Release Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is the Full version Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy.

preview1.png

You need Data files to make it runs. Install Full (or Demo) version on a PC or using Wine (no need to update to v1.01) and copy the "base" folder to your appdata/jediacademy folder.

If you don't own the full game, you can try the Demo version, Ready2Run here. If you already have the demo, you can use the full version that also support Demo data.

The Demo feature 2 levels from the full game, but you play them with more advanced powers (mainly for the Moss Esley level).

preview1.png

This one share a lot of code with Jedi Knight II, so I mostly repeat what's on JK2 thread.

Key layout as been adapted to the Pandora, and it's JK2 control (simplified, no inventory here):

D-PAD to Move (left/right is Strafe)

Right nub to move the camera

Jump: {X}
Force: {A}

Crouch: {B}
Interact: {Y}
Prev Force: O
Next Force: P
Prev Weapon: K
Next Weapon: L
Lightsaber Style: Y
Toggle Perspective: M
Change Weapons: Number keys
Datapad : {start}
force grip N
force speed B
force distract G
force heal H
force throw I
force lightning J
force pull U
Open Console D
Close Console TAB

About performances, this game can be slow on some areas, mainly large room/open space with lots of round objetcs (pipes), and/or when many guys are active (many = more than 5 or 6).

32bits and 16bits Textures are supported, but not compressed texture.

Also, OpenAL is not working perfectly, and is eating a lot of perf. So disable "EAX" (it is by default) for better performances (you need build 02+ for that).

For CC Pandora model, you should use "low" texture resolution (it's medium by default), and stick to 16bits, because of memory constraint.

For Rebirth, you can choose medium, but you should stay at 16bits.

And an hint: you can use (at least on Gigahertz model) "medium" for geometry, and it was running as well as "low", just prettier !

Also, note that on Gigahertz model, on certain level (like the 1st one), you may experience a few graphical glitches when using default drivers. You'll be warned about that on 1st start. The glitches disapears when using beta newer driver. There are not too annoying anyway.

History log
========
Build 06
-----------

• Added support for Hardware Gamma
  • Fresh build
Build 05
-----------

• Added "noshouldermb" support
  • Tear free glSwapBuffer
  • Fresh compile (faster?)
Build 04
-----------

• Added Joystick support, in true analogic mode (including a rolling-evade that works)
  • Configure Left Nub as Joystick
  • New default config file (optionnal) to automaticaly use the nub joystick.
  • Toggle Crouch (smart version, that doesn't interfere with evade action)
  • Added 2 config file to change behavour of nubs (see left_nub and right_nub in the home folder of appdata)
  • Use Right shoulder for Left clic and Left Shoulder for Right clic

Build 03
-----------

• Many GLES optimisation, especialy in volumetric shadow and "quicksprite" (used on many surface). Better framerates
  • Many fixes to GLES renderer (mainly weather effect and shadow).
  • Fixed Mouse Y axis acceleration, that should be slower and not faster than X axis
  • Some fixes/refinement in the launch script
Build 02
-----------

• Added ability to disable use of OpenAL (unselect EAX). It was forced on before. Better performances, and some buggin sounds solved.
  • New refined default layout, with direct Force access, thanks to Askarus (no need to delete, you will have a question to upgrade or not)

Build 01
-----------

• Initial build
  • Pandora controls
  • Adapted to OpenGLES-1
  • some neon optimizations

For those interested, here are the sources. Well, it's a diff of the git sources: , and the diff from build 04: jediacademy_pandora.tar.gz

I have declared 5 #define this time. So beside the usual "PANDORA" (for pandora specifics, like screensize or buttons), and "HAVE_GLES", you'll find "ARM" (to avoid x86 assembly), "NEON" (for Neon specifics optimisations) and AUTOAIM (for the Aim Assist code).
You can also find everything on this git: https://github.com/ptitSeb/JediAcademyLinux

Attachments

• jeadiacademi.tar.gz
    46.8 KB · Views: 511
  • jediacademy_pandora.tar.gz
    53.4 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Nice, thanks! Been playing Outcast lately and it's working nicely. I'm actually running Outcast with Geometry at High instead of medium, and it seems to work fine too?

Will we see the multiplayer components? Was that also open-sourced?

Nice, thanks! Been playing Outcast lately and it's working nicely. I'm actually running Outcast with Geometry at High instead of medium, and it seems to work fine too?

