Shikaku

ROFL THE WORD PENIS IS HILARIOUS!
USA... I feel lonely, not that many people from US
Website
Visit site
http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

New MAME GP2X 2.8:

- New faster threaded sound core.
No choppy sound. Games running too slow, e.g. Iron Horse, now run ok. Other games need less overclocking to run at 100%, etc.
- MMU Hack runs better and more stable.
- Full 4 USB Joypad Support through the GP2X Interface Board.
- Added spinner control via the shoulder buttons to Tron, Discs of Tron and Mad Planets. Thx, Sean Poyser.
- Added the use of diagonals to Q*Bert and derivatives. Thx, Sean Poyser.

This has a great speed increase. Fantastic.

One thing I noticed though are a few bugz.

The sound will get distorted or garbled momentarily and then correct itself. I had the opening tune of Ms Pac-man get all distorted in the beginning. I tried again and it was fine, seems to be an intermittant thing. I tested with older games such as MrDO!, MsPac-man etc. and with the regular MAME not "fast" or "accurate" versions. It also seems to "pop" when changing sounds. So for example in MrDo! when you start to eat cherries it will pop at the begginning of each sound. MrDO seems to show this popping and momentary distortion/crackling alot if you play it for awhile, it may not do it right away. That seems like a

Then I was trying different games and the sound went out all together. I tried different games and still no sound. Then I tried to exit the emu with the 2 shoulder button press and it went to a screen with 2 smaller copies of the menu screen with a shifted pallette then froze. It does this when changing games and/or going into the config screen. I was trying different stuff and then loaded Dig-Dug. It came up with a weird screen about credits so I pressed a button and it went into the game. The only thing is all of the sprites were missing. I shut off the unit, tried again it then worked fine. It seems memory or some registers are getting corrupted or something.

I hope this helps with any bug hunting.

Thanks for the great emu.

I have also found that sound disappears. Not sure if this happens for all games but I've been trying Robotron and have found this to be the case.

It's an amazing release though - speed increase seems considerable!

DaveC posted on Sep 30 2006 at 02:30 AM said:

The sound will get distorted or garbled momentarily and then correct itself. I had the opening tune of Ms Pac-man get all distorted in the beginning. I tried again and it was fine, seems to be an intermittant thing. I tested with older games such as MrDO!, MsPac-man etc. and with the regular MAME not "fast" or "accurate" versions. It also seems to "pop" when changing sounds. So for example in MrDo! when you start to eat cherries it will pop at the begginning of each sound. MrDO seems to show this popping and momentary distortion/crackling alot if you play it for awhile, it may not do it right away. That seems like a

Then I was trying different games and the sound went out all together. I tried different games and still no sound. Then I tried to exit the emu with the 2 shoulder button press and it went to a screen with 2 smaller copies of the menu screen with a shifted pallette then froze. It does this when changing games and/or going into the config screen. I was trying different stuff and then loaded Dig-Dug. It came up with a weird screen about credits so I pressed a button and it went into the game. The only thing is all of the sprites were missing. I shut off the unit, tried again it then worked fine. It seems memory or some registers are getting corrupted or something.

Yes, momentarily sound bugs, i have also noticed it. I think i will fix it soon, i will have to change the auto-frameskip+frame-limiter code, this will also fix the crapy sound in CPS-1 games. I will try to follow the MAME4ALL code that seems to be better and solve those problems (at least in the Dreamcast, Chui told me about this problem and he solved it with some auto-frameskip code from Uae4all).

About the hangs when exit or the stability issues, i have also noticed it. I will try to fix this for the next version too...

Thanks and regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if a bug or my usb joystick isnt being recognised. if i plug up a usb joystick (MS Sidewinder) and load MAME it freezes just after the splash screen. if i plug the joystick in on the rom select screen the green light on the BOB lights up but the joystick doesnt work.

i havent tried the joystick with anything else so it may just be my joystick isnt compatible, are there any other programs which support usb joystick I can try it on?

mame inits joysticks before splash screen so pluggin' after won't help..
it seems your joysticks is not compatible and insmod'ing the joystick module crashes..
(check console output if you can)

also see:
usbjoy lib + joytest

please make sure usb host mode is enabled under settings.

Guyfawkes posted on Sep 30 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
not sure if a bug or my usb joystick isnt being recognised. if i plug up a usb joystick (MS Sidewinder) and load MAME it freezes just after the splash screen. if i plug the joystick in on the rom select screen the green light on the BOB lights up but the joystick doesnt work.

i havent tried the joystick with anything else so it may just be my joystick isnt compatible, are there any other programs which support usb joystick I can try it on?

Ran the joytest through debug cable and got the following

Code:
bash-2.05a# ./joytest.gpe
GP2X minimal library v0.B by rlyeh, (c) 2005.
Using /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/drivers/input/joydev.o
insmod: A module named joydev already exists
ERROR: No Joystick found

Although it says no joystick found, the test program works fine, it identifies it as a MS Sidewinder on DEV/INPUT/JS0, AXES: 2, BUTTONS:10 which is all correct.

update: heres the output from mamegp2x:

Code:
bash-2.05a# ./mame_gp2x.gpe
Installing NK's kernel module for Squidge MMU Hack...
Using mmuhack.o

Found 1 Joystick(s)
+-Joystick 1: Microsoft® Microsoft® SideWinder® Game Pad USB

looks like its finding it but crashing just after when it inits.

