Live Stream Capability Out Of The Box

b._.o._.b

Probably the only reason I will use wifi on the Pandora will be for listening/watching live streams like youtube, radio etc. I hope they will all work out of the box.

Until now I only have seen one distro capable of doing that out of the box and that is Xandros for the eeepc.

Most problematic are the bbc live streams (I normally don't have issues with the flash streams)
The streams on this page http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/ are usually no problem, but there are still distro's that don't support it.

This might be a good thread for the Pandora guys to test some problematic streams to give 'us' a good out of the box experience.

The adobe flash player is not included by most distros either because the legality of distributing it is dubious or simply because it's not open source. Just install the flash player and mplayer for other streams and enjoy.

As for the pandora, there is no adobe flash player available for the ARM cpu architecture. It could ship with gnash which can play flash streaming things like youtube, but not all flash content. Other streams should work with mplayer or vlc.

Also, both mplayer and vlc can play .flv files so a plugin that fetches the .flv and plays it with one of them is possible.

Its very unlikely that watching stream from Youtube/etc will work out of the box, but it shouldn't be difficult to get that functionality, as sindbad states.

Maybe asking Adobe directly for a ARM Flash plugin? Their players are usualy free and if I understand this GNU right, you can run a closed Source program onto a open source OS to. ^^"""

Sadly, without "official" flash & Co., there are many restrictions onto the Internet these days. :(

Squidge said:
Its very unlikely that watching stream from Youtube/etc will work out of the box, but it shouldn't be difficult to get that functionality, as sindbad states.
That's too bad. I'm only not speaking for myself, because I have a couple of years Linux experience. Ubuntu has 'solved' this issue by auto-installing the required codecs and programs when you click on a link that isn't supported.
A repository that fixes these things for newbies (or lazy guys like me) would be nice.

fusion_power said:
Maybe asking Adobe directly for a ARM Flash plugin? Their players are usualy free and if I understand this GNU right, you can run a closed Source program onto a open source OS to. ^^"""

Sadly, without "official" flash & Co., there are many restrictions onto the Internet these days. :(
Seems to me like a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
the chances that Adobe will release an ARM version of Flash player (unless specified to some special product/vendor that can pay them a lot) is slim, a Linux arm version of flash = even slimmer.

but I guess no harm in asking as long as they don't get spammed etc, would be better I think to approach them when Pandora is out and as a community with some points as to why it would benefit them and so on (io: in a more "official" manner)

Holokauston said:
the chances that Adobe will release an ARM version of Flash player (unless specified to some special product/vendor that can pay them a lot) is slim, a Linux arm version of flash = even slimmer.
and doing it without being paid, even slimmer.

Adobe didn't even port Flash to the iPhone (which is ARM based). They blame Apple for that, but nonetheless, don't expect Adobe Flash on the Pandora :)

Would it be legal to ship the Maemo flash player? It has most stuff statically linked and any other libs could be provided. Am I missing something?

Laurent said:
Adobe didn't even port Flash to the iPhone (which is ARM based). They blame Apple for that, but nonetheless, don't expect Adobe Flash on the Pandora :)
I've heard from a variety of sources that it doesn't currently exist (as we all know), but is in the making.

How about flash lite 3?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Lite)

My Nokia N95 can play flv videos in the browser.

As sindbad has already mentioned, Adobe HAVE ALREADY created a Linux/ARM port of their flash plug-in for Nokia's Maemo (Linux based) platform, so I'd expect somebody could get this working on Pand with a bit of hackery if Adobe aren't interested in releasing an oficial pandora port. On top of this both Adobe and Mozilla are working on improving their net experience on ARM devices, so its not as grim looking as people are making it out.

As much as I enjoy GV/YT etc. flash (and Adobe) are the scourge of the net. Flash 9 for Linux/x86 is STILL very buggy and there's STILL no sign of a 64-bit win or lin flash plug-in. Will Adobe ever get their act together? You'd think they had no money to develop the thing or something- what the excuse? This is why I'm cheesed GV chose flash over theora- I watched the Linux Audio Developers conference last year which was streamed via ogg theora and the picture quality etc. was fine but this is about the only time I can say I've seen ogg video streaming implemented.

I hear Sun are working on a new, patent-free video streaming format so I hope that they do a good job, promote it well and that GV will realise the error of their ways and switch to it so we're not all suffering from Adobes incompetence and power-hungry ways any longer. GNASH? Yes, its getting better but if Adobe can't make Flash work properly under Linux then what chance have the gnash guys got?

danboid said:
On top of this both Adobe and Mozilla are working on improving their net experience on ARM devices, so its not as grim looking as people are making it out.

And ARM probably isn't stand still :)

Back