Linux Based Development Boards

Javacat

Founder of the WarmFluffyUK fan club
Website
Visit site
So I've had an idea for a project that I'm considering doing, but I'm going to need some sort of dev board with support for Java and preferably running linux. The board needs to be capable of using USB devices such as webcams, wifi dongles and controlling LCD displays for basic textual output. It also needs to be powerful enough to process the webcams video to stream it over the wifi through a Java based app.

So what are my options?

I've had a lil look at the beagle board, but it's not been released yet and I can't work out whether it's going to support java or not. I guess I could use an old compact laptop of somesort, although that would push the cost up more than I want and it'd be a little large for what I plan on doing.

If there aren't any suitable boards available that support java, what would my other options for languages be? It needs to be relatively easy to write network based apps, capable of streaming audio/video (which I suspect excludes C/C++ ;)). The software running on the dev board will be controlled by a client running on a desktop machine, which should ideally be portable.

Edit: Just realized that I was calling it the wrong thing.. It's a SoC I need!

So what are good socs and where can I get a single one that fulfils my needs? :p

Even if it worked, it would probably ask you to login to download. ME don't like giving out datasheets without an NDA.

They constantly seem to bring out a slightly faster processor than last time, slap the usual VRender on it, and call it a magical new development.

Squidge said:
Even if it worked, it would probably ask you to login to download. ME don't like giving out datasheets without an NDA.

They constantly seem to bring out a slightly faster processor than last time, slap the usual VRender on it, and call it a magical new development.
Ahh, I was wondering what was up with the database app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back