Kernel Compilation Trouble

Coldbird

Hello there, I'm trying to script a tiny little Wireless Helper for myself...

In some parts of my house, my WLAN connection plain and simple sucks... and I've been thinking bout getting a Repeater for quite some time...

However, my router doesn't support WDS... which is a requirement for all < 50€ repeaters to function...

So I thought I would plain and simple turn my Pandora into a mobile WLAN repeater...

I wanted to achieve that by...

1. connecting internal wifi card to my wlan...

2. switching a usb connected wifi dongle into master mode and setup a ssid...

3. using iptables to "share" the internet connection to the newly created "AP".

The initial step to get this working however is enabling USB WIFI devices in kernel... the normal HF5 kernel doesn't include it any longer... leaving me without USB wifi compatiblity...

So... first thing I did was ready a development environment... because of simplicity - I decided to install the Pandora OS to a SD card and let Pandora handle its own compiling...

The reason I decided to do this was because I gotta switch a lot between Windows and Linux @ school... and its very nice to boot up SSH / Putty and then work on your code without a teacher noticing... no matter what OS you run... ;D

So yeah... I set things up... but on compiling the kernel I'm facing this error...

Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `cpsid i'

Previously I also had a smc #0 error, which I solved by editing arch/arm/Makefile...

arch-$(CONFIG_CPU_32v7) :=-D__LINUX_ARM_ARCH__=7 $(call cc-option,-march=armv7-a+sec, -Wa$(comma)-march=armv7-a+sec)

The +sec here did the job of fixing that...

However I'm stuck on the cpsid thing now... and no matter where I look... I don't find a solution for this...

Some people on the internet claim changing armv7a to armv7-a fixes it... however as you can see my Makefile already uses the -march=armv7-a flag.

Someone has a idea bout this?

Great Bump for Justice~

Does really noone have a clue why this happens? Or how to solve it?

I would need this thing compiled till tomorrow evening... :(

Sorry I can't be of help... have you tried asking at #openpandora on freenode?

The driver of my stick is the RT73 one... however I was told from several sources that the more open and mainstream rt2x00 driver will work aswell and provide better results.

Alright... here is my progress so far...

1. Your modules work nicely! However I had to grab rt73.bin (blob driver) from the driver sourcepack from www.planex.net - Check!

2. Can switch the card into adhoc mode - Check!

3. Can connect internal card via wpa_supplicant (NetworkManager has to dieee!) - Check!

4. Install iptables... uh... not sooooo check.

I can install iptables from the ängstrom repository, however it lacks nat modules and I have no idea where to get those from, I need them for postrouting to share the internet connection between the interfaces... :(

Someone has a idea where I could get the postrouting / nat modules for iptables from?

---- ALRIGHT ----

Seems that the kernel doesn't have the necessary iptable modules at all... and the package from angstrom (iptables) doesn't provide dynamically loadable modules either...

notaz - mind lending a hand?

I'm having the same problem as that fella here...

However I can't resort to SSH for my needs... I need true internet access.

---- BLEH ----

Alright, I see the compiling right on Pandora IS useful for coding games or apps...

But I give up trying to compile kernels on the kiddo...

Time to move to CodeSourcery~ Will keep you guys updated on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz - mind lending a hand?
http://notaz.gp2x.de/misc/pnd/ko/hf5/netfilter.zip

it's untested, yet again

Alright, I see the compiling right on Pandora IS useful for coding games or apps...

But I give up trying to compile kernels on the kiddo...

Time to move to CodeSourcery~ Will keep you guys updated on this.
If you use CS you'll need to replace both kernel and all modules, since firmware is compiled with OE vanilla gcc variant.

The only sure way to get compatible modules is to use OE.. Hopefully we can make this easier with next major firmware, where everything is contained in kernel git and does not depend on OE.

Missing symbol problems :(

Seems we have the wrong iptables version in there...

More likely base support missing in kernel for ipfiler/iptables modules to work. I've just changed the config, it'll be in next hotfix beta, if you don't want to reflash pick uImage from http://openpandora.org/firmware/ when it's timestamp is older than this post.
When its older than this post? Basically you just want me to grab the new uImage from there now?

Right now it's date is 08-Jun-2011, it means ED hasn't done a build yet so it doesn't have those changes. You'll need to wait for that or maybe I'll to it myself later when I'm back home.

uImage got updated, I've replaced it on my SD install, booted fine...

However still the same error...

FATAL: Error inserting ip_tables (/lib/modules/2.6.27.46-omap1/kernel/net/ipv4/ip_tables.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg) iptables v1.4.9.1: can't initialize iptables table 'filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)

In addition to that... this uImage breaks... EVERYTHING net or bluetooth related... :(

Back