Just Got The Cradle For My Fx-100 Mk2 - Joystick Problems

scientist

Still Fresh
after messing around for about 30 minutes, I got the cradle working, but I'm having a few problems. After searching the forums, I'm thinking it may have been a mistake to get the cradle, but meh. Anyways, here's a few issues I'm having, that I can't really find solutions for on the forum, or elsewhere.

just fyi, when I say "joystick" I mean a USB->Playstation 2 Adapter->Playstation 2 Controller.

- joystick works fine in regular default gp2x menu, and in test mode, all buttons work - including the analog sticks... sometimes. Other times the joystick is getting power, but doesn't seem to have any response at all.

- only picodrive will recognize joystick (when the joystick is working on the gp2x), and even then it only works in the picodrive menu. Once I load a rom, the joystick has absolutely no response - of course the controls on the gp2x work fine.

- mame4all crashes with joystick plugged in, haven't been able to get it to work yet.

- no other emulator seems to support joysticks. after searching the forums, that's one of the main things that made me start regretting not doing more research first. my fault, but just hoping there may be something in the works, or I dont know... :(

- joystick doesn't work at all in gmenu, I'm guessing that it just doesn't support it? I checked the official thread, and didn't see any specific mention of usb joystick support.

again, I realize that not many emulators support usb joysticks, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any updates to emulators that have support now.

I don't know about the other emulators (I seem to remember one of the snes emulators supporting it), but picodrive should work fine.

Have you tried using a different usb port?

i tried 2 controllers on 2 different ports. They both work fine inside the picodrive menu, but not in-game when a rom is loaded. Ill mess with it some more today.

scientist said:
i tried 2 controllers on 2 different ports. They both work fine inside the picodrive menu, but not in-game when a rom is loaded. Ill mess with it some more today.
Have you configured the controls? It's not enough just to see that they are found by the emu, the buttons have to be configured. Up, down, left, right and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I configured the controls in PicoDrive, and they work in the menu (up, down, left, right all navigate the menu, pressing one of the buttons exits the menu / selects a rom). Once that rom is selected though, the controls do not work in-game, but work again in the menu of PicoDrive.

I am thinking it has to do with gmenu running in the bg, but I'm probably wrong.

PicoDrive has the ability to save per-game-configs.
Maybe you ran the game and saved the game config BEFORE you did the joystick config?

Try loading a game, make your joy settings and return to the game instead.

Sphinxter said:
Never tried it, do you have to plug a power supply into the cradle?
For the f100 mk1 you do, for the f100 mk2 and f200 you don't, but you may get interference (high pitch tone) if you don't use it.

emphy said:
For the f100 mk1 you do, for the f100 mk2 and f200 you don't, but you may get interference (high pitch tone) if you don't use it.
ahhh.. so THAT's what that interference was! ha...

EvilDragon.. that makes a lot of sense.. I'll try that and post back. I was setting controls, then loading game. ill try loading first, then setting controls.

Thanks guys!

update:

Thanks ED, that was it exactly. I also found out I had to download a newer version of pocketSNES to get USB support, as well as a newer version of gpfce. I'm now running nes, snes, genesis and mame4all with usb support!

so far the only things missing support for me is GBA.

another thing to note, is that in order for my usb to work, I have to enable it twice. After the first time, the lights come on the controller and everything, but i have to go back into gmenu, then exit gmenu and go into settings and put my usb host to on again.

setting it to "always on" does not work. after setting it to "on" twice, no the controller works (but still not working to navigate gmenu).

thanks again guys! :gp2x :gp2x :gp2x

Back