Just Got The Wiz

Hamburglar

Still Fresh
Hello everyone. I registered here years ago, inquiring about a much older GP32 and how it ran SNES games. You were all really honest and explained that the GP32 was great for SNES because of the screen, but it didn't have enough juice to run SNES full speed. Appreciating greatly the honesty of everyone here, I decided to somewhat blindly buy the Wiz because of some of the videos I saw on Youtube.

I have to say the screen on the Wiz is freakin' amazing. I have the most particular eye when it comes to image quality and the Wiz beats the DS Lite and DSi hands down, and the PSP and PSPGo, forget about it. The only screen I was ever this satisfied with was the Gameboy Micro but that was obviously very small, plus no SNES (besides the ports it got which didn't cut it for me because of the crummy sound quality). Anyway, I notice absolutely no motion blur on the Wiz which I can easily detect on the PSP and can even detect on the DSi (on flat-graphic games like that Princess Peach game).

Anyway, I tried the latest SNES emulator and I have to say the screen is still perfect. I can't believe how razor sharp it looks (SNES emulation on the PSP to me is unbearable because of the motion blur and ugly scaling options) and this has now got me too excited. However, I was a bit dismayed by the horizontal tearing (which I've read a lot up on) and read it's software related. This was proven to me when I scrolled through the SNES game list and noticed horizontal tearing. It shows up even when not in game! So I know it's just this PocketSNES. I was wondering, especially with upcoming devices like the Pandora, if I can ever expect this to be fixed. I have also noticed sound glitches that are totally unique. For example, I was playing Final Fantasy 3 (SNES) and I was amazed the wind sounds were emulated fine, but when I went into a battle the music was off (sounded like a cat crying at some points). The music was just off. Can't really explain it.

So yes, I'm insane in that I bought a device just to play SNES games and I was wondering if I should hold my breath with updates fixing the above issues. I'm beyond appreciative of the programmers who got it to the point they have, but I'm way too picky to be able to play the games with the horizontal tearing and such. Was also wondering if I can ever hope for full 60fps in most games. I don't expect it to happen in Stunt Race FX, but would love to see it in a majority of the 2-d games (especially RPGs). My only other complaint is that the D-Pad often thinks I am pressing down when pressing right, but I can live with that (would like to know if this happens to others as well).

Sorry for this long-winded post. I am just so happy with the screen quality that I am just that much more excited at the prospect of finally finding the perfect SNES handheld I've been dying for for many, many years. Thanks a million for reading this much! :)

PS: I can't wait to get some use out of the touch screen, as well. I think the first thing I will try is one of my favorites, Terry Pratchett's Discworld for the PSX. Hopefully there's mouse as touchscreen support on that emulator!

Hi and welcome back to the forums :)

You might want to search for pollux fix screen tearing thread from this thread.

I think ScummVM 1.0 supports discworld. So again, try that.

Nice to hear that you liked the screen, it gets a nice wow from people when I show it.

I think someone more knowledgeable will correct me in the places I was wrong as I don't really use snes and haven't tried discworld on scumm yet. Been meaning to though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I don't think Discworld was a Lucasarts game (though it's very much like those old adventure games).

I will try that screen tearing fix thing and report back. Thanks man!

ScummVM has evolved to include a large array of games not specifically developed by LucasArts and yes, Discworld is one of those games. I haven't tried it on the Wiz either however, but you will have much more luck trying it in ScummVM then on the PSX emulator. The PSX emulator is impressive for sure but not really playable in my opinion and I don't think its getting much support.

Oh, and ScummVM already has touchscreen support.

Thanks man. Only problem is the PSX version of Discworld had much, much better music (same music, just better quality). It was MIDI on the PC; orchestrated on the PSX.

Are you sure? I haven't played the game in years but there is a floppy disk version and a CD version, I can't see why they would use midis on the CD version but I don't remember so I can't argue.

MiOdd said:
Are you sure? I haven't played the game in years but there is a floppy disk version and a CD version, I can't see why they would use midis on the CD version but I don't remember so I can't argue.

The PC version of FF7 used MIDI music :)

Wait a tic. FF7 shouldn't count... that game was 4-discs on PC there was obviously no room for CD audio so they were forced to used MIDIs, although I believe the PSX versions used MIDIs too its just that PSX had a better MIDI interpreter so thats why it sounded nicer... I think.

Maybe thats the same case with Discworld? idk, after your post on the topic I assumed you meant the music was better because it was CD audio, in which case it should be the same on PSX and PC-CD... but if it was never CD audio to begin with then I just don't know anymore.

Irregardless, if you want to play Discworld on the Wiz you really don't have a choice, haha. You need to use the PC version in ScummVM because the PSX emulator stinks, so there. I win. ;)

Ok thanks man. I'll give it a shot! Anyone who could give me any hopes for the SNES emulator, I'd appreciate it big time!

Edit: I tried editing pocketsnes_fast.gpe, using the Quake anti-tearing guide to guide me along to no avail. When I open pocketsnes_fast.gpe up in Notepad++ it's just lines and lines of insanity.

SONY said:
SNES will be fine.