I had similar problems about joysticks. It should be about joylib.

Also my 2 x PS2 port to one usb converter shows only one game pad. This is the case most of 2 port -> 1 usb converters.

Anyway, it's a great release. Thank you Franxis!

Code:
bash-2.05a# ./joytest.gpe

Although it says no joystick found, the test program works fine, it identifies it as a MS Sidewinder on DEV/INPUT/JS0, AXES: 2, BUTTONS:10 which is all correct.

that no joystick found error message is normal as the joystick init loop of 4, insmod's 4 times and actually the first one inits them all..

Code:
Found 1 Joystick(s)
+-Joystick 1: Microsoft® Microsoft® SideWinder® Game Pad USB

looks like its finding it but crashing just after when it inits.
well, after printing the found joysticks info, mame displays splash screen and initializes game listing.
so the freezing is after usbjoy init and.. hmm.. i'm out of ideas..

anything microsoft related, seems to crash for no apperant reason :)

heh typical :) tv out not working and now my joystick has problems... at least my mouse is working :) if i get a chance tomorrow i will try on paeryns SDL libs and see what happens with it.

Nice work =D I will get around to donating for MAME...

I would love to see some newer games. Is there a possibility the GP2X can handle stuff like Operation Wolf, and Space Harrier?

Franxis posted on Sep 30 2006 at 07:17 AM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 30 2006 at 02:30 AM said:

Yes, momentarily sound bugs, i have also noticed it. I think i will fix it soon, i will have to change the auto-frameskip+frame-limiter code, this will also fix the crapy sound in CPS-1 games. I will try to follow the MAME4ALL code that seems to be better and solve those problems (at least in the Dreamcast, Chui told me about this problem and he solved it with some auto-frameskip code from Uae4all).

About the hangs when exit or the stability issues, i have also noticed it. I will try to fix this for the next version too...

Thanks and regards.

For most of the games that I tried I had it set to 0 frameskip. It still had the sound bugs.

DaveC posted on Sep 30 2006 at 06:37 PM said:
For most of the games that I tried I had it set to 0 frameskip. It still had the sound bugs.

The problem is not solved with frameskip 0, the entire synchronization system has to be reviewed, don't worry, it will be solved :D

Well, as you know (or not) im planing on building a arcade arround a gp2x, with mame of course.
So i wonder how many joysticks/button does/will mame2x support?
Will/does it support ipac or do you hve to ue genric usb gamepads/joysticks and solder to them?

Vimacs posted on Oct 1 2006 at 11:41 AM said:
Well, as you know (or not) im planing on building a arcade arround a gp2x, with mame of course.
So i wonder how many joysticks/button does/will mame2x support?
Will/does it support ipac or do you hve to ue genric usb gamepads/joysticks and solder to them?

In MAME GP2X 2.8 there are 12 fire buttons supported and mapped perfectly to be used with a PS-2 to USB converter with a standard PS-2 joypad. For the next version i want to add configuration files to be able to assign the fire buttons depending on the USB joypad capabilities. I also want to add the possibility to use the GP2X builtin joypad as player 1 and USB Joypad 1 as player 2.

Sample code of MAME GP2X 2.8:
Code:
			if (q == 0)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_Y; } // fire button 1
			if (q == 1)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_B; } // fire button 2
			if (q == 2)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_X; } // etc...
			if (q == 3)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_A; }

if (q == 4)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_L; }
			if (q == 5)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_R; }
			if (q == 6)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_L; } /* left shoulder button 2 */
			if (q == 7)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_R; } /* right shoulder button 2 */
			if (q == 8)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_SELECT; }
			if (q == 9)  { joyExKey |= GP2X_START; }

if (q == 10) { joyExKey |= GP2X_PUSH; }
			if (q == 11) { joyExKey |= GP2X_PUSH; }

techFreak posted on Sep 30 2006 at 04:53 PM said:
I had similar problems about joysticks. It should be about joylib.

Also my 2 x PS2 port to one usb converter shows only one game pad. This is the case most of 2 port -> 1 usb converters.

Anyway, it's a great release. Thank you Franxis!

Yes, this is a known problem. I 2xPS2 port to one converter, only one gamepad is detected. Probably it is something to be fixed in the USBJoy library...

Guyfawkes posted on Sep 30 2006 at 12:40 PM said:

Probably it is not a crash, maybe the program gets locked waiting for the joypad buttons to be not pressed? have you activated the autofire option on your joypad? Deactivated the autofire and tell me if the joypad runs ok please.

Regards.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-SideWinder...B/dp/B000069JX9 is the one i have, pretty old now :)

it doesnt have a autofire button but the button can be configured for button combinations, i think this is done in the PC software though so probably not the cause of the problem.

my joypad does work in the usbjoy test program (see posts above) which uses the same libs as mame. i havent had a chance to try with SDL yet, I am borrowing a logitech joypad off a mate in a day or two so I will knock up some code to try then.

Back