Let him with $300,000 cast the first post

monty

Over on the 'Official News' bb EvilDragon's update on the future of the project seems to have rapidly degraded into a discussion about what role the community feels Craig should have in OPT.

I am suprised how some people who may or may not have made a ~$500 purchase feel qualified to make a detailed analysis of the business character of a man they've never met, based largely on the volume of e-mails his offices send out every week and some supposedly illusive forum behavior. Said man's assets and flaws may make for an interesting discussion, but they're responsible for the Pandora's existance and it isn't for us to decide whether we want his continued involvement. To those few passing judgement; please consider that perhaps your easy Internet opinions have a higher chance of being unjustly damaging than accurate. Also, weighing up Craig against ED, as if the two are vying for our collective appreciation, do more to disengage me than any ill-tempered response from Craig.

For the record, Craig's involvement, and his Internet-facing persona of eccentric, trucculent entrepreneur, was a key selling point for me personally.

(Edited for a more measured tone :) )

EDIT: It has been suggested this be moved to the original thread. Is this possible mods? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig has a completely different business style to ED - Craig does tend to put his head in the sand and hope for the best which unfortunately was not the correct thing to do.

We as customers have detailed info of what has and has not been going on with ordering parts etc etc but then when it came to delays very little was officially published and not nearly often enough.

We only ever want to know when! and if when is > 2 months why.

Alot of info could be found by using Pandorastalker but most customers need to be told through official channels.

I think ED is excellent at communication and most must agree that his announcements have kept them waiting rather than cancelling.

If Craig was a better communicator he would have deflected all the flack he has received over the last 3 years - so he really is one of the good guys lets all remember that!

The topic had pretty much run its course in that other thread. Opinions are just opinions. And people don't have to be 'qualified' to have one. If this is a community, you've got to expect differences of opinion and some things not working for everyone. In this case, that thing was simply communication and, given you're right and we don't know him, the communication we offer is all we have to go on. Which is why it's so important, I guess. But, yeah, opinions are just opinions. Most people, even those critical, acknowledged everything Craig has given to the project already.

Why not post this there instead of making a new thread? I'm having a hard time even knowing what posts you're talking about. You mean this thread, right?

I've always felt that criticism and praise should be directed toward an action, regardless of what you think of other actions the person has committed, or the person themselves. Anything else is just biased. It's possible to appreciate and respect Craig's role in Pandora's creation while still taking legitimate issue with things he may do.

Again, I don't know exactly what you're referring to so I could be off here, but I don't see people analyzing and evaluating Craig's entire life, I see them reacting to specific behaviors on these forums. But most of what I see in that thread is appreciation. Whenever Craig posts about how badly people treat him he gets a ton of support. I saw one post there suggesting Craig leave the company altogether and a few "+1s"... still seems to me that he gets way more condolences than criticism.

Probably I should have put it at the end of the last thread. If that's more correct then it can be modded, perhaps?

Again, I don't know exactly what you're referring to so I could be off here, but I don't see people analyzing and evaluating Craig's entire life

I don't believe they were. I was referring to business character, though that wasn't obvious I'll admit.

I'm afraid the nature of Internet debate just gets my goat sometimes, though I shouldn't let it. I had intended it to be targetted at the few, not the majority.

A problem is, that some people,that are posting don't see the whole picture. There were quite more incidents, where craig didn't do a great job in expressing himself.

The "what is your ordernumber" story and him telling someone to leave the community, if he doesn't like his opinion are just some examples for complete overreaction of him. He takes critizism personally and directly.

People critizising his appstore get the equivalent of go away or are just being ignored.

He ignores everyone, who critizises him.

I doesn't mean to hurt him or something and appreciate everything he has done for the Pandoraproject, like I said in the other thread, but he gets pissed off so quickly.

I must say this is all getting very confusing and problematic for me.

Do we REALLY know what is going on??

The Pandora is such an unique, innovative and well constructed invention .

I just don't understand [in my ignorance I suppose] what for pete's sake is going on and exactly why?

How much of all of this is fabricated,speculated, exaggerated or outright falsified?

Could somebody please clarify or reiterate ?

Sorry but I just don't understand how all this has happened.

Last edited:
I must say this is all getting very confusing and problematic for me.

Do we REALLY know what is going on??

