Lenovo - WTF?

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
We've seen some incredibly dumb things done 'for the benefits of consumers' by big tech companies, (Sony root kits etc.)

But, to me, this one takes the biscuit.

What the fuck were Lenovo thinking with this god awful pre installed Malware?

They deserve to drown in a veritable storm of shit IMHO.

They don't even issue Lenovo laptops where I work at IBM anymore...
What do you have then? We have T430 (or earlier T models) running Redhat. (with local repositories, but an option to open up to public repositories)

Last edited by a moderator:
ThinkPads are still awesome though.
not the piece of crap that my work bought me... spent ages gutting out the excess crap lenovo put in... and i have an amazing 2h battery life as long as i dont do anything to strenuous with it.... weighs  a ton too and they expect me to carry it to every call!! its in the cars boot and i use an Acer AOA150 netbook. 5 hr battery life and it actually works!

cant wait for a Pyra... i cand everything works needs and i can carry it in my pocket!!! 

Not nice indeed.

But you should make a clean install after such a buy anyway.

For me it doesn't make much difference, whether Windows or an annoying adware is installed.

I just bought a Lenovo notebook without any operating system preinstalled. ;)

They don't even issue Lenovo laptops where I work at IBM anymore...
What do you have then? We have T430 (or earlier T models) running Redhat. (with local repositories, but an option to open up to public repositories)
Well I still currently have my near 5 year old W510, I'm being a little reluctant to upgrade. Right now it seems everyone in the last couple years are being issued various models of Toshiba laptops.  GlobalFoundries will be taking over my division soon, so who knows what they issue... better not be Dell.  

I'm currently running Fedora 20 with their "openclient" security garbage on top. I seem to be different as most people stick to the default Windows install.. which two years ago finally forced people to switch from Windows XP to the "New" Windows 7. 

I -used- to recommend Lenovo computers to people.  Not anymore.  Inserting a security key to enable their advert partner to MITM the end user?  Dumb and greedy.

The last few HP notebooks I've bought simply feel flimsy.  I don't like the touch pads - I prefer to use the trackpoint type.

I have a perverse dislike of Dell's hardware.  I may have to re-think this as the other two main companies have turned idiotic.

I wouldn't in fact recommend any company anymore. E.g. in the past I could recommond Intel GPUs. Then came the GMA3650. >.<

So today I tell the people to test the keyboard in the store. For the rest I can look at reviews and data sheets in the internet. ;)

The only thing I would recommend every time: Installing the OS on your own! Be it Windows or Linux.

some more info about the superPhish backdoor:

Microsoft helps Lenovo, deletes Superfish 'crapware' and rogue cert  (Lenovo is a bit slow to write an uninstaller, Microsoft to the rescue!)

Extracting the SuperFish certificate (procdump and strings.... that's all! I LOL'ed at "The ghetto way")

And there are other software that do the same: ars-ssl-busting-code-that-threatened-lenovo-users-found-in-a-dozen-more-apps

Programmer? Maybe you like these links:

Overview of the one letter programming languages

popular programming languages

Oh boo, I was hoping it would be an article about some esoteric language that used one letter for everything
Well, I remember programming in this programming language that has only 8 letters for everything... or,  I remember something with dots or was it hashes, anyway, after looking around it is similar to the programming language WhiteSpace.

@Asmo: Any way I can close that window? It respawns... lol.

@Asmo: Any way I can close that window? It respawns... lol.
Does it? Sorry, posting on my Pandora, it caused no ill-effects on it. Changed the link to a different news source though, in case that's not just apt humour :)

Back