Korean Homebrew Games?

Julius

Website
freegamearts.tuxfamily.org
Does anyone else think it is odd, that a Handheld that is mostly sold in Korea, seems to almost no homebrew Korean (or made by Koreans) games (but lots of homebrew games made by people from countrys where the GP32 isn't even sold)?

That Bingo game is the first I took notice of, or am I just missing the huge number of Korean games (except for the commercial ones).

To take this even further, there seem to be almost no Koreans on these boards, and I haven't heard of a Korean GP32 message board either (not that I could speak or read the Korean language ;) )....

And actually now that I think about it, the same (but for Japanese people) is true for the Dreamcast homebrew scene, or am I just stupid?

It seems odd, that there are so many Video game enthusiasts in both Korea and Japan, but you never hear of homebrew stuff from these countrys (same is true for PC-MODs btw).

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I've been thinking about this too.

Eiter korean GP32 scene is so strong that korean users do not search for/in need of another scene, or korean homebrew scene is so weak and also gp32 is not popular in korea too. I don't know.

I'm sure many of the korean users are below 14, so maybe they don't need anything homebrew.

I heard korean has some irc gp32 channels. But I don't know where, or do they really exist. But our cool web sites like 'gp32spain,gp32news, gp32x and gp32emu' has contacts with some korean users. it looks like there is not much korean gp32 scene as there is not much info on english websites.

just thoughts.

There probably isnt much of a korean interest in spending the time when all the professional games for it are in their native language. The DC homebrew scene is probably due to how quickly the system died here and the fact that it survies even today in Japan where they still get one or two games a season supposedly.

the same way it would be funny if you weere walking along, and found out you had no legs

There is huge korean community at GPZigi or GPDream sities. Also if you dig in games section, you will notice some real nice productions from hombrew scene. In my opinion, the reason, there is not so many korean user around, is that (it can sounds funny) they have problem with english language. Actually there is still not so many people speaking english (it is what i was told by a guy from korea) and this is mainly problem of non english verrsion of games and small or even zero amount of people from Korea. Probably in Gamepark company maybe a few people (1-3) speak english and this is the reason of no answered emails ;)

craigix posted on Feb 17 2004 at 09:15 PM said:
There are more GP32's in the UK than in Korea.

:)

-Craig

www.gbax.com
If that is true that just the UK (not including the rest of Europe) has more GP32s than Korea, it makes no sense that the majority of the commercial games are in Korean only. Since the rest of the world has the much bigger market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hio,

I'm live in Korea.

Gp32 is not famous game machine in Korea.

Most Korean young boys enjoy that PC based internet on-line games

on there spear time.

Cause In my guess, Korea home internet has been ready for 80% of every home

with full mega speed ADSL,

Korea ADSL is cheep for use ( It's for about 30$(us) for a month ).

but.. Japan was not so cheep( maybe higher then 100$(us) for a month ).

This is resone of Japanese more like Console game(PS2) rather then PC on-line.

- nanjungho

The GP32 hasnt been officially released anywhere but Korea, it wasnt meant for overseas markets yet... This strikes me as odd though, if Gamepark only made enough to match the demand of korea and then had to make more for the UK and US overseas markets how can they not be rolling in dough now?

It's like making a dozen pies for the school bake sale and half the neigborhood shows up so you need to make more.

^^^ Thats what I thought, GP32 doesnt sell in Korea because of all the PC support there... Damn it seems that out of every pro player on any online game there's always a Korean guy who's better.
GP32 needs to broaden their horizons and sell to Europe and the US, and maybe even Japan. Everyone I know finds the GP32 interesting, many people have thought that they were going to buy it the second they saw the Wind-Ups desktop... Gamepark really has something going with the GP32, but they seem to be waiting for something

Hmmm, I am not sure if the PC argument is a good one, actually I think the opposite is true.
Since a GP32 is a handheld console it doesn't really compete with PC-Gaming, but a good PC is needed to make homebrew games.

I actually think the lack of PC gaming in Japan might be the reason that there arn't very many Japanese people doing homebrew stuff, but in Korea the opposite should be true :unsure:

Well at least it should be true for homebrew PC games made by Koreans, but I didn't hear of any either.

It is interesting though that the GP32 sold better in Europe than in Korea, but actually with that in mind it makes perfectly sense that Gamepark is planning a European release and not a Japanese or a American (I wondered about that already ;) )

It seems like that homebrew/open-source movment is mostly a European thing (a Sociologist would find this very interesting I think).
There is some of that also in the USA, but the main driving force behind Linux, other open-source programms, and also PC-game mods and homebrew games seems to be in Europe. I am really not sure why that is so, but it looks like that from my point of view.

hando posted on Feb 17 2004 at 03:21 PM said:
There is huge korean community at GPZigi or GPDream sities. Also if you dig in games section, you will notice some real nice productions from hombrew scene. In my opinion, the reason, there is not so many korean user around, is that (it can sounds funny) they have problem with english language. Actually there is still not so many people speaking english (it is what i was told by a guy from korea) and this is mainly problem of non english verrsion of games and small or even zero amount of people from Korea. Probably in Gamepark company maybe a few people (1-3) speak english and this is the reason of no answered emails ;)
You'd be surprised hando, South Korea is pretty anal when it comes to English. Sure, there's still the occurences of Engrish, but there is a country-wide action to make sure all public signs/ads/text are in proper English. English is actually very popular in South Korea, many children are being brought up strictly learning English and Korean, an attempt at making the country incredibly bi-lingual. I'm not sure if it's due to the U.S.'s military involvement or just the popularization of English in Asia in general. You may find many of Korea's younger population is good with both the Korean and the English language. So I say it's a more a lack of interest by the South Korean population.

NssOne posted on Feb 18 2004 at 03:04 AM said:
hando posted on Feb 17 2004 at 03:21 PM said:
You'd be surprised hando, South Korea is pretty anal when it comes to English. Sure, there's still the occurences of Engrish, but there is a country-wide action to make sure all public signs/ads/text are in proper English. English is actually very popular in South Korea, many children are being brought up strictly learning English and Korean, an attempt at making the country incredibly bi-lingual. I'm not sure if it's due to the U.S.'s military involvement or just the popularization of English in Asia in general. You may find many of Korea's younger population is good with both the Korean and the English language. So I say it's a more a lack of interest by the South Korean population.
its the same i sri lanka. also you can step outside without seeing a bilboard advertising something about computers, which i thought was very strange.

Back