Lost Ember (Exploration-Adventure) - anyone interested in backing it ?

thatgui

Advanced Member

Infos

Looks beautifully to my eyes..maybe someone wants to back it - when their kickstarter campaign takes off. Interesting detail: they state, that they will only start a campaign if their newsletter reaches 5000 subscriptions.

Exploration - Adventure sounds nice, but it's hard to do it well. I'll keep an eye on it.

looks like a cross between Howl's Moving Castle (the ember thing) and Space Station Silicon Valley (taking over other animals, though perhaps this is more humane??).

really enjoy the art style of the visuals besides the sparkly red stuff, and the wind lines when diving as a bird...

Assuming this is actual gameplay footage, this looks unbelievably boring. It really reminds me of Flower, except the symbolism is much more overt. Games like these make me itch for a dose of punch-die-kill.

I will say, however, that Mooneye is going about trying to start a successful KS campaign the right way by building from the ground-up first, especially since they recognize how small they are. In a world of terrible KS campaigns (hipsters be like, "Brb, gotta charge my measuring tape."), this is a breath of fresh air.

Assuming this is actual gameplay footage, this looks unbelievably boring. It really reminds me of Flower, except the symbolism is much more overt. Games like these make me itch for a dose of punch-die-kill.

I will say, however, that Mooneye is going about trying to start a successful KS campaign the right way by building from the ground-up first, especially since they recognize how small they are. In a world of terrible KS campaigns (hipsters be like, "Brb, gotta charge my measuring tape."), this is a breath of fresh air.

I tend to agree. Maybe it's the American in me, but just how much fun is mere exploration within a predefined game system going to be, even if you're "soul-jumping" into other animal forms and modes of travel? Seems mind-numbingly tedious to me. It could be a good game for 12-year old girls (no offense to anyone intended)....it's just not for me. Not now. Not from what I just saw. I also hate "chick-flicks" and I like sports, so ...uhhh, I wish them luck with their target audience - whatever it is.

Maybe it'll morph into something entertaining, revolutionary even...someday? ;)
[doublepost=1472008519,1472002664][/doublepost]it just comes down to this: Is it a GAME or is it an EXPERIENCE? The more that it tends towards the latter, the more that you lose me. Doesn't matter how immersive it is, I'm competitive and I like playing games. It actually is a way to entertain me. I also like unwinding with movies. I'm in a different mindset then. I haven't found an immersive movie that I want to play in and control. They probably don't exist...yet?

Hi all,

Thanks @thatgui for sharing, it looks like a great game indeed :)

I told my girlfriend about it, and she quickly registered to the mailing list !

Cheers, Magic Sam

The music didn't do it for me. Vocals not my liking, but the lyrics and structure of them had no resonance with me.

Did like the fish, and the creature after it
Some more exiting and brutal elements of nature to balance it off, with some intrigue and mental challenge or activity, and this is very good.

You could surf around and find poems, sounds, graphics like runes or similar.
Maybe you could be made aware of your part in the land, so that if you are a predator, you should pick your pray to ensure what you pray on is healthy and so on.

Or you could learn what plastic and carcinogens do to the ecosystem.

Considering that I found Bernband enchanting (and the purpose of the game is "go around until you are bored"), I suppose I will like this game too :D

Although he tends to be extremely sjw for a few years now, the exploration games by Nicklas Nygren (Knytt Series) are really good.
Good exploration games can also just be Metroidvanias without the fighting/violence and that's something I'd like to see more often.

I can't find any infos on their site for which operating systems it will be ported and whether a DRM-free build is planned. Those are the first things I look for when deciding whether something is of interest since in the end I need to be able to play it after all.

Hopefully the music doesn't suck so much as it does in the trailer, I hate this standard "piano plus pop-tenor" stuff and I guess this is what you meant when thinking of 12 year old girls as the target audience.
When being inside a virtual wilderness, I want to hear great environmental sounds and/or music that could have been made in such an environment (which excludes all electronics, immobile instruments and microphone singers).
The music didn't do it for me. Vocals not my liking, but the lyrics and structure of them had no resonance with me.
[...]
You could surf around and find poems, sounds, graphics like runes or similar.
Maybe you could be made aware of your part in the land, so that if you are a predator, you should pick your pray to ensure what you pray on is healthy and so on.

Or you could learn what plastic and carcinogens do to the ecosystem.
We should probably design a game together some day.
The tunes I write and play on my instruments often have themes like "open view from a mountain top" or "wandering through the woods" etc... anyway.
really enjoy the art style of the visuals besides the sparkly red stuff, and the wind lines when diving as a bird...
Yes, those effects destroy the immersion just like the music.

Last edited:
Back