Mame And Pulstar

geise69

I know Pulstar works fine in GNGEO but I have stuttering issues, because of slow SD card access. I know MAME plays this game, but how are people running it? Mame doesn't use the graphics dump cache files. Do I somehow need to allocate more ram to be used with MAME? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well the reason it reads from the SD card in GnGeo is because the Pulsar cart is big at 48 Megs. Even though the GP2X has 64, some is used up for the OS, RAM for the emu, and the running of the game itself.

The reason it won't run in MAME is because it doesn't use cache files and the Gp2X doesn't have enough RAM itself to run the whole thing. If it did GNGeo would do the same.

DaveC said:
Well the reason it reads from the SD card in GnGeo is because the Pulsar cart is big at 48 Megs. Even though the GP2X has 64, some is used up for the OS, RAM for the emu, and the running of the game itself.

The reason it won't run in MAME is because it doesn't use cache files and the Gp2X doesn't have enough RAM itself to run the whole thing. If it did GNGeo would do the same.
I think you are wrong. Pulstar works ok in MAME GP2X (the old port) and it will run ok in MAME4ALL. It is a bug and it will be solved in the next MAME4ALL version. Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Franxis said:
DaveC said:

I think you are wrong. Pulstar works ok in MAME GP2X (the old port) and it will run ok in MAME4ALL. It is a bug and it will be solved in the next MAME4ALL version. Regards.

Thank you for your reply. I knew it was running in MAME on the GP2X since people have talked before about playing it in one of your versions of MAME. I know it has to use the cache files in GNGEO and MAME doesn't use them. I just wanted to play it in MAME since my SD card isn't that greatest, and GNGEO stutters a lot even with a fairly high over clock. So, figured I'd try it in mame. Aero Fighter 2 and 3 run great in mame with the Cyclone core. (DRZ80 or DRZ80+Cyclone give sound errors) So I was thinking about trying Pulstar and Blazing Star in MAME. Thanks again for the reply. Also I'm sorry and posted this question in your MAME4ALL 1.2 thread. Figured it would have a better chance getting answered there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back