Left Speaker Stopped Working

dabridge

Still Fresh
Well, I should say it fell, but my GP2X has fallen before, with it only resetting. This time, the left speaker just turned off completely.

Is this something I could fix? Meaning, a person with virtually no electronic knowledge, or should I just deal with it? I'd rather not though, is there someone out there willing to fix it(with me paying you, of course).

You mean you dropped it? Ouch.

The speakers just plug in to the PCB, so if you can get through the hassle of (i) getting a replacement and (ii) dismantling/reassembling the GP2X, then technically it's user replaceable. If you don't usually do that sort of thing though, treat "hassle" as the keyword.

Of course, it might not be so simple. If you're talking about impact damage, maybe something has gone wrong on the PCB (the solder joints on the plug for example). Maybe getting someone to look at it is the best idea. What's your location?

If you are mechanically adept then opening the GP2X isn't too difficult. As Gruso said, the speaker is plugged into the main board. Perhaps it just popped out or loosened. It may just need a push in. I'd open it up and have a look but that's my nature :)

NOTE: Closing and resealing the GP2X can sometimes be tricky and I've heard people saying it doesn't go back as tight - but it does. Just be careful screwing it back together. Don't tighten the screws too much so that the receiving plastic loses it's thread.

I find the shoulder buttons give me the most trouble when reassembling. I broke one of the plastic pivot points off the left button once. :( That took some creative fixing.

My location... anyone familiar with Texas? :D

So by what you're saying, is that I could fix it if I'm not a complete idiot and not mess up? Should I open it up, see what's wrong and see if I can fix it, and if I don't fix it/mess up, give it to someone to look at?

I don't think there's any other GP2X users near me though.

Thanks for the responses guys, I didn't expect any so fast. I love this community. ^_^

dabr1dg3x said:
My location... anyone familiar with Texas? :D
Of course, it's the smallest state in the US or something isn't it?

:p

You might as well open it up and have a look. As long as you're patient and take notice of which bits go where, you'll survive without any electronics knowledge. The speaker plugs will be easy to spot. If you can't identify the problem, someone with an electronics background should be able to. They don't necessarily have to be a GP2X person, try the local TV repair man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back