Launch ELF with Desktop Shortcut

rError

Quick rundown:

Trying to get Wolfenstein 3D to run using wolf4sdl but without Picklelauncher. I extracted the contents of the PND and put them in the /wolf4sdl/base/ appfolder along with all necessary game data.

/media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/wolf4sdl/base/
The extracted "wolf3d" ELF file, when opened manually (right click wolf3d>execute) launches Wolfenstein 3D directly with no Picklelauncher. Perfect, exactly what I wanted.

Ok so I made a desktop launcher pointing to the ELF. Launcher command:

/media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/wolf4sdl/base/./wolf3d
Nothing seamed to happened when I executed the desktop shortcut. Edited the shortcut and checked off "Run in terminal".

Executed the desktop shortcut and now terminal flashes for a second, but it errors out stating "NO WOLFENSTEIN 3-D DATA FILES to be found!". So I'm assuming the ELF is launching correctly, but launching under the desktop directory so it cannot find the necessary files.

Knowing very little about linux scrips I attempted to use the "cd" command and force the launcher to go inside the "base" folder before executing the ELF.

cd "/media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/wolf4sdl/base/" ./wolf3d
Now terminal just hangs and appears to do nothing. I've tried a few other combinations, but I'm lost lol.

What command should I be using to set the working folder as "base" and then execute the ELF?

Add "path=/media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/wolf4sdl/base/" to the .desktop file, you don't need to change the directory.

edit: note that that may not be the absolute correct directory. Maybe it doesn't want the "/base" part, or maybe something else, but that "path=" is at least the thing you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
That didn't work but I figured out a very simple solution.

Created file containing:

cd /media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/wolf4sdl/base/
./wolf3d
Saved it as wolf3d.sh

Made desktop shortcut pointing to wolf3d.sh

Works perfectly. Can't believe I didn't think of it before...

facepalm.png
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back