GP32 Long Filenames

fdave

Final Dave
Website
www.finalburn.com
Good news, I managed to get some long filenames onto my SMC! I used GPDrive.

And just like in DOS they appear as AFTERBU~1.SMD, so can you tell me, for long filenames how can I read out the full filename on the GP32 to display in the rom list?

Presumably this is a FAT extension thing

you'd have to change gp32's bios to support long filenames i think..
sry, but if it would be easily possible someone had already done it :D

Edit: fogive me for what i'm writing ^^

You need to be able to read the vFAT tables to get the long filenames. gpDrive puts all the vFAT stuff on the SMC (well Windows does it for you).

You don't need to make any changes to the Bios at all to do this but you will not be doing this if you use the GamePark SDK for all your file access.

I know of a few bits of working code to READ long file names that are derived from the Samsung SMC code, they write using the short names. Before anyone asks, I don't have the code anymore. Not looked at Frodo but I would guess it does long file names in the above way so should be a good code sample to look at ;).

DJWillis posted on May 31 2004 at 08:54 PM said:
You need to be able to read the vFAT tables to get the long filenames. gpDrive puts all the vFAT stuff on the SMC (well Windows does it for you).

You don't need to make any changes to the Bios at all to do this but you will not be doing this if you use the GamePark SDK for all your file access.

I know of a few bits of working code to READ long file names that are derived from the Samsung SMC code, they write using the short names. Before anyone asks, I don't have the code anymore. Not looked at Frodo but I would guess it does long file names in the above way so should be a good code sample to look at ;).

crikey - all sounds a bit involved! writing your own FAT reader from scratch I mean :)

Is there any simpler way to just get the extra FAT info, using the GamePark functions?

Last edited by a moderator:
fdave posted on May 31 2004 at 10:07 PM said:
Is there any simpler way to just get the extra FAT info, using the GamePark functions?
Not that I know of, Squidge is very good on this sort of stuff ;).

Let me have a dig in my code dump and see what I have that may be of use.

gp32linux should be able to read ext2/3 filesystem.
@the_Diabologic: What do you need it for?

I have a better (quicker) idea, add zip support and read the long filename from the zip?

-Craig

www.gbax.com
Good idea, but if you have a lot of zips, it could take a long while to display the menu. It's one of the performance problems I had with BOR. Eventually I cached the directory table, but you can't do that if you have multiple zip files to process.

Unless of course you save the output and give the user a "refresh list" type kinda button.

I have a better (quicker) idea, add zip support and read the long filename from the zip?

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Thing is I already have to rename my romset for the XBox because of the 42 character limit. I thought that was bad enough, but having to rename it to 8.3 is just crazy! It'll never work for one thing - all the duplicate filenames :p

Back