L2/r2 Solder Pad Question

Consequence_9

have you realized that rock stars always seem to l
Would it be possible to use the L2/R2 solder pads to add some sort of accelerometer device to trigger a button press? That would be really useful with mp3's (sorta like the new ipod). Its better than using L/R 'cause those always get triggered accidentally when in yer pocket.

haha you want to install an accelerometer to combat accidental presses? I always have the accelerometer turned off in pockettouch on my ipod touch because the slightest bump when im walking changes the song

Damn, i guess i was under the impression it took a lot more to trigger it =/ can't the sensitivity be adjusted? (i've never actually used one)

Consequence9 said:
Damn, i guess i was under the impression it took a lot more to trigger it =/ can't the sensitivity be adjusted? (i've never actually used one)
I'd be surprised if you couldn't somehow lock the shoulder buttons to prevent accidental song changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
jakewastaken said:
Consequence9 said:
I'd be surprised if you couldn't somehow lock the shoulder buttons to prevent accidental song changes.

yah, but my point for wanting to install an accelerometer-based song changing system was so that you could lock the buttons but still be able to change the song without having to open up the pandora. As long as the accelerometer wasn't as sensitive as the ipod one apparently is, I would find it very useful.

Most accelerometers can be configured to fire an interrupt when a programmed threshold is met. You'd have to hook it up to spi or i2c bus for configuration, then patch the interrupt output around to the l/r pads.

theoddbot said:
Most accelerometers can be configured to fire an interrupt when a programmed threshold is met. You'd have to hook it up to spi or i2c bus for configuration, then patch the interrupt output around to the l/r pads.
hmm... so it definitely could be done, i guess its just a matter of finding space inside the pandora to house it & programming it (which I don't really have the know-how for). Hopefully someone who thinks this would be semi-useful will pursue it further.

You could probably program the (L=previous, R=next, L+R=lock keypad function) That way if you want to carry it in your pocket just activate the lock keypad function and when you want to switch songs just press both buttons again to unlock and go about changing songs again. I hope that came out right.

Consequence9 said:
i guess its just a matter of finding space inside the pandora to house it
Good luck. I think you'll need it as there isn't much space in there apparently. Have you identified a suitable accelerometer?

ish420 said:
You could probably program the (L=previous, R=next, L+R=lock keypad function) That way if you want to carry it in your pocket just activate the lock keypad function and when you want to switch songs just press both buttons again to unlock and go about changing songs again. I hope that came out right.
Thats actually a really good idea, i didn't even think of that =D

TaG said:
Consequence9 said:
Good luck. I think you'll need it as there isn't much space in there apparently. Have you identified a suitable accelerometer?
well something like this should work. Its really tiny, so size isn't an issue, and the sensitivity is adjustable.

Consequence9 said:
TaG said:
Consequence9 said:
Good luck. I think you'll need it as there isn't much space in there apparently. Have you identified a suitable accelerometer?well something like this should work. Its really tiny, so size isn't an issue, and the sensitivity is adjustable.That's an interesting find - the ones I had seen were a fair bit larger.

I wonder if it is possible to make a very small external unit that plugs into the extension connector? I'm thinking like those usb bluetooth adaptors that barely stick out at all.

An external device might be very appealing to those that don't want to mod the hardware. A lot of people could be interested.

The MP3 feature in DSOrganize had a system where L+R changed songs, and R+L went backwards.

Even though the same combination is pressed, it recognizes the order in which you pressed them. It was pretty neat because the odds of bumping both buttons at once is slim, but if you wanted to skip ahead a few songs, all you had to do was hold down L and tap R a few times.

Well, I managed to find some linux drivers for usb accelerometers here, but I was unable to find any actual usb accelerometers to purchase. If anybody could find or manufacture a cheap, small form factor usb accelerometer, i'm sure a lot of people would want one.

Consequence9 said:
Well, I managed to find some linux drivers for usb accelerometers here, but I was unable to find any actual usb accelerometers to purchase. If anybody could find or manufacture a cheap, small form factor usb accelerometer, i'm sure a lot of people would want one.

on the site that you link to there is a video that shows it in use with a nokia n810 using a u shaped usb plug so it wraps around the back. due to the location of the usb host on the pandora something like that with a plastic case that goes wider and tapers off would be great for the pandora as it would add an accelerometer in the center of the pandora and not catch or break when put in a pocket.

jchord said:
Consequence9 said:

on the site that you link to there is a video that shows it in use with a nokia n810 using a u shaped usb plug so it wraps around the back. due to the location of the usb host on the pandora something like that with a plastic case that goes wider and tapers off would be great for the pandora as it would add an accelerometer in the center of the pandora and not catch or break when put in a pocket.

Yah, that would probably be the best way to go in terms of form-factor, that or something that runs along the back & plugs into the mini-usb port. After reading about the project I linked to a bit more I really think its worth being pursued. All of the resources are already there, he even has schematics for a cheap accelerometer & the software to make it work. All that would need to happen is for someone to design a housing that would work well with the pandora & put them into produciton. I really hope someone with the means looks into this a little deeper, be it a third party or the pandora team themselves, it would be worthwhile either way.

Back