Mame Gp2x 2.2

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
New MAME GP2X 2.2: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

- MAME GP2X join forces with the great work done by Chui in MAME4ALL (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/mame4all.html). Now it is compatible with GP2X, Dreamcast, Windows y Linux, compiled in C or C++. There are several internal changes in this release, and probably some bugs, please report them!.
- Chui: Optimizations in graphic cores: TMNT, System 16, CPS-1, Contra, Toki, Aero Fighters, Last Duel and Atari System 1.
- Chui: Optimizations in sound cores: Generic, Streams, FM, ADPCM, UDP7759, K007232 and YM2151.
- Chui: Emulator boots faster because the initial check to find available games in the SD has been optimized.
- Franxis: Compiled with GCC 4.1.0.
- Franxis: Optimizations in rotated screen video mode.
- NOTE: The sound quality is worse in some games (CPS1, Neo·Geo, etc) due to the optimizations done in sound cores. To disable those hacks and get the same sound quality than in previous MAME GP2X versions, select "ACCURATE" sound option.

- Thanks to all paypal donators: EvilDragon (www.gp32x.de), Federico Mazza, Nandove, Videogame Stuff, Denis Evans, Ricardo Cabello, Elías Ballesteros, J.Antonio Serralvo Martín, bagmouse7, Suj, funkyferdy, Gieese, Vincent Cleaver, William Burnett, Bleeg, Martin Dolphin, Ilarri, Glen Stones, Dr.Konami, Augusto Carlos Pérez Arriaza, Charles Box, Borochi, Kayday, George Tavoulareas, Timofonic, Fabrice Canava, Redox, Javitotrader, remowilliams, Scott Contrera, Jinhyun Seo, Anarchy (www.hardcore-gamer.net), Craig (www.gp2x.co.uk), Shane Monroe, Simon Beattie, Stefan Braunstein, DaveC, Colin Bradshaw, Dana Rodolico, Revod, Michael Evers, Riccardo Pizzi, Fosfy45, Dj Syto, Rob Pittman, Stefan Mueller, Musa, Unai, Sascha Reuter, Globalwide Technologies Limited, Juan Rivera-Novoa, Mark Carin, Julio Catalina Piedrahita, techFreak (www.gp2xtr.com), Darius Hardy, Charles Andre, Matt Brimelow, McOskar, SBock, Daniel PP Saurborn, Picayuco, Kojote (www.pdroms.com), Knoxximus, Tony Watterson, Matthew Forman, naples39, NEO (www.elotrolado.net), Patrick Mettes, Angel Molero Grueso, Lubidog, Smiths (www.emuholic.com), retromander, Ruben Villar, Snakefd99cb, Harkaitz, BZFrank, Sang Kim, phoda, Caesaris, Furanchu, Selcuk Cegit, K-Navis, Estaño, Jeff Hong, Jasmot, Igboo, Sergio Onorati, Julien Perret, Cheap Impostor.

Chui: Emulator boots faster because the initial check to find available games in the SD has been optimized.
Is not possible to had an option to disable this fonction when laoding to not loose time? is this fonction allways active. I mean if i launch MAME and next i quite them if i reopen it and i put 1 new rom in the directoy He rescan all the directory?

CPS-2 game is possible without sound?

Realy Realy good joy Franxis and Chui ;)

Any new supported games? I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.. doesn't look like it from the MAME4ALL Compatibility list. I really can't wait for the day when more modern hardware is supported, e.g. higher-end 68000-based games like the Cave series (Donpachi, Dodonpachi, ESP.Ra.De, Guwange, Dangun Feveron) .. Strikers 1945 (I, II, III, Plus) .. Capcom/Takumi stuff (Mars Matrix, Giga Wing), so on and so forth. It'd definitely run well-- these systems use 68000s at ~16 MHz and Z80s at ~4 MHz-- hardware close to this already runs at 60 FPS in most games (a la NeoGeo, with a 68000@12 MHz and Z80@4-- if there was lag you could always just dial down the emulated CPU clockrates a bit to alleviate it.) I guess for now, I'll just keep dreaming-- but the GP2X hardware is really capable of more than the existing MAME romsets supported.

That said, excellent work with the project so far, keep it up! You're doing a great service to the community with a fine emulator like this one.

Epicenter posted on May 1 2006 at 05:11 PM said:
Any new supported games?
Seconded! I would kill to be able to play the Konami X-Men and G.I. Joe games, and though I doubt they're on the list now it would be nice to find out what is. :) Of course, if this is a performance/bug fix release, that's cool too, though it's tough to think how this could get much better as it is. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Franxis and Chui! I look forward to examining the source code!