Will we see the multiplayer components? Was that also open-sourced?
Well, high geometry works too, but it may slow down on certain level. Many options do works in the setup, only very few are disabled in the code. With Academy, you also have volumetry shadow that works, and dynamic lighting, but all that slow the games (too much to my taste at least). Only shaders, that requires GLES2 are disabled (in academy only, JK2 doesn't have that).

About multiplayer, the sources I used where only SinglePlayer, the MP part was left apart. But it is opensourced yes. I may try some other source base at one time (like OpenJK), I'm not sure when.

outcast? as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcast_(video_game)

is this running on pandora?
Nope, it was Jedi Outcast. Outcast was not opensourced, right? But yes, that was a good game too.

Well, high geometry works too, but it may slow down on certain level. Many options do works in the setup, only very few are disabled in the code. With Academy, you also have volumetry shadow that works, and dynamic lighting, but all that slow the games (too much to my taste at least). Only shaders, that requires GLES2 are disabled (in academy only, JK2 doesn't have that).
Yeah, I haven't reached the more demanding areas yet. I'll probably have to adjust my settings again then.

About multiplayer, the sources I used where only SinglePlayer, the MP part was left apart. But it is opensourced yes. I may try some other source base at one time (like OpenJK), I'm not sure when.
I see :)

Sweet.  More death by incompetent thumbs.  You're awesome ptitSeb!

Downloading data on Steam right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hope, the game used only 2 DVDs, becouse i only found the 2 DVDs of the Game, but the third DVD has some scratches on it..

try to install it on my pc now..

Or i have to download it via steam, this game cant be that expensive anymore..

EDIT:  Ditnt seems to work whit the DVD2, so i fear i have to download the game via steam ...

EDIT2: Na, i order a used Version of Jedi Knight 3 on Amazon.., until then i play Jedi Outcast on Pandora and Animal Crossing on 3DSXL..

PtitSeb, go take a break!  Even us gamers can't keep up with your churning out quality games!

Thanks for the good work!

Great release to be sure. Man I wish someone would open source the star trek games that came out the same period this did. Elite force,.Starfleet academy 2 and bridge commander would be great on Pandora. C'mon Activision let us have those games open sourced!

Great release to be sure. Man I wish someone would open source the star trek games that came out the same period this did. Elite force,.Starfleet academy 2 and bridge commander would be great on Pandora. C'mon Activision let us have those games open sourced!
And you know that Elite Force has been done just before Jedi Outcast... There are many comment about Elite Force and Borg things in the sources code :)

So it could be a quite easy port with the sources available...

/>

And you know that Elite Force has been done just before Jedi Outcast... There are many comment about Elite Force and Borg things in the sources code :)

So it could be a quite easy port with the sources available...
Well, I can dream than of being able to someday being elite force. Even better if the expansion is supported too.

Don't take me wrong though, I'm loving these star wars games that just came out, real fun.

Someone reverse engineered the Elite Force Multiplayer Mode (but only multiplayer) at ioquake3.org.

Havent been around here for quite a while now due to the lack of time ...

... when I first read about JK 2 , JK 3 and Freespace running on the Pandora ...

... I was just stunned ... it took my breath away ... *are you serious !?* ...

... I just gave JK 3 yesterday eve a go ...

... Awesome work there ptitSeb !

I m speechless =) ...

... wondering if that becomes possible with Heavy Metal FAKK 2 (Quake3engine) and Heretic 2 (Quake2engine) or even Rune (UnrealTournamentengine) as well some day ...

Heavy Metal would bee Great, i have also the CD of this Game :)

A shame this Game ditnt became a Sequel..

My new used Jedi Knight 3 is on the Postway to mee, because my old game ditnt work because the scretches on the DVD..

Played JK2 Yesterday a lot, its realy cool on the Pandora, but its seems like it need a lot Batterie,

my Akku was from 89 % now on 35 %..

Circuitco Board, 800 mhz, 4 Hours Play, and lightning hight, maybe its because these..

But the Batterie Saver cant work if the CPU needs to many mhz..

JK3 (and JK2) are very demanding games. And I fixed max fps quite high in default config files. You can try to lower the maxFPS, from "120" to "60" for example (or try even lower setting), to maybe save a bit of batterie. Edit your config (in appdata/jediacademy/home/.jk3-ja/jaconfig.cfg).

Circuitco Board, 800 mhz, 4 Hours Play, and lightning hight, maybe its because these..

But the Batterie Saver cant work if the CPU needs to many mhz..
I had background lightning to Zero as I played on TV out.

I always try to keep background lightning on lowest level.#

4 Hours of playing with overclocked CPU, fully used GPU and max LCD brightness seems not that bad for me.

Back