. and even mouse emulation on some games.. Open your minds.. Its added control for an otherwise great system..

i just hope the pad is good.. Gp32/gp2x always had control issues with the joysticks..

Being less than a millimeter away from dpad modding my F100 MK2 I decided to take the plunge and pre-order a F200. My F100 gets yet another reprieve from the life-threatening Dremel. I figure if the new controls are still not good enough the F200 could get a dpad mod as well.

Thats why you use replacable screen protectors, None of my DS, PDA, Zodiac have one single scratch on them because I use screen protectors from day 1.
[/quote]

You misunderstood me. I said I would have one if I could but apparently they have stopped making them now. Maybe I will buy a universal pack from jessops for £5.00 for 3.

I gotta buy one of these, although I haven't ordered it yet.

I seriously don't understand the hostility towards a touch screen. It adds so much to games. You just need to look at the wealth of PalmOS and PocketPC games that use a touchscreen. I guess this crowd only has access to the DS.

I have to get an F200 though because my MK 1 has the crappiest joystick ever, the dpad can't possibly be worse. Touchscreen is a huge bonus.

Faraz Parsa said:
F200 is just a cash cow. The touchscreen idea is stupid and unless it can emulate DS, it doesn't have my buy.

Flame me.
right, not worthwhile for emulating game consoles although using it as touch/virtual lightgun for NES games would be neat.

But the real use of a touchscreen on the gp2x even if all the other specs stay the same is to use it as a mouse for computer emulators like the Mac, Amiga, and Atari ST emulators. If the emulator writer added touch screen support for these apps, I'd get one just for that.

Back