Line-In for the Pyra

RHCA

Still Fresh
Well, I don't know if this has been brought up before; the Pandora is a fabulous music player as well as a fantastic portable computer, keep this in mind and think how great it would be to have Line-In as well on the Pyra. It's portable and it will have enough power, so I think that to many musicians among us (and the ones that could find out about it), it would be great to be able to record, produce, play and bring demos everywhere, on a smallportable machine, as well as having all the other possible uses for the Line-In (digitalizing recordings on analog media, etc). In my opinion it sounds awesome and could be a selling point: An open machine, with free tools for the on-the-go musician or the audio enthusiast. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there was plans of putting the same EXT connector as the Pandora on the Pyra, but unfortunately there wasn't enough room. so that takes out one method of getting stereo line-in on the Pyra.

Well there was plans of putting the same EXT connector as the Pandora on the Pyra, but unfortunately there wasn't enough room. so that takes out one method of getting stereo line-in on the Pyra.
So the line-in won't be connected to anything on Pyra? :blink:

As it currently stands, there is no line-in on the Pyra, which is unfortunate. Line out I can understand, but you can't just jam a line-out from one system into the microphone of another.

How hard would it be to fit a 3.5mm line-in jack on the board?

How hard would it be to fit a 3.5mm line-in jack on the board?
Well, that begs the question. Is it possible for those of us who elect to forego the 3G modem to instead have a line-in or other ports where that antenna would have been? If making peripheral boards is cheaper, then this should be a possibility, right?

-God Ginrai

That would be possible if you would be fine cutting your own hole into the case
That's good to hear. I'm sure there are many people on this forum who would not mind doing that. Also, since you plan to release the case models, we (or you) could design a new case model that can be 3D printed with that hole in place, right?

-God Ginrai

I have a 3D printer, not sure I'd bother trying to print out a case for this type of work..  I'd just drill a hole and just use a low profile threaded 3.5mm jack.

That would be possible if you would be fine cutting your own hole into the case
That's good to hear. I'm sure there are many people on this forum who would not mind doing that. Also, since you plan to release the case models, we (or you) could design a new case model that can be 3D printed with that hole in place, right?

-God Ginrai
I doubt any of those "cheap" <3k$ 3d printers could print a case in acceptable quality. Maybe with a lot of manual post print work.

I have a 3D printer, not sure I'd bother trying to print out a case for this type of work..  I'd just drill a hole and just use a low profile threaded 3.5mm jack.
That depends on if we can fit more than just that jack there. What if we could wire up the old EXT port there and have all the stuff we would have lost? Or fit line-in and some other jack?

-God Ginrai

That depends on if we can fit more than just that jack there. What if we could wire up the old EXT port there and have all the stuff we would have lost? Or fit line-in and some other jack?

-God Ginrai
Yeah it's hard to tell where there would be room, I mean these Jacks can thread through a drilled hole and take not much more space than the actual plug itself so it should be easy to find a spot for it.

getimageaspig9.gif

Honestly the EXT style connector on the Pandora is a pain to deal with especially the plug side, so If I did use something to fill in for the lack of the EXT connector I'd find something a tad more easier to deal with. 

-God Ginrai
Yeah it's hard to tell where there would be room, I mean these Jacks can thread through a drilled hole and take not much more space than the actual plug itself so it should be easy to find a spot for it.
getimageaspig9.gif

Honestly the EXT style connector on the Pandora is a pain to deal with especially the plug side, so If I did use something to fill in for the lack of the EXT connector I'd find something a tad more easier to deal with.
I was talking about Dragonbox producing alternate versions of the peripheral board for those of us who don't want 3G, so the line-in connector would already be mounted in this instance.

-God Ginrai

Back