10 outta 10. :)
Sorry if this is obvious but do you mean right now or in the future? There's still going to be updates?

Hamburglar said:
Was also wondering if I can ever hope for full 60fps in most games. I don't expect it to happen in Stunt Race FX, but would love to see it in a majority of the 2-d games (especially RPGs). My only other complaint is that the D-Pad often thinks I am pressing down when pressing right, but I can live with that (would like to know if this happens to others as well).

Can't help you with the screen-tearing (I don't understand how to use the pollux set either :s) but can get a solid 60fps in 2D games by using the pocketsnes_fast.gpe executable instead of pocketsnes. You can even enable transparencies and use 44khz stereo sound without dropiing frames if you overclock to >750mhz.

Oh yeah, if you don't mind opening up your Wiz there is a d-pad mod you can use. I've performed it myself and the d-pad is so much better now, especially for fighters.

Crazyteknohed said:
Hamburglar said:
Was also wondering if I can ever hope for full 60fps in most games. I don't expect it to happen in Stunt Race FX, but would love to see it in a majority of the 2-d games (especially RPGs). My only other complaint is that the D-Pad often thinks I am pressing down when pressing right, but I can live with that (would like to know if this happens to others as well).

Can't help you with the screen-tearing (I don't understand how to use the pollux set either :s) but can get a solid 60fps in 2D games by using the pocketsnes_fast.gpe executable instead of pocketsnes. You can even enable transparencies and use 44khz stereo sound without dropiing frames if you overclock to >750mhz.

Oh yeah, if you don't mind opening up your Wiz there is a d-pad mod you can use. I've performed it myself and the d-pad is so much better now, especially for fighters.

I overclocked to 750 mhz and Zelda drops a considerable amount of frames as soon as you go outside and it's raining (I know this is because of transparencies). I guess I was just wondering if PocketSnes was still being worked on because if I get that little extra speed I need, a slight improvement in sound, and horizontal tearing fixed up, I'll be the happiest person on the train every day. I'm just amazed it's 2010 and there's still no way to play SNES on the go flawlessly.

As for the d-pad mod, if there's a specific guide you followed, I'd love to see it!

Hamburglar said:
Crazyteknohed said:
Hamburglar said:

I overclocked to 750 mhz and Zelda drops a considerable amount of frames as soon as you go outside and it's raining (I know this is because of transparencies). I guess I was just wondering if PocketSnes was still being worked on because if I get that little extra speed I need, a slight improvement in sound, and horizontal tearing fixed up, I'll be the happiest person on the train every day. I'm just amazed it's 2010 and there's still no way to play SNES on the go flawlessly.

As for the d-pad mod, if there's a specific guide you followed, I'd love to see it!
Well if the Pandora comes out this year then we will have almost flawless SNES on the go. Also the PSP SNES emulator is pretty good. I can run most games at full speed without frameskip, example Super Metroid runs perfect with execellent sound.

I have a modded PSP but the awful refresh rate on the screen makes SNES unbearable for me. Start off Super Mario World and run right at the beginning. The red from the turtle shell trails almost a damn inch behind him.

The Pandora might be cool but as you said we're still talking *almost* perfect SNES emulation. Which is pretty crazy since my old p3 700mhz Gateway ran SNES at full speed flawlessly. That was in 1998. I am also doubtful the Pandora will have the incredible screen I am enjoying in the Wiz.

Hamburglar said:
I have a modded PSP but the awful refresh rate on the screen makes SNES unbearable for me. Start off Super Mario World and run right at the beginning. The red from the turtle shell trails almost a damn inch behind him.

The Pandora might be cool but as you said we're still talking *almost* perfect SNES emulation. Which is pretty crazy since my old p3 700mhz Gateway ran SNES at full speed flawlessly. That was in 1998. I am also doubtful the Pandora will have the incredible screen I am enjoying in the Wiz.
Yeah I have a PSP1000 and the ghosting is really bad. The only reason I said almost perfect is cause I have not used the Pandora obviously. From what I have seen in videos I would say its perfect, but its emulation there is bound to be some small issues here and there. I run ZSNES on my PC and it runs flawlessly too. I think the Pandora is going to have perfect emulation of NES, SEGA Genesis, and SNES. With possibly some others running at full speed with no frame skip also.

I am sure the Pandora will be great but is it going to have a screen as nice as the Wiz? LCD or LED is it? I just feel the Wiz is so much more portable...

Hamburglar said:

What is the best PSP model to use from emulation? Do they all have the same screen? I have no patience for screen blur, especially in such a new system. Is the screen a dual scan or something, I haven't seen ghosting on an lcd in ages.

Hamburglar said:

I assume he refers to this one.

Hope that's useful.
smile.gif

I assume he refers to this one.

Hope that's useful.
smile.gif

[/quote]

Thanks! But the guide is hosted on the now defunct Geocities :(

Christo930, believe it or not the slim PSP actually has a worse screen than the original (something to do with scanlines I remember). And I saw a PSPGo at Best Buy and couldn't believe how crummy the screens looked. Seemed very, very blurry in general (even without motion).

Back