Lid Holder: 3 House-Hold Items And Quickly Built

lomaxx

While i liked the construction-scheme and nostalgic flair of my FischerTechnik-lid-lock, it is a bit heavy and unbalanced. Beside that, not everyone has FischerTechnik in his house-hold. So i came up with a different idea.

What you need:

- 2 medium paper-clips
- 1 rubber band
- some isolation-tape
- pliers
- side-cutter

Take the 2 paper-clips, bend them with the pliers and apply the rubber-band to them like shown in this picture:

lid_holder_raw.jpg

Use the isolation-tape in order to reduce the chance of scratching the case-surface of your Pandora, cut of the end of the paper-clip (seen in the last picture) that would be in the way of the "1"- and delete-buttons and apply the whole thing to the Pandora:

lid_holder_applied_back.jpg

You can even close the lid:

lid_holder_applied_side.jpg

Still this is not perfect for transportation, although it can be quickly applied and removed. I intend to use it at home only anyway and the lid stays in position, just bounces a bit. When pushing the lid with the finger (or the stylus) while standing on the table, rather the whole Pandora tilts over than the lid changes angle. This was a fairly quick set meant as proof of concept and probably the paper-clip-bending can be improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work, we need a good solution to hold the lid up.

Having the screen lock at near enough 180 degrees only isnt very comfortable IMHO

I like to game 180° style :) and in the train it holds very well at around 120° to watch movies. So I have no need for this =. however it seems an easy fix.

Simple mod to hold lid at whatever angle you like.. down and dirty, but easy and cheap and easily removeable.

Little 3m Sticky pads - available at http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/277633/Scotch-Self-Stick-Rubber-Pads-Clear/ and many other places, few bucks.

Apologies for crappy pics, mytouch phone pics.

IMG_20101008_154903.jpg

IMG_20101008_154834.jpg

IMG_20101008_154937.jpg

@Twiitcher

Ah, nice. I hope these stick quite well and do not harm the case in long term because of chemical reactions. Or do these stick to the case because of a "vacuum" and not some glue? I think i will try something similar next, too. The only drawback that i can think of is that you are not able to easily attach and remove them often, if you want to switch between 180° and a more steep angle. Unless they really stick because of a vacuum. But then i guess they will get loose often.

Lomaxx said:
@Twiitcher

Ah, nice. I hope these stick quite well and do not harm the case in long term because of chemical reactions. Or do these stick to the case because of a "vacuum" and not some glue? I think i will try something similar next, too. The only drawback that i can think of is that you are not able to easily attach and remove them often, if you want to switch between 180° and a more steep angle. Unless they really stick because of a vacuum. But then i guess they will get loose often.

It's true that you basically have one default angle unless you remove them. They attach by sticky stuff on them, seems they will do no harm to the based on a quick stick/remove by me, they remove easily enough and can re-attach multiple times. At the low price new ones can be attached for relatively low cost when the old glue wears out. Not a good option for people who typically change from one angle to another frequently. For me the angle I have set is the only angle I use so this works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought similar, sticky feet. Though mine are square-shaped. Works very well. I see no problems so far. This seems to be the best solution up to now. A little hint: It seems that sticking one feet to the back is enough to hold the lid in position. " Save 50% now!" ;)

A little feedback after some days of testing: One sticky pad is not enough. I noticed today that it moved because of the pressure of the lid. Now i am testing with two. =P And there is room for 4 all together. So i still got some reserves. =)

Back