Make Millions Of Them!

willrandship

My prediction is that this device will attract tons of the gp2x crowd after it is released and lots more software is made. If this is the case, I think you should mass produce as many as people will buy! The wiz may be much less expensive but this is much better in value. People will realize this when they are actually released. In my opinion, if there are enough requests this should be stocked in all the popular shops for the GP2X, Wiz and Dingoo.

Sorry if this has already been decided!

sure why not, where do we sign the contract for millions?

i bet thats what OPT would say if offered

If this had been out a year ago, as hoped & intended i would say you could very well be right. But by now, more powerful devices that has pretty much the same or better spec's as compared to the Panda is starting to surface. With the "iControlpad" and similar items your simply creating a unit that will give the Panda a run for it's money, and severely limit the Pandas market penetration. Yes, the Panda is small, has a qwerty keyboard, is a clamshell, and so on. But the competing item is a phone. Your going to try and persuade people to buy a extra item they need to carry around, as well as they need to keep somewhat up to date with the phone capabilities. The phone on the other hand offers to let the buyer make 1 significant buy, and then go with that.
It's going to be hard to reach any sort of significant market penetration. These 4K units are pretty much sold out even b4 they are made as far as i know. The few "free" units seam to be buyers giving up on waiting, and canceling there orders, so they already were sold once... So to speak. Making a second batch of 4K might be a lot faster, and might be just as easy to sell. But put it in perspective. Your going to have to sell 250 batches of 4000 units to make just 1 million in sold units. Thats going to be a whole lot.

And, IF this were to seam even remotely likely to any major phone brand, they would release something along the lines of a updated "Nokia N-Gage" device. Bigger screen, multitouch, and a hardware slideout keyboard would pretty much be what it needs to be modified with if you look to the original. It wouldn't be "as good" as the Panda, but in 6 months Nokia could have it on sale, it would cost "phone money" and you would always have it with you, without packing a extra item. And it would have better hardware specs if you look at figures as memory, and computing power. Easy.

No. I hope the guys get a good maybe 10 production runs out of this item b4 they end up with units sitting in there storage and selling slowly. By then they MIGHT feel like bringing out a device for me. Pretty much the same thing, not clamshell, and only a on-screen keyboard. It in turn would probably only yield half as many production runs seeing as how most that wanted a similar device, and didn't go the phone route already got the Panda. Just people desperate enough to want some mouse touchscreen emulation for Amigas and similar without sacrificing proper game controls for arcade / console emulation would get that one.

I'd love for the guys to make a huge hit, but i doubt it. We are the geeks. We buy this sort of stuff. Getting sales by the millions means you have to hit a much more mainstream crowd.
Just my few cents.
B!

Mr B said:
If this had been out a year ago, as hoped & intended i would say you could very well be right. But by now, more powerful devices that has pretty much the same or better spec's as compared to the Panda is starting to surface. With the "iControlpad" and similar items your simply creating a unit that will give the Panda a run for it's money, and severely limit the Pandas market penetration. Yes, the Panda is small, has a qwerty keyboard, is a clamshell, and so on. But the competing item is a phone. Your going to try and persuade people to buy a extra item they need to carry around, as well as they need to keep somewhat up to date with the phone capabilities. The phone on the other hand offers to let the buyer make 1 significant buy, and then go with that.
It's going to be hard to reach any sort of significant market penetration. These 4K units are pretty much sold out even b4 they are made as far as i know. The few "free" units seam to be buyers giving up on waiting, and canceling there orders, so they already were sold once... So to speak. Making a second batch of 4K might be a lot faster, and might be just as easy to sell. But put it in perspective. Your going to have to sell 250 batches of 4000 units to make just 1 million in sold units. Thats going to be a whole lot.

And, IF this were to seam even remotely likely to any major phone brand, they would release something along the lines of a updated "Nokia N-Gage" device. Bigger screen, multitouch, and a hardware slideout keyboard would pretty much be what it needs to be modified with if you look to the original. It wouldn't be "as good" as the Panda, but in 6 months Nokia could have it on sale, it would cost "phone money" and you would always have it with you, without packing a extra item. And it would have better hardware specs if you look at figures as memory, and computing power. Easy.

