Lock Screen On Sleep?

daffy

I can't see how to have the thing ask me for a password after it wakes from "sleep".

I don't know if the option for this exists at the momemt, but a possible workaround readily springs to mind, if you happen to be using Xfce.

If you right-click on the panel, and choose "Add New Items", one of the options in this window is to add a pair of buttons for locking the screen or logging out. Click on this, and then click the "Add" button in the lower-right corner of the window. If you add this, this way you should at least be able to manually lock the screen before you put it into sleep mode, assuming that this option works (though I'm aware of no reason why it shouldn't). (However, I'm afraid I can't test it at this time. Sorry.)

Found it. Looks like a good workaround.

Only it does nothing. Doesn't work. Faulty. :)

This seems like a non-trivial thing to want to do. Right now, you can't put anything confidential on the thing.

No-one?

Should be possible with xscreensaver. You'd need to install that though.

daffy said:
Right now, you can't put anything confidential on the thing.
Correct, and always will be. The only way you can even pretend that it is secure is to use an encrypted filesystem for your SD cards, and keep data on there.

If you wish to hook into the existing events (screen close, power switch) then you can modify /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap (which is read at boot) or the scripts which are referenced in this file.

xlock seems not to be installed, it should be in the Angstrom repository somewhere though.

Last edited by a moderator:
tsh said:
xlock seems not to be installed, it should be in the Angstrom repository somewhere though.
opkg has no idea what I'm talking about when I tell it to install xlock. Nor does opkg search lock find anything.

daffy said:
tsh said:
opkg has no idea what I'm talking about when I tell it to install xlock. Nor does opkg search lock find anything.
I looked - and found nothing too... Did you try xscreensaver?

There may be one or two scripts that should already be installed: "xflock" (or xflock4, not sure), and "xlock". Check if either of those exist and if they do what you're expecting. Should be in either /bin or /usr/bin I think.

Back