Mame 106 Any Thoughts?

I did some messing around, and it's definitely nice to have the option to play the old vertical games without holding the Pandora sideways. Quite uncomfortable to do that if you ask me, and I prefer the scaling in SDLMame to that. If you overclock and stick with the old games (pre-90s I guess) then the SDL port does it's job. Still have to wait for MAME4All to really see what the Pandora can do with MAME. Outrun awaits.

Btw, has anyone gotten food fight or robotron working? I can't get it to play on either MAME 106 or SDLMame. They both load up, then give a message I can't get to go away. I think Food Fight says NVRAM failed and Robotron says something like operational mode resumed.

I'm a bit disappointed with MAME 106 to be honest .. none of the games seem to work, and its just painful to deal with. I really look forward to MAME4ALL .. I wanna play my ROM's, not spend days downloading new sets just to find out it doesn't work!

torpor said:
I'm a bit disappointed with MAME 106 to be honest .. none of the games seem to work, and its just painful to deal with. I really look forward to MAME4ALL .. I wanna play my ROM's, not spend days downloading new sets just to find out it doesn't work!

You have to build a v.106 rom set with a program like RomCenter. A little bit of a pain, but you only have to do it once.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to build a v.106 rom set with a program like RomCenter. A little bit of a pain, but you only have to do it once.

Can you do it on Linux? I have no idea about these things, I honestly need to be schooled on MAME ROM setups ..

Wow Virtua Fighter actually loads in SDLMAME! though of course very slow, its semi playable with frameskip 7-9!
Virtua Racing also loads but the tracks graphics arent there, just the car and backdrops....

Thanks for this release though, gives me other games to tryout!

torpor said:

Can you do it on Linux? I have no idea about these things, I honestly need to be schooled on MAME ROM setups ..

I don't use Linux so I'm not sure about these tools on Linux.

I'm loving this thread!
I didn't know about romcenter so I'm glad to hear about that, I use mame on my ps3 but some of my roms don't play at all, don't even load, so maybe they just diferent version to my emu and I can just run them through this program and get them working, going to look at that.
I didn't make the roms myself I got online so don't know what versions they are.

The SF screenshots look fooking ace, and from comments running sweet too, others I play were mentioned back there, final fight, gradius, mappy, space harrier, chase hq, arkanoid!
If E-Swat plays well too, I will be sorted.

I got a question about overclocking...
It's a slide control to adjust, right?
So does this slider go up to a set limit, or do you just keep pushing it a bit by bit?
I get bit confused when some people say they clock up to 800Mhz and other people say up to 750Mhz ...how comes someone can't match what next person has acheived in terms of O/C limit, is it down to individual chips, so some can just do that little bit extra?

edit: typo

torpor said:

I just use clrmamepro and get the dats to update the roms. Actually I don't do that anymore since pleasuredome days are in order.

Fzero said:
others I play were mentioned back there, final fight, gradius, mappy, space harrier, chase hq, arkanoid!
Yay, another Mappy player! :D

I got a question about overclocking...
It's a slide control to adjust, right?
So does this slider go up to a set limit, or do you just keep pushing it a bit by bit?
I get bit confused when some people say they clock up to 800Mhz and other people say up to 750Mhz ...how comes someone can't match what next person has acheived in terms of O/C limit, is it down to individual chips, so some can just do that little bit extra?
The slider goes up to a limit of 900MHz, and the limit of what one's Pandora can go up to is, indeed, down to variations between individual chips. :) Finding what yours can do involves a little bit of trial and error, as the length of time until any individual chip might become unstable at a given speed seems to vary a bit (for example, my original Pandora would behave itself at 900MHz for about ten minutes, but its replacement will crash at 900MHz within seconds - both could/can clock stably to 850MHz, however).

Nice one Prometheus, yeah mappy is a fun game and highly adictive ;)

DaveC said:
Is there any rotate 90 deg.+ scale 2X options?

