Language Advice

HeXy

Still Fresh
Hello all,

I'm interested in learning game development for the '2x, so I'm just wondering if any of you have any suggestions on which way I should go.

I've developed games for windows (if you can call it developing!) using Multimedia Fusion (1.5) for quite a number of years & I'm fluent in php/mysql (day job as a web developer).

There are 2 games of mine that I'd love to port over, they are called NinjaPirate 2 & NinjaPirate 3 (a platformer and an adventure/rpg respectively, screenshots here.) They are both downloadable if you fancy a play! ;)

Ideally I need to know what is the best language given my current skillset to have a crack at, and which one could pull these 2 types of games off well enough.

Cheers for any and all advice :D

HeXy

Hi HeXy

it's always good to see another web developer about.
I have a very similar skill set to you but I trend to do a lot more asp that php nowadays (it just what the people prefer in work).

Anyway I am new to the GP2X dev too but I have found C/C++ and the SDL has been a good fit for me. In some respects you’ll find the syntax very similar to php So you’ll pick up things like classes and function call in no time. I have run into some trouble with the declaration of variables but nothing to serious.

There are other languages you can use like fenix and a JAVA runtime. I have not tried them yet so I am not sure what they are like. I plan to try fenix and java in due course I think its probable the best way to find out which you prefer.

As for which language would be best for your games unfortunately I can help there.

Good luck with the deving Hexy

Mac

My advice is go for Fenix (though I'm biased as that's what I use :p ). It's relatively easy to use though there is some dificulty finding English documentation. The best English resource is at http://fenixonfire.gp32x.de/ and if you get stuck there is a board here where you can ask for help. I used to use MMF and Fenix is obviously very different to that but to be honest since I've got used to Fenix I wouldn't go back to it.

Thank you gents!

I've decided to give fenix a crack first, but I've hit a brick wall in getting a development environment set up.. I've been reading through the FenixOnFire turorial (chapter 0 so far heh), and came to the download link of

------------------------------------------------
First, you need to get Fenix.
http://www.meniego.net/files/fenix_all.zip is the link to the GP32-compatible windows
version.

-----------------------------------------------

But it is a dead link (and its GP32 not 2x, does that matter?).

Any idea where I can get the version I need, along with the Fenix runtime & Fenix executable for the 2x?

mac-10, should I decide to have a play with C/C++ devving on 2x, could you recommend a suitable dev environment or links to what I would need to get going? :)

Thank you both again :)

HeXy

Here for the Fenix dev kit in the archive which includes Flamebird and here for the latest runtime.

ruckage said:
Here for the Fenix dev kit in the archive which includes Flamebird and here for the latest runtime.

Thanks very much ruckage :)

HeXy

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers all, my development environment for Fenix is fully working, and from what I've learn't so far, its a cool language :) I'm really enjoying the experience (I know I'll soon regret saying that when some killer problem comes around!).

Thanks for all your input and advice, with any luck I'll have something to play in a few weeks ;)

HeXy

ruckage said:
My advice is go for Fenix (though I'm biased as that's what I use :p ). It's relatively easy to use though there is some dificulty finding English documentation. The best English resource is at http://fenixonfire.gp32x.de/ and if you get stuck there is a board here where you can ask for help. I used to use MMF and Fenix is obviously very different to that but to be honest since I've got used to Fenix I wouldn't go back to it.

The english Fenix docs are now mirrored here[/urk]. Very useful.

You should also check [URL="http://www.booleansoup.com"]www.booleansoup.com
, as its the biggest Fenix (english) community so far. You will get lots of help there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back