Japanese Input

Breyyne

Still Fresh
Silly Question, probably, from someone that hasn't used Linux in far too long.

Does the Pandora have the ability to input Japanese Text?

I know the keyboard is not Japanese, But with a little digging you can set a Windows box to convert Roman charaters into Japanese characters with even a standard 101. Is this something that can be done easily with the Pandora as it ships or will I need to dig through Linux forums or even work out the coding for it?

Note: I don't yet own a Pandora, so I won't be able to check any advice. But I will appriciate and directions given now, when I get it.

There were some talk about this before:

As far as I know I have not seen a solution for japanese input in the main OS. Drack seemed to be interested trying to get it woking at the time so maybe you could PME him.

Personnaly I haven't really tried to be honnest. Japanese input on the linux desktop makes my head explode. Seriously I've never managed to get japense input and deadkey working in all the app I use. There are some bugs that are have been opened for literally years. Anaway that's another story...

I know I have managed to get it working under debian in a chroot (using PanDebian of course). Debian as packages for pretty much everything. I think I installed scim-anthy and some other related packages but I am not sure since it has been some time. It should be possible to get something working in the main OS but it seems to requiere some more work.

I am wondering how many people are learning / know japanese on this board :)

UIM is the best input method for Linux so far, uim-mozc (warning: mozc is huge) and uim-anthy backends for it are really good.

I think debian and arch linux arm should have it. There is also SCIM but it's not so good.

uim-vim-urxvt.png

Afaik, pandora image doesn't have and PND for such thing would be annyoining to do. Angstrom feeds might have package for it, but doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally tend to use IBus on desktop GNU/Linux.

Unfortunately, nothing has been ported to the Pandora as of yet. This really should be fixed.

(Fun fact: the Pandora, or maybe it's just Midori in its default settings, displays most Japanese text, but 楽, the kanji for fun, shows up as a box. Ironic, eh?)

Thanks guys, I will start digging around. It will be interesting tweaking my Pandora when i get it.

Fun Fact: To use a Japanese keyboard with a US install of any windows after XP you have to hack the registry.

(Fun fact: the Pandora, or maybe it's just Midori in its default settings, displays most Japanese text, but 楽, the kanji for fun, shows up as a box. Ironic, eh?)

Didn't you learn as a child, the Box is always more fun than what is inside. =^.^=

Fun Fact: To use a Japanese keyboard with a US install of any windows after XP you have to hack the registry.
Er, that's not true. Just go to Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Keyboards and Languages tab -> Change Keyboards. If you have the category view set, Region and Language is under the Clock, Language, and Region category.

Didn't you learn as a child, the Box is always more fun than what is inside. =^.^=
Just like the newspaper you put down before messy DIY stuff is always more interesting than whatever you are supposed to be - I found an article about the new 'google phone' the other day.

Having said that I don't see a Pandora('s box) with no software (inside it) being much fun... :)

Is that at all relevant? Maybe I should shut up...

Er, that's not true. Just go to Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Keyboards and Languages tab -> Change Keyboards. If you have the category view set, Region and Language is under the Clock, Language, and Region category.

For Japanese input on a standard keyboard that method works. But even after doing that, My Japanese keyboard continued to be registered as an stanard US 101. Real annoying when the special keys for puncuation and the like are in different locations on the board than the computer things. (Ie " is over the 2 and @ is near the enter key.)

For Japanese input on a standard keyboard that method works. But even after doing that, My Japanese keyboard continued to be registered as an stanard US 101. Real annoying when the special keys for puncuation and the like are in different locations on the board than the computer things. (Ie " is over the 2 and @ is near the enter key.)
Oh, Japanese keyboard. Sorry, misread.

I am living in Japan and very interested in knowing how one can type in japanese on pandora, in the OS itself. Any progress yet?

Install mozc and uim and you are all set.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of mozc!

Apparently it's only built for unbuntu at this stage. I wonder if it would work for Angrstrom / xfce.

EDIT: there may be some issue with the dependencies:

• gcc/g++
  • Python
  • IBus (-libus-1.0)
  • OpenSSL (-lcrypto)
  • GLib (-glib-2.0, -lgobject-2.0)
  • GTK+
  • Zinnia
  • Subversion
  • Qt4

We have everything except for Zinnia, but what exactly are those problems?

P.S.

It was work with Zaxxon but actually I didn't try it on SuperZaxxon.

So don't know it working on it or not.

Hi all

uim-anthy is already ported to Pandora more than years ago so you don't need to make yourself.

http://www1.axfc.net.../N/so/128700.gz

For more information for Japanese environment (Japanese only, so might need translation if you can't read Japanese)

http://www45.atwiki....a/pages/15.html

Thanks for finding this out!!

I will check it out and see if it works for me :)

Hopefully might help for you.

Actually I tested with Super Zaxxon Final and it works perfectly if apps support UTF-8.

So may be this is solution of your request?

Actually I tested with Super Zaxxon Final and it works perfectly if apps support UTF-8.

So may be this is solution of your request?

SOmehow it does not work for me... it installed an menu for input method but there is no toolbar at the bottom... maybe I did not do something correctly for the .profile instructions ?

export XMODIFIERS=@im=uim

export GTK_IM_MODULE=uim

uim-xim &

uim-toolbar-gtk &

do you just type this in the terminal, or do you have to add these lines to a file?

Back