The Pandora is such an unique, innovative and well constructed invention .

I just don't understand [in my ignorance I suppose] what for pete's sake is going on and exactly why?

How much of all of this is fabricated,speculated, exaggerated or outright falsified?

Could somebody please clarify or reiterate ?

Sorry but I just don't understand how all this has happened.

It's the constant bad additude some people in the community have towards Craig...

Not witout a reason, as I stated earlier.

But from now on I will not participate in any discussion about craig on the forums anymore.

It has gotten pointless.

So I'll shut up now!

Not witout a reason, as I stated earlier.

But from now on I will not participate in any discussion about craig on the forums anymore.

It has gotten pointless.

The best solution of all! I won't start any more threads either ...

I am suprised how some people who may or may not have made a ~$500 purchase feel qualified to make a detailed analysis of the business character of a man they've never met
Craig has a history of overreacting to criticism; I've personally gotten the wrong end of that stick several times for questioning why he would choose to do something one way when another way would seem to make more sense, and every time he would quite soundly berate me for daring to question his methods. In a few cases I could have proven my way was better no matter what the scenario, but he refused to accept any suggestion: it had to be his way or else. My concern is that, once again, there's been some genuine criticism, and rather than admit that there's the possibility that he is a human being that sometimes makes mistakes or needs help, he's decided that this criticism is more proof that the world is against him. Or perhaps he has received a lot of extremely unwarranted hate mail just piling into his inbox and he's rightfully decided enough is enough. I can honestly say I'm not sure which of those two scenarios I would prefer. :(

I've not followed the last weeks action (though I bookmarked some well wishing threads for me to catch up on in a few days :) .. Is craig leaving/fed-up?

C is eccentric, and as imperfect as us all.. But brave too :)

Live the topic title!

He's still around, though his role in the Pandora is shrinking week by week. This e-mail issue is creating a big-ass divide; half the community seems to trust him, whilst the other half doesn't.

Craig is human that is all.

As with all of us, he is not perfect.

he has his bright shining moments (i.e. dragging the pandora into existance).

but he also has his dark moments ("what is your order number" etc).

In my opinion (that is all this is), because craig sometimes makes really great decisions, I think this clouds his judgement and causes him to belive his ways of doing things are always the best way of doing things.

Of course this isnt always the case but no body is perfect and people (including craig) learn from lifes mistakes so hopefully the pandora experiance has made craig a better man, I wish him success and hope that he doesnt leave the pandora project.

I also just wished he would listen to some of the community from time to time when they offer him support.

Probably I should have put it at the end of the last thread. If that's more correct then it can be modded, perhaps?

Again, I don't know exactly what you're referring to so I could be off here, but I don't see people analyzing and evaluating Craig's entire life

I don't believe they were. I was referring to business character, though that wasn't obvious I'll admit.

I'm afraid the nature of Internet debate just gets my goat sometimes, though I shouldn't let it. I had intended it to be targetted at the few, not the majority.
You have to factor that most people will post on forums with little regard to the things they may cause. No offense to anyone but harsh opinions on forums tend to come from cowardly people irl...they wouldn't act that way face to face with the person. Also most people here have a skewed view of what is going on because they fill in blanks before all the info is available.

Just to state it...the above message is just my opinion of other people's opinions. LMAO

You have to factor that most people will post on forums with little regard to the things they may cause. No offense to anyone but harsh opinions on forums tend to come from cowardly people irl...they wouldn't act that way face to face with the person. Also most people here have a skewed view of what is going on because they fill in blanks before all the info is available.

Just to state it...the above message is just my opinion of other people's opinions. LMAO

Ahh, you put it better than I could. Tinterweb's a good place to be passive agressive. Forums can sometimes be like shared houses where the fridge gets covered in bitchy, peevish notes from the couple upstairs who're always polite and quiet when anyone's about. Sniping from the fridge.

Just to state it ... the above message is just my opinion of your opinion of other peoples' opinions.

Its amazing how quickly you people forget the time expense and personal trauma the whole openpandora team went to too bring us this little handheld if you feel biased about craigs excentricity ask yourself this what did you lose your temper at last? i lose my temper daily at things less trivial than criticism,financial pressure forum rants and manufacturing problems are big issues to have to deal with these guys have jobs on top of doing this so hats off to them for keeping this community together,

Back