Johann Sebastian Joust - Video Games in Real Life

foxblock

Asleep
So they did it again.

Their first strike of genius was called "B.U.T.T.O.N.", which is a party game requiring you to get off your ass, race against and cheat on your friends in the real world just to press one button (on your own or friends controller).

It's hilarious when played on a party, even more when alcohol is involved and even even more when played on a boat.

(Video at the bottom of this post)

Now Copenhagen Game Collective has presented their latest title (yet to be released), called Johann Sebastian Joust.

This game requires even less one would usually associate with traditional video games, as you don't even look at a screen.

Basically everybody in a group gets a Wii-Remote or PlaystationMove Controller, a laptop is placed anywhere near playing music and the goal is to hit your opponent or his controller hard enough (with whatever you feel appropriate) for him to be expelled from the round. The faster the music the higher the threshold for movement of your controller is, so the game becomes very dynamic and random.

http://vimeo.com/25118330

More information here

So, what do you think of this?

Are those still video games? Is this the direction to go ("taking video games to the streets")? Is this just "Casual games extreme"? Or maybe an alternate form of video games we will be seeing more of in the future (hopefully or sadly)

The above mentioned B.U.T.T.O.N. video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aAOplz5ri5k?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Using digital tools while playing a game does not make that game a video game.

E.g. if you utilize your console to play the music in a game of musical chairs then you're still just playing musical chairs.

So no, to me Johann Sebastian Joust is clearly NOT a video game.

Well obviously the laptop is also running the whole game-code (detecting and calculating motion data from the controllers, assigning players and colours, etc.), it's not JUST playing music.

You could not play this game with generic, available toys, unless you somehow re-program the controllers and build a central control unit.

Well obviously the laptop is also running the whole game-code (detecting and calculating motion data from the controllers, assigning players and colours, etc.), it's not JUST playing music.

You could not play this game with generic, available toys, unless you somehow re-program the controllers and build a central control unit.
No, that's true. An other example then, when you go laser shooting a computer is tracking your score. Does this mean you're playing a video game? I understand that this is doing more than just tracking score.

In my opinion, if you're not even looking at a screen then you're not playing a video-game. Instead, this is a computer assisted game.

[edit]By the way, by that definition, B.U.T.T.O.N. is a video-game.[/edit]

No, that's true. An other example then, when you go laser shooting a computer is tracking your score. Does this mean you're playing a video game? I understand that this is doing more than just tracking score.

In my opinion, if you're not even looking at a screen then you're not playing a video-game. Instead, this is a computer assisted game.

[edit]By the way, by that definition, B.U.T.T.O.N. is a video-game.[/edit]
Okay I agree, the term of "computer assisted game" seems to apply pretty well here.

Anyway, as I did not only want to discuss the term "video game", nor Rémi Gaillard videos (although they are pretty hilarious), let's try to move on.

I personally think the JSJ concept is a pretty great one, it takes the already established motion controls and "family games" one step further.

In this game everyone never having played a video game before can participate and can have fun (looking at the video you probably even get people to play who would not touch Wii Sports), yet the game is pretty save from "hardcore gamers" who figure out the little exploits to always get a highscore (think Wii Bowling in which you can get a guaranteed strike once you get where to place the ball) - meaning there still is a learning curve, but being a gamer does not give you an advantage.

Also not requiring a screen it's a game you can literally play anywhere (with different effects), it's like "Settlers of Catan" where every new set-up of the board requires you to think differently and try a slightly varying strategy.

And like BUTTON it seems an excellent party game.

I hope concepts like this, which freely explore the gameplay aspects of motion controls rather than fixing them to wiggling around a remote or pointing it at a screen, will be developed further and see more emphasis in the future.

Back