Epicenter posted on May 2 2006 at 09:11 AM said:
Any new supported games? I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.. doesn't look like it from the MAME4ALL Compatibility list. I really can't wait for the day when more modern hardware is supported, e.g. higher-end 68000-based games like the Cave series (Donpachi, Dodonpachi, ESP.Ra.De, Guwange, Dangun Feveron) .. Strikers 1945 (I, II, III, Plus) .. Capcom/Takumi stuff (Mars Matrix, Giga Wing), so...

Unfortunately it's not just about having the right CPU cores - though this does help. MAME underwent some very large changes after 0.35 and the way some things are done internally changed significantly. What this means is that games from MAME 0.36 onwards get progressively more difficult to convert back to 0.34/0.35.
So whilst it's not impossible, it's most likely very difficult.

Personally, I'd like to see some of the Capcom DnD games converted - they run CPS-1 (which is already supported to a degree) so should be feasible. :)
And ideally, I think getting what's already there running nicely is a higher priority then adding new games.

Perhaps the porting of a newer version of MAME would be a better approach. Doesn't even the latest version of the source compile natively to an SDL target? If the ASM cores are available for ARM9, and the frontend is made to be fully compatible with it, I don't see a very good reason it couldn't be done relatively simply. That'd enable a ridiculously large library of games, and it would just be up to common sense which would run decently and which would not; granted systems far outside the scope of the ARM920T's raw horsepower could simply be disabled as there is no point bothering to develop/find/implement an ARM9 ASM core for things like, say, 3D games. Or something that already ran pitifully slow on modern computers, e.g. Cruis'n USA. Or the old C cores could be left in place (although people would still whine about why the game ran at 1 FPS.) ;)

I second the Capcom D&D games being high on the list.

After the original GameBoy and Super Mario Land I got for my sixth birthday, that's the most important set of games I've ever played - as several hundred dollars worth of RPG merchandise and countless hours can attest.

And they're damn good games, too.

Epicenter posted on May 2 2006 at 12:01 AM said:
Perhaps the porting of a newer version of MAME would be a better approach. Doesn't even the latest version of the source compile natively to an SDL target? If the ASM cores are available for ARM9, and the frontend is made to be fully compatible with it, I don't see a very good reason it couldn't be done relatively simply. That'd enable a ridiculously large library of games, and it would just be up to common sense which would run decently and which would not; granted systems far outside the scope of the ARM920T's raw horsepower could simply be disabled as there is no point bothering to develop/find/implement an ARM9 ASM core for things like, say, 3D games. Or something that already ran pitifully slow on modern computers, e.g. Cruis'n USA. Or the old C cores could be left in place (although people would still whine about why the game ran at 1 FPS.) ;)

Porting something later than MAME 0.37 would run very slowly...

skeezix posted on May 2 2006 at 09:57 PM said:
Which AD&D games are you talking about? There are two main ones that were popular, both of which were CPS2 (Tower of Doom or somesuch?) I've got one of them in my basement, even :)

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7668

jeff
My bad - they are CPS-2... Introduced in 0.37b12.

Yes, my friend has one of them too... Brilliant games!

SolidSnake posted on May 2 2006 at 01:05 PM said:
Its only here or Street fighter 2 has a weird sound?
juste put accurate option and is great ;)

I need bug reports please!!!

Phoenix does not run -> solved in my last private version.

Gyruss does not work with sound -> still investigating it...

Did you see some more games with problems???

Regards.

don't work much game I try
A also have some crash

4 player
exciting soccer
pleiads
polaris
pengo
peter pack rat
pinbal action
many other for sure

I saw in all mame version that Indiana jones work ok only with mame compatible version

Those are the games. Tower of Doom was one I played in arcades, though I've never had that pleasure with Shadow over Mystara.

Also, I really, really, really want one of those cabinets. How do you even come into those things?

Hi Franxis !

Bugreport so far:

Jungle Hunt and Bomb Jack dont't run with all 3 MAME Versions and different adjustments.
Black screen and crash.

Edit: Sound off is the key. Same bug as Gyruss.
AY8910 perhaps ? But Moon Patrol and Frogger are still working...

More to come...

Regards.
Stephan

Franxis posted on May 2 2006 at 05:49 AM said:
Porting something later than MAME 0.37 would run very slowly...

Why is this? The most stressful aspect should still be CPU emulation, I don't see a good reason the existing ASM cores cannot be carried over. I do not keep up with the MAME source development so I may be in the dark about some other stressful addition from 0.37 on, but what do you have in mind that is so slow?

Prothall posted on May 2 2006 at 05:47 PM said:
Those are the games. Tower of Doom was one I played in arcades, though I've never had that pleasure with Shadