M3 Simply Or R4?

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
Ok, I intend to get a ds lite, and I have an M3 Perfect, which I love. It's bulky as is, however, and with the lite it will be even bulkier. The cheapest solution I've found would be to grab an M3 simply (or another slot1 solution). I realize I can't play GBA, which is fine. I rarely do play any GBA games, but if I end up wanting to play one, I'll settle for the Perfect I have right now. It seems to me that a slot 1 would be the best option for me (or others who will primarily play ds games on the ds).

After much googling, I've found 2 amazing deals. 1 is for an m3 simply slot 1, for 33.60 USD shipped. The same site is offering an R4 slot 1 for 30 USD shipped. The site is reputable so I'm not worried about that. I found the deals through fatwallet.

My question is, A: can I use either one with a ds fat until I buy a ds lite? I assume so, but I'll ask anyway.

B: Which is best??! I'd opt for the R4 considering it's cheaper, but if the M3 is better I'll splurge and pay the other $3.66 ;)

Experiences? And please try to be as honest as possible!

Ps. I'll also need a micro sd. 512mb+ would be fine. I'm really looking for a fantastic price, if one exists.

I don't have mine yet (it's currently being shipped), but I went with the R4 because of its Action Replay support. I don't know if the M3 Simply has similar support but getting the GBA cheat support working on my M3 CF was a pain in the ass.

I've heard that the older models of R4 and M3 are interchangeable, though. The newer ones aren't, but they're still very similar. Personally, I'd save the extra couple of bucks and go with the R4.

yes you can use the r4 with any ds..

I would go for the r4, not just because it is cheaper, but because it have more updates (and before the m3)
and because clean rom support is PERFECT
also if you buy from dealextreme.com (recommended!!) you can get the r4+a 1gb Kingston (Japanese version,
the Japanese version will run any game for ds perfectly, it is the best microSD) for 40 USD!! so I would go for that.. :)

Purchased the R4 from deal extreme. I also bought a 1gb pqi microsd from fry's for 5 bucks after rebate, yeah!

Also, please explain "clean rom support". What does that mean?

Cant wait for it to arrive. The m3 perfect I have now will be stored until I need to play gba!

edit: it means i dont need to patch roms? really?!

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Purchased the R4 from deal extreme. I also bought a 1gb pqi microsd from fry's for 5 bucks after rebate, yeah!

Cant wait for it to arrive. The m3 perfect I have now will be stored until I need to play gba!

funny, the pqi is the exact card card I got from fry's, for the same price!
clean rom support just means that it will run all normal (commercial) roms, without patching
also I forgot, it runs the rumble pack (that came with metriod prime pinball) perfectly with no patching, the only patching you may have to do is for some homebrew games :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd get the chinese version because it's cheaper, but can I change the language to english afterwards?

purple_goat said:

funny, the pqi is the exact card card I got from fry's, for the same price!
clean rom support just means that it will run all normal (commercial) roms, without patching
also I forgot, it runs the rumble pack (that came with metriod prime pinball) perfectly with no patching, the only patching you may have to do is for some homebrew games :)

Sounds like a huge improvement over the m3 perfect I have now.

Can't wait :)

purple_goat said:
Nova said:
I'd get the chinese version because it's cheaper, but can I change the language to english afterwards?
no
get the english version

Wrong. There's a jumper on the card's PCB. Bridge it and you'll have the English version. On early revision R4/M3 Simply cards, there was a jumper that controlled whether the card would run R4 or M3 Simply firmware (with it bridged you were able to run M3 Simply firmware and without R4 firmware) as well, but it has been removed in subsequent revisions.

Damn, I just bought the english version before reading this...

hi dcgm

well i have been thinking about buying a r4 soley for ds emulation and so i have looked around for a micro sd card well the best offer i have found is this

+ you get a card reader :)

tim0391 said:
hi dcgm

well i have been thinking about buying a r4 soley for ds emulation and so i have looked around for a micro sd card well the best offer i have found is this

ah, that's a great deal. Nothing I can do now though. Meh :(

tim0391 said:
hi dcgm

It's not a great deal, really. It's in the amazon marketplace, which means the sellers can go to town with postage. In this case, they did. Price including postage amounts to £8.30 ($16.60)

Tim, the cheapest micro SD I have found is... £6.50

Nova said:
tim0391 said:
hi dcgm

It's not a great deal, really. It's in the amazon marketplace, which means the sellers can go to town with postage. In this case, they did. Price including postage amounts to £8.30 ($16.60)

Tim, the cheapest micro SD I have found is... £6.50

i thought when the price was dark red it was from amazon :blink:

38687136mp5.jpg

er, regarding English/Chinese versions, dealextreme sell the revised copy (as you can tell from the lack of extra white shell) so you couldn't switch languages B)
*slugs epitaph in the eye*
*knees epitaph in the nuts*
*rips out epitaph's spinal cord*
*screams in epitaph face*
*throws epitaph off a building*
* :angry: *

purple_goat said:
er, regarding English/Chinese versions, dealextreme sell the revised copy (as you can tell from the lack of extra white shell) so you couldn't switch languages B)
*backs away from the crime scene slowly*

Nova said:
purple_goat said:
*backs away from the crime scene slowly*

seriously man, you need some help...

Back