Kismet or other Net Stumbler replacement?

Grench

Forum Addict!
Do we have Kismet or another Net Stumbler type replacement for the Pandora?

If not, can someone make a PND for Kismet?

http://www.kismetwireless.net/index.shtml

I'm looking for something that will find access points and help me tune and aim long range wifi antennas (parabolic dish reflectors with BiQuad elements).  I'd rather use my Pandora for this than to lug around a laptop.  It needs to have some form of signal strength charting.

Any programs that would work for this already in PND form?

Thanks!

In the short term, you may be able to use Wifi Analyzer (or similar) under Android.

I've sourced/found four satelite dishes, USB wifi dongles with removable antennas, 6M 50ohm cables with the right ends and am in the process of getting a few more routers and either buying or building four 2.4Ghz patch antennas.

I'd really like to be able to tune this setup with a Pandora.  Can someone check whether or not it would be difficult to make a Kismet PND?  I'd rather use the Pandora, but could use a laptop if I have to.

This project will unfold over months - so I don't have to have it immediately, but it would be nice to know whether getting Kismet on my Pandoras is going to be easy, difficult or not happening.

'Go use Android' can't be the only solution to this.

Has anyone had a chance to look at Kismet to see what the level of effort would be to make a pnd of it?

Does anyone have a network finder/strength meter ported to the Pandora yet?  This would be very handy for a project I'm working on.

Thank you.

Those things need certain functions present in the driver, as pandora's driver has long been abandoned by it's developers, it most likely lacks that stuff.

Those things need certain functions present in the driver, as pandora's driver has long been abandoned by it's developers, it most likely lacks that stuff.
So within the network driver then?  What about with one or more of the USB network adapters instead of the Pandora internal WiFi?  Going through USB is what I had in mind anyway.

This is all about a volunteer project that I'm going to wind up sinking $1000 and a pile of time into.

What I need to do:  Point to point 802.11g using satellite dishes with homemade quad dipole antennas for elements.  I want to use my Pandora with a USB wifi with removable antenna, with a short coax cable extension to the dish/quad-dipole antenna to tune/aim the dishes.  Once they're set, I'll be putting a dual-radio repeater on the remote ends.  This or similar:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O7MY1E

The end idea is to 'harvest' the WiFi signal from the staff lounge at a Boy Scout camp with line of sight to two cabins with electricity ~1 to 1.5 miles away (different angles, 2 satellite setups) to share out to about 20 devices per cabin.  Yes, it will be slow - that is OK.

The setup is all temporary, needs to be wired up in an evening and taken down 2-3 days later.

Yeah, it's ambitious and may not work, or I may have to put another set of dishes on the host router to get the signal to throw.

Entertaining though.

Have you tried slackware for pandora? I think it has kismet on board... not sure. it does have wireshark preinstalled and I think there was some sort of wifi analyzer as well. will check.

EDIT: Ok I checked and it's not preinstalled but available as a build script on sbopkg. I am building it right now.

Got it running. easy as cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've managed to get monitor mode and Kismet working with the internal wifi, the driver update is now on the server (you can get it with "Upgrade Pandora OS"), and Kismet can be packaged into a pnd if anyone needs it.

awesome! I compiled kismet like a week ago on super zaxxon and then found the system did not support monitor mode. I tried it with a supposedly supported wifi stick, found the correct drivers and it told me my system was incompatible. should work now! thanks again notaz!

EDIT: double post

Back