Keyboard Shortcuts

MarioPandio

Since switching to SD installs (acknowledged by Prometheus to even affect NAND setups (my own now also randomly effected)), I am seemingly afflicted by a bane to my affections for Pandora.

It's as though no matter how hard I try to create the perfect installation to showcase her potential muse, this one bug is nothing if not persistent, in its insistence of its existence, thus my resistance, requiring assistance, to bemuse it.

Basically, keyboard shortcuts for all kinds of things are good...mkay!

They free up panel space, desktop space, wizard bar space, remove the need for much menu trolling or touchscreen use etc

However they for me at least and a quiet few, don't work with any consistency.

Not an advertised feature I admit, but since the idea of them and the functionality for them does exist within xfce, it would be good to make sure they work with consistency.

Now it appears any keyboard shortcuts you make are stored here:

home>applications>settings>xfce4>xfconf>xfce-perchannel-xml>xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

but what gets loaded by accident on some boot ups is from here :

/etc/xdg/op/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

which is default and BLANK of your additions. Hence they don't work.

That much I had figured out, prior to checking the bug tracker and finding this from Lomaxx http://bugs.openpand...ils&task_id=190

Who had tracked things down to copying over the file from the user created one (that sometimes get loaded on boot) over the one that more often does (that's BLANK re shortcuts):

In my case, I cant achieve this copy over via terminal etc (probably due to file permissions, a need to own ones own home directory, mortgage stuff), SO.....

Is it possible as a potential fix to this issue, to create a simple that script that can be run after boot-time, that will copy the user created shortcuts over the booted version and take immediate effect, thus rendering a further potentially also failed reboot unrequired? Or an autobooted version to alleviate any user interaction if it fails normally?

Another user friendly option, would be a script made into an executable .desktop file with an icon (like Someguy99's 'Run Minimenu from a desktop Icon' tweak) that can be launched if it proves the reboot has failed to load the shortcut enabled file?

Guidance would be appreciated.

Im sure a script could be written easily not sure how to make it run before it loads it at startup though.

Whatabout a symlink so both places point at one file surely thats cleaner then only 1 file to worry about

Edit:Could be completely wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
i havent checked yet, but chance are its a config files issue that cause it to not be loaded in the right order (or incorrectly), ill have a look around tonight, since i too have that issue, but was never bothered by it really.

In my case, I cant achieve this copy over via terminal etc (probably due to file permissions, a need to own ones own home directory, mortgage stuff), SO.....

Code:
sudo cp /home/MarioPandio/Applications/Settings/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml /etc/xdg/op/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

(just guessing what you're home directory name is ;) )

Thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't meaning to be an asshole with the post either but this issue does bug me and it appears to have been on the bugtracker for quite awhile. I do appreciate that there's a ton of more important things, everyone even OPT themselves and downwards is working basically as a hobby in spare time for this product etc

Edit : removed weird stuff I wrote :eek:

Code:
sudo cp /home/MarioPandio/Applications/Settings/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml /etc/xdg/op/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

(just guessing what you're home directory name is ;) )

Sorry WizardStan, you'd posted that as I replied and I missed it. However it doesn't work for some reason which is what I'd mentioned.

I get:

cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/xdg/op/xfce4/xfc-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml': No such file or directory

even though I can see it and open it in both locations.

I also tried :

sudo cp /home/NotMarioPandio/Applications/Settings/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml /media/PANDORAROOT/etc/xdg/op/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

to see if booting from SD was the issue with it locating the /etc/ path but also nothing. Kinda weird.

Sorry to bump this but I wondered if anyone knew why this command to make a simple file swap

Code:
sudo cp  /home/MarioPandio/Applications/Settings/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml   /etc/xdg/op/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

would refuse to run and give me the error I was getting (permissions issue?) or If meandu229, or Jey123456 had got anywhere with this?

I tried making a backup of the xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml file after freshly re-applying shortcuts and storing it elsewhere prior to rebooting, then using

Code:
sudo mousepad   /etc/xdg/op/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

In the hope of pasting the backup copy over the incorrectly loaded one there. However this idea is thwarted as any backups you make, empty themselves on the reboot of all the shortcut data and just leave a portion of the useless part of the .xml file behind. :(

Anyone know why that would be?

Thanks.

I've been looking more at this and there's a ton of reports of this issue on the xfce.org bugtracker for example https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4226 (plus bugs 7032, 2731, 5537, 4908, 3948) where some people are affected by it and others not. Could be a real sod to figure out it seems :(
it seems upstream so way outta my depth to cure it but might be able to treat the symptoms

you could try

mv /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

/etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.disabled

mv ~/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

~/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.disabled

Reference:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Keyboard_shortcuts_aren.27t_working

Many thanks for your help. I'll give the tricks a try when it next strikes.

What version of xfce is Pandora currently running btw? Never mind (4.6.1 I see)

This just struck again (after 5 reboots on a fresh install) and the fix only partly allows itself to be applied.

The first part works. I had to add sudo :

sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

enter password and it appeared to work.

The second part (with or without sudo)

sudo mv ~/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

gives:

mv: cannot stat `/home/mariopandio/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

~/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.disabled: No such file or directory

or without sudo

mv: accessing `/home/mariopandio/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

~/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.disabled: Permission denied

:(

Any ideas? Did this work for you meandu229?

This just struck again (after 5 reboots on a fresh install) and the fix only partly allows itself to be applied.

The first part works. I had to add sudo :

sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

enter password and it appeared to work.

The second part (with or without sudo)

sudo mv ~/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

gives:

mv: cannot stat `/home/mariopandio/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

~/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.disabled: No such file or directory

or without sudo

mv: accessing `/home/mariopandio/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop

~/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop.disabled: Permission denied

:(

Any ideas? Did this work for you meandu229?
the file must not exist for our xfce, with the 1st one working see if it happens again, I set up my keyboard shortcuts yesterday and am waiting for it to happen to me,

Doh! Good point. I had thought it was a 2 part solution.

The home dir /.config file doesnt appear to exist its true and on the reboot it is working again. Have to reboot alot, to see if it occurs again.

Thanks again.

Back