Leapfrog Didj Homebrew

elan

Still Fresh
Well I found next ARM powered and very cheap console for little kids.

http://www.leapfrog.com/gaming/didj/

PICTURES:

Console -
LeapFrog_Didj.jpg

didj.Par.28716.Image.350.jpg

Color variations skins - /like GAMEBOY MICRO/
custom04.jpg

didj.Par.32227.Image.350.jpg

CASE:
leapf...8.Image.350.jpg

PC Client -

custom01.jpg

SPECS:

* Processor: 393 MHz Arm 9!!!
* Display: 320x240 resolution
* One 24-bit 2D layer (no hardware acceleration)
* One 16-bit 3D layer
* One YUV video layer (no hardware acceleration)
* Graphics: API OpenGL ES 1.1--A reduced instruction set version of OpenGL for embedded systems
* Main RAM: 32 MB DDRI 131 MHz
* 256MB NAND Flash: for data storage/download content
* Media Cartridge: 64MB
* Brio Firmware -> -> What is it???
* Screen LCD: 3.2 inches, 16.7-Million Color TFT
* USB as PC-PORT

PRICE: 80-90USD

Maybe it will be nice to have new homebrew platform (It is manufactured since August 2008)!!!

I don't see why you'd want to spoil that nice hardware by throwing Linux on top of it.

Orkie said:
I don't see why you'd want to spoil that nice hardware by throwing Linux on top of it.
Well or without Linux... with BRIO-FIRMWARE...

BTW What is BRIO???Platform like PalmOS,SYMBIAN or something... give me some useful links...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why it need be any different for an applications developer. Give them a toolchain and a decent library and they need no more.

Orkie said:
I don't see why it need be any different for an applications developer. Give them a toolchain and a decent library and they need no more.
But I am not coder just pixelartist and chipmusician... and GP2X owner... :eek:

YOUTUBE>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dYj2iZtcs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8D3KP7k8MQ

No OS for you!
that whole 256mb thing seems like a problem though, i mean a decent 2gb microSD only costs 10$.

* Processor: 393 MHz Arm 9
* One 16-bit 3D layer
* Graphics: API OpenGL ES 1.1--A reduced instruction set version of OpenGL for embedded systems
* NAND Flash: 256MB for data storage/download content
* System Software: Brio--Firmware is built on an abstraction layer called Brio to make OS and hardware transparent to developers. This means all software must be ported to Brio to run on this device.

It has cartrige port so maybe future homebrew sd-card cartrige :eek:

elan said:
* Processor: 393 MHz Arm 9
* One 16-bit 3D layer
* NAND Flash: 256MB for data storage/download content
* System Software: Brio--Firmware is built on an abstraction layer called Brio to make OS and hardware transparent to developers. This means all software must be ported to Brio to run on this device.

It has cartrige port so maybe future homebrew sd-card cartrige :eek:
yeah, but in their infacy stages those things are way expensive and large, remember the first batches of ds slot 2's? but maybe its large enough for a simple adapter, i hope.

This may seem like a dumb question, (I kind of think it is a dumb question, but I just want to be sure). Is there any system that can't run homebrew?

I don't mean is there any system that has yet to be hacked - I mean is there one (many?) that *can't* be hacked. Or, maybe to word this another way - what does a system need in order to be hackable? And what can a hardware maker do to stop its system from being hacked?

I'm going to go ahead an give what I think the answer is (so if I'm wrong, you can laugh at me). I think anything that can run software can be hacked. I mean, console makers have been trying to stop hacker for years - to no avail. The most complicated systems - 360s, PS3 - have been hacked, and even the most simple (Mattel's Juice Box was hacked, for crying out loud!).

It's just this Leapfrog thing is surprising to me. I don't know why - I guess because it's not a game system in the traditional sense.

chad78 said:
It's just this Leapfrog thing is surprising to me. I don't know why - I guess because it's not a game system in the traditional sense.
Im actually in agreement. What's so special about this console? It's big and bulky and the screen looks crap.

The fact that you will most likely be able to buy it in the shops makes it quite different from all the PMPs out there. The screen doesn't look particularly bad to me, it just looks like a bog standard 320x240 LCD - as you'd expect.

@Nova> Well:

1./ 320x240 is OK.Remember it is game handheld more like GP32 or GBA than PSP or PANDORA.
2./ It is bigger thats right but it is game handheld not mp4 player or media player.I can remember GAMEGEAR times so DIDJ is OK for me.

Back