Large Nub Dead Zone

chris_c

I have reset and recalibrated my nubs but every time I try them out there seems to be a large dead zone

I wrote an app to display the values and the dead zone seems to be roughly -180 to 180 making it almost digital in behavior - in mouse mode it is very difficult to move a small distance

physically I get no reading till the hat meets the outer ring - reaching its stops at half the width of the ring - a measurement travel of only 0.5mm away from each end stop

I double checked the right nub and the dead zone seems much better -16 to 16 starting to read almost straight away.

does this mean my left nub is faulty ?

right nub is much better for mouse but moving left starts faster going left where as going right I can start very slowly to fast

I think I have the same problem, in my case the nub is less sensitive when I press down or left (left nub), as you say it´s specially annoying when you use it as a mouse, becoue it goes from 0 to almost top speed. I´ts even worse on games, I have played f-zero X and it works perfect moving it to the right but to the left side it only detects two levels.

I´m sure that it´s a faulty nub, it has nothing to do with the calibriation, when I turn on the console the nub doesn´t recognizes directions or pressure levels, but after a few seconds moving it, they work quite well. The dead zone is still there anyway.

I think that the only solution is ask your seller for a repair.

Put the nubs into joystick mode (in XFCE, menu->settings->nubs, configure nub->change mode->use as joystick) and then run op_test_inputs from a terminal. You should be able to twiddle the nubs there and see how they react on screen. You should see values from -32 to 32 and it should be a smooth transition. It is on mine, anyway.
Don't forget to put nubs back into mouse mode when you're done, if that's how you prefer them.

thats exactly what I was doing except using my own app...

it's much harder to see whats going on with op_test_inputs as it divides the values by 8

I'm jumping straight to values of 20 or so with my left nub... and going left with the right nub, other directions on the right nub do progress smoothly from 0.

It occurs to me that it would be fairly simple to record the maximum -tive and minimum +tive values recorded by the nubs and report them when the op_test_inputs has finished as this could otherwise be hard to spot.

When using op_test_input, I can hit every single point from 0 to 32 fairly accurately. I'm pretty sure that's normal. If you can't, I think that's not normal.
How long have you had your Pandora? Is it one of the early ones for which the nubs had weaker rubber? If so it's quite likely that they're starting to wear out.

Back