No. I hope the guys get a good maybe 10 production runs out of this item b4 they end up with units sitting in there storage and selling slowly. By then they MIGHT feel like bringing out a device for me. Pretty much the same thing, not clamshell, and only a on-screen keyboard. It in turn would probably only yield half as many production runs seeing as how most that wanted a similar device, and didn't go the phone route already got the Panda. Just people desperate enough to want some mouse touchscreen emulation for Amigas and similar without sacrificing proper game controls for arcade / console emulation would get that one.

I'd love for the guys to make a huge hit, but i doubt it. We are the geeks. We buy this sort of stuff. Getting sales by the millions means you have to hit a much more mainstream crowd.
Just my few cents.
B!

just one thing....
You specified the IPhone buyers as main customers. I see everyone who has or has owned a GP2x of any kind/Dingoo/SmartQ5 to buy it. Many many geeks bought those.
That's who it'll really sell to, not to any Iphone-carrying person.

Plus, what do you think people who own a PSP/DS do? They carry it around with them, along with their phone!

also, I've heard jailbroken Iphones actually run slower, and the Icontrolpad requires the phone to be jailbroken, does it not?

Edit: on the Wikipedia article it says ED estimated 60000 GP2X's sold. That's a lot of extra customers, if most buy it. If they like the wiz, they'll love the pandora. If they hate the wiz they'll love the pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once there are more than preorders do you think they'd mind if I advertised it at my school? I wouldn't really mind, and people would just think I was being a nerd (again) I actually had the chance to tell someone about it but they didn't believe me!

Willrandship said:
Once there are more than preorders do you think they'd mind if I advertised it at my school? I wouldn't really mind, and people would just think I was being a nerd (again) I actually had the chance to tell someone about it but they didn't believe me!

What did you tell them, that was unbelievable?

You may want to, erm, be careful with that, I'd hate to hear "Local Boy Attempts to Rip Off Thousands of Fellow Students in the Pandora Vapourware Plot".

Think about what happens if delays occur and they don't get their Pandoras quite on time... Trouble, that's what.
Plus, you may not be allowed to advertise in school.
If so, though, once the Pandora is on it's feet, GO FOR IT!

ThaDSman said:
Willrandship said:

They were going to be mass produced?

ThaDSman said:
Willrandship said:

I told them it would eventually be able to emulate PSP and PSX at Fullspeed, as well as N64. That's true, isn't it? I also told them it would have almost all free software. (Also true)

no that is not true.

n64 will most likely be emulated very well for a handful of games.
psx emuilation will be fine throughout, maybe a few troublesome titles.
psp emulation will probably never happen at a playable level.

gibberish said:
psp emulation will probably never happen at a playable level.
Why not? You have insights that we don't? Last I heard was it was performing well, but still needed a lot of work to get it to a point that could be shown off.

- You could make a fortune. Hundreds of thousands of dollars. Hey, more than that. Thousands of thousands.
- They call them "millions."
- "Millions." Hmm.

Sorry... I couldn't help thinking of this quote.

The Pandora will be a niche product until some big cooperation with more influence in the market creates something similar.

I have seen some guys comparing the iPhone with the Pandora.. why? They are not comparable. What are guys owning an iPhone/iTouch doing here anyway? This forum is called "GP32Xtreme - GP32 GP2X Pandora The Wiz - open source entertainment"

b_o_b said:
The Pandora will be a niche product until some big cooperation with more influence in the market creates something similar.

I have seen some guys comparing the iPhone with the Pandora.. why? They are not comparable. What are guys owning an iPhone/iTouch doing here anyway? This forum is called "GP32Xtreme - GP32 GP2X Pandora The Wiz - open source entertainment"

An excellent point.

b_o_b said:

Well, I'm here because I like open source entertainment, and i like free games on a free touchscreen/accelerometer.

P.S.: My mom dropped her iPhone in a pool, a week later, after she had paid exorbitant amounts to apple for another, i opened it up, cleaned off the corrosion, and charged it for a while, gotta love free electronics.

I plan to spam EVERYONE about how cool my Pandora is. I will become an unstoppable marketing force that will let everyone know how much their devices suck compared to the Pandora. Show no mercy to those who stand in the way of the mighty Pandora.

I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea... People might possibly find it annoying to be told that their choice of gear "sucks" when it probably does an excellent job for their needs, don't you think? ;)

Back