That is REALLY needed in MAME for games like galaga, Pacman, etc which look awful and small played in landscape and fraction scaled.
Rotation is in the menu but if you only want integer scaling you're best sticking to the existing MAME for now. I'm not generally a great fan of fractional scaling either, but I certainly prefer it over postage stamp-sized screens or having to hold the thing sideways.

SteveM said:
DaveC said:
Is there any rotate 90 deg.+ scale 2X options?

That is REALLY needed in MAME for games like galaga, Pacman, etc which look awful and small played in landscape and fraction scaled.
Rotation is in the menu but if you only want integer scaling you're best sticking to the existing MAME for now. I'm not generally a great fan of fractional scaling either, but I certainly prefer it over postage stamp-sized screens or having to hold the thing sideways.
Existing MAME has a rotate 2x mode? That is good.

None of these modes is ideal but it would be nice to at least have an option to do rot2x. Many arcade games were vertical. If you hold normal you STILL get a postage stamp sized image with the added bonus of it looking like shit too. The older stuff that had allot of hard edges looks especially terrible fractionally scaled. That is why all MAME versions should at least have that option . If you don't like it you need to use it but at least it is there.

Is there any hope for getting Namco System 1 emulation running full pelt on the pandora, mame4all does not do it on the gp2x

This version does, but it is pretty slow.

mark

it depend on the dev working on it ;) Craig mean porting of MAME4all then only for game befor CPS2 (1998)

Just wait, it come when it's ready ;)

is it MAME .106? or MAME .106u2? i need to know so i dont get the wrong rom set. also has there been any updates to it(for pandora)? i forgot whos working on it.

Edit: Rant, irrelevent, but rant anyway!

I really really really hate MAME's whole 'romset' bs; gorramn, I was bitchign about it day one of MAME so many years ago, and I'm going to bitch every day after :) When I rip my PCB, it shoudl work, forever; moving 'roms' between zip files, renaming them over time, its just asinine :/

I'd say it accounts for 95% of the issues people have with MAME, and its nothing a port can do; its just MAME politics :( (Over time, somme of it is code changes, but I've never agreed with the idea of 'saving space' by removing files form one romset and putting them in another; or renaming after they have been around awhile. Using 'rom rename tools' is retarded and often doesn't work. Even those of us who rip our own PCBs from arcade originals will resort to copying the files from the net, since its just too much pita to keep atop of!)

jefphone

skeezix said:

I really really really hate MAME's whole 'romset' bs; gorramn, I was bitchign about it day one of MAME so many years ago, and I'm going to bitch every day after :) When I rip my PCB, it shoudl work, forever; moving 'roms' between zip files, renaming them over time, its just asinine :/

I'd say it accounts for 95% of the issues people have with MAME, and its nothing a port can do; its just MAME politics :( (Over time, somme of it is code changes, but I've never agreed with the idea of 'saving space' by removing files form one romset and putting them in another; or renaming after they have been around awhile. Using 'rom rename tools' is retarded and often doesn't work. Even those of us who rip our own PCBs from arcade originals will resort to copying the files from the net, since its just too much pita to keep atop of!)

jefphone
+1 x 10^10000000000000000000000

ROMs is ROMs. If you take a chip dump its contents it is what it is, full stop. I don't get the whole ROM rename mindfuck.

DaveC said:
skeezix said:

jefphone
+1 x 10^10000000000000000000000

ROMs is ROMs. If you take a chip dump its contents it is what it is, full stop. I don't get the whole ROM rename mindfuck.
Exactly, I think they started with some spotty 14 year old wanting to collect every rom and catalogue them into one big database....what's the point? Who's gonna bother reading that when all people want to do is play the games, u can't play them all, it's like collecting every spec, cpc and c64 game and expecting to play them all in one lifetime...we don't have enough days in our life people, get real and play the games u want to play or have read that are good.

Back