Linux On Dreamcast

DarkMetroid

Website
Visit site
With Linux on Dreamcast is it possible to surf the web or even with X-box one? I have never used Linux before and would like to try it out it would be cool If I can surf the web with my X-box B)

and about the Linux port for Gp32 what can you do with that is it worth D/ling?

I think the linux port on DC is slow (I have a disk somewhere) it has no browser on it and all it had is an emu (slow) and some other stuff if I remember correctly.

And its the browser for DC. Nothing to do with windows.. the Windows part of the DC is the softeware libaries.. but they wherent used much I dont think.

I have a modded X-box and I dont understand how I can surf the web on my DC?
what do I do hook up my router to the DC and my comp and then what???

so nobody has surfed the web with there DC but has anyone tried Linux on X-box linux shouldnt be slow on X-box its a powerful console I have to try it out

I use my DC to surf the web every now and again. I use a program called web browser.

It's.. relatively ok, except it does disconnect me a bit too often. And it's only 28k (I think).

Any way to hook a BB connection through my router? Checked for a broadband adapter but it only picks up ps2 and gamecube stuff.

Edit: On the DC that is.

OK, people, here's the answers.

DC does run on a version of Windows. A version of Windows CE built to run the DC. There is a Linux for DC, but I don't know much about it myself. You can surf the web with a DC. If you have one of the browser disks for the DC. The DC comes with a 56k (or like 33k, depending on what version it is) modem. If you have a router that you use for broadband and you'd want to try and connect the DC to the internet through the router, you'd need a broadband adapter (BBA). BBAs are rare and are usually only found up for auction on eBay. But they can run up to 150USD or more. They're rare as hell. I'm trying to get one myself, may end up having to get one from Japan or something (which should work on my system either way).

xbox has various flavours of linux which can run loads of different programs like browsers/irc clients etc.

I use my spare xbox as a 1 v 1 ut2004 server (linux dedicated server) via the debian linux distro. I recompiled several apps such as bitchx and stuff like that for xbox linux, but the mandrake distro has plenty of stuff built in.

malty

Ignore the people who think they know what they're talking about where the Dreamcast and WinCE are concerned. Pink Spider is the only one who'se close. ( kudos to him)

Anyways, here's the facts.

The Dreamcast is not powered by WinCE, WinCE is not built in, WinCE is not contained on the game discs, neither does it run the WinCE OS. Microsoft provided a devkit based on Windows CE as an alternate to Sega's Katana devkit. However, very few commercial games used it.

If you look closely, the Dreamcast actually says "Compatabile with WinCE", not "Powered by WinCE" as most people (wrongly) assume

Ignore the people who think they know what they're talking about where the Dreamcast and WinCE are concerned. Pink Spider is the only one who'se close. ( kudos to him)

Anyways, here's the facts.

The Dreamcast is not powered by WinCE, WinCE is not built in, WinCE is not contained on the game discs, neither does it run the WinCE OS. Microsoft provided a devkit based on Windows CE as an alternate to Sega's Katana devkit. However, very few commercial games used it.

If you look closely, the Dreamcast actually says "Compatabile with WinCE", not "Powered by WinCE" as most people (wrongly) assume
Thought so. ^_^. Used to hang around the DCEmu boards abit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back