Joy2X And N64 Troubles

drumpi

Hello everyone:

I was looking some help, but I can't found nothing. I looked for more info on Open2X files itself, using termula and a usb keyboard.
I have the Open2x firm (not the lastest beta, the previous version) and have a N64 control pad who works PERFECTLY on my gp2x: i can play an redefine keys on Picodrive (EVERY key), i can navigate and use on officials menus...
But i can't configure with joy2x utility: when it says to pull joystick up, nothing happens, so I change the switch of my adapter to PS2 joypad position, and can skip it. The same whit left. But the others buttons works fine with this configuration program.
But when i return to main screen, all keys works fine... but d-pad, I must use the joypad of GP2X, so i can play with gp2x joy and N64 buttons.

I think there is a compatibility issue with analog pad, so, if i can't use the analog, i don't worry to use de d-pad, but i don't know how to configure it. I was looking for config file to put values manually, but i don't find it too.

Can you help me, please?
Thanks.

Drumpi said:
Hello everyone:

I was looking some help, but I can't found nothing. I looked for more info on Open2X files itself, using termula and a usb keyboard.
I have the Open2x firm (not the lastest beta, the previous version) and have a N64 control pad who works PERFECTLY on my gp2x: i can play an redefine keys on Picodrive (EVERY key), i can navigate and use on officials menus...
But i can't configure with joy2x utility: when it says to pull joystick up, nothing happens, so I change the switch of my adapter to PS2 joypad position, and can skip it. The same whit left. But the others buttons works fine with this configuration program.
But when i return to main screen, all keys works fine... but d-pad, I must use the joypad of GP2X, so i can play with gp2x joy and N64 buttons.
, I tried to make it pretty intelligent and flexible.
I think there is a compatibility issue with analog pad, so, if i can't use the analog, i don't worry to use de d-pad, but i don't know how to configure it. I was looking for config file to put values manually, but i don't find it too.

Can you help me, please?
Thanks.

It sounds to me like your adapter or the N64 controller itself is not reporting high values when the joystick is pressed in various directions. Try adjusting the deadzone value to a lower value, going all the way down if you have to. You can see on the menu where you can change it to a pretty wide range of values and I think the default is 96 or something. Then, try going through the reconfiguration process. If it still doesn't work, you might try making that same deadzone adjustment, saving the configuration and exiting, then restarting joy2xd_cfg and see if it recognizes movement of the joystick.

My joy2xd_cfg program will recognize standard joystick axis movement from any axis, so if it works with picodrive it should work with my utility. It is not limited to just axes 0 or 1, or anything silly like that. It is designed to be flexible and intelligent. I'd be pretty surprised if there's a USB gamepad out there that will work with Picodrive but won't work with my utility. It reads values directly from the linux devices, it doesn't go through any intermediate layers, which is probably the exact same way picodrive does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try again, but i don't saw the deadzone option or else. Simply it sais "press up", and I gradually go from center to up, without any changes, like if analog joy was not recognized.
But don't misunderstand me: analog joy don't works on picodrive, only de D-pad (the left cross of trident), so if it don't works at all, don't worry about it, i can survive with d-pad :D

Drumpi said:
I will try again, but i don't saw the deadzone option or else. Simply it sais "press up", and I gradually go from center to up, without any changes, like if analog joy was not recognized.
But don't misunderstand me: analog joy don't works on picodrive, only de D-pad (the left cross of trident), so if it don't works at all, don't worry about it, i can survive with d-pad :D

I can assure you there is a deadzone adjustment, it is I think the second option on the main menu, you press left or right to adjust it up or down. If using the DPAD part of your controller, you might consider adjusting it alll the way down to 1. If the analog doens't work with Picodrive, I would focus on getting that DPAD working instead, but also playing with the deadzone adjustment. The only instance I can think of that would cause it to have problems is if the DPAD did not report as axes but instead as buttons, much as the GP2X itself does. This is actually pretty bizarre behavior and the only place I've seen it is, indeed, with GPH's devices. They don't have much of a clue or respect for standards. I'm getting off on a rant unfortunately.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Still don't tested ;))

I think the program detected an analog device on the gamepad, and force to use it for directional uses, but i wanted to skip the analog pad and use de digital pad.
I wanna map the four buttons of DPAD as up, down left and right, but i can't because the analog was detected.

I will try your solution (sorry if I didn't it before, but i'm with a lot of work), but I hope I could use de DPAD, is better for all 2D games of GP2X (Cave Story, specially).
And thanks again ;)

talking about joysticks, the open2X kernel doesn't detect the ps3 joysticks. I have a genius wireless usb joystick that has PC and PS3 mode, PC mode works fine but in PS3 it isn't detected. In my main pc with ubuntu it works in both modes.

btw, ps3 joysticks have a lot of axis, it has 6 basic axis, 3 for 3D movement of the joystick, and 1 for each buttom. that's about 17 axis.

Laharl: GP2X don't have all "drivers", like windows or Linux have, it has only a basic gamepads library, so it only support basics gamepads.
What are basic gamepads? maybe all of them who don't need aditionals drivers on any other SO. Basically some buttons with a cross DPAD, i don't know why is detecting my analogic joystick, maybe i'm lucky, so don't expect i will recognize a new PS3 gamepad.
If you can play in PC compatible mode, it's OK.

Back