Kickstarter for commercial game licenses?

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I stumbled across the following project on Kickstarter today:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone

Basically, the company behind the Pinball Arcade game wants to include the Twilight Zone pinball - but the licenses are damn high.

So they're trying to get enough money for the licensing through Kickstarter... and that made me wonder:

Should we try the same with the Pandora and some commercial (or Indie) game titles?

Based on community wishes I could contact the company for a game, negotiate license costs and try to use Kickstarter to get it, so we can port it.

What do you think?

Worth a try?

Of course, only games that would run on the Pandora without major problems should be licensed ;)

I really want a good Pinball game for the Pandora. :D

But instead of wasting money for gaming licenses, we really should start to find a way to make all the (free) Android market games run on the Pandora. So maybe some full optimized Android brings more than spending money on game licenses again and again. ;) iOS also would be funny, but i guess it is dongled to Apple products.

I think that any game existing or in development that could be brought to the Pandora has great potential to benefit both parties ( Open Pandora community and the developers). Any time we piggyback, should hopefully get us increased exposure to the gaming community especially through something like Kickstarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, we will gain publicity, we might get neat commercial game ports and if we don't have enough pledges for a game, nothing will happen at all.

So we might need to find games now ;)

I'd love to see Galaxy on fire with multiplayer support, or something like Braid or Limbo, anything commercial would create great exposure for the project too which can't be a bad thing.

Oh my gosh there are so many games I´d like to have.... Wing Commander 1 for example..

It think it should be a game that uses most Pandora controls. If it's a touchscreen-game people will just go "what do I need a Pandora for".

I would back any pandora related kickstarter campaign.. just to get the word out... It would be nice to have more commercial titles on the pandora... just because I like to give away money :D ;)

To extend on the controls comment, maybe it could even be some online enabled game which allows chatting with other players, because that would bring the keyboard into play.

How about an action RPG in the vein of Phantasy Star Online - let's ask SEGA :eek:

Nah, of course it shouldn't be such an old game. Hm, maybe Torchlight 2, I liked the first one. But then again you'd play it via touchscreen most likely. No quick gameplay with the nubs, can't see that working.

Then most of 3D games will require too much beef to run anyway, so I guess we'll be confined to two dimensions on this one.

Uhmm i like to have Angry Birds and Dead Space (by EA) on my Pandora.

Angry birds seem very playable from what i see on a recent video on Pandora ( i like to try it.....), and Dead Space i think will run decently on Android, having played it on my Galaxy S .

Uhmm i like to have Angry Birds and Dead Space (by EA) on my Pandora.

Angry birds seem very playable from what i see on a recent video on Pandora ( i like to try it.....), and Dead Space i think will run decently on Android, having played it on my Galaxy S .
Angry Birds is everywhere - it will neither make the pandora stand out, nor does it take advantage of the controls. And there would be changes necessary to make zooming in and out possible or accomodate the controls of other games - we do not have multitouch and that's everything android has.

People seem to be fond of Android when it comes to games - which games are there that I would want to play on the Pandora that haven't been done better already and are easy to emulate or even ported? I have seen a few very mediocre FPS and some awful "racing" games EDIT: an a Zelda clone that controlled like sh..

Looking at downloads of PolloPollo / Arora Rift.. i dont see any other way to get commercial titles to OP..

BTW. What about contacting people that creates Ashura Cross [WIZ/GP2X] and some old commercial titles for GP32, wouldnt be fun to have that on OpenPandora?

heres the list: http://en.wikipedia....cial_GP32_games

there are a bunch highly rated games for gp32 that could be wort port [and maybe release as commercial soft]:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110517061650/http://www.insertcredit.com/features/gp32guide/index.html

Well about pollopollo and arora rift... those games don't appeal to me I wouldnt have got them if they were free.

But maybe somebody here can change my mind :D

Well about pollopollo and arora rift... those games don't appeal to me I wouldnt have got them if they were free.

But maybe somebody here can change my mind :D

It is still better that spend 3$ [equality of game license] in McDonalds, so i think, these games are cheap enough to buy it and do not regret decision even if games are not perfect in any way..

Looking at downloads of PolloPollo / Arora Rift.. i dont see any other way to get commercial titles to OP..

Arora Rift 32X is... well, not that great. There are noticeable bugs, collision detection is terrible, it's a mix of 2D and 3D graphics that isn't pretty, and the music is just... OK. More importantly, the gameplay gets dull really fast.

PolloPollo is pretty good, but there's a ton of broken English in the docs, and more importantly (why I think it's failed so much here), it's got an annoying DRM system. No one likes DRM. The controls are also a bit restricted (you can only rotate pieces one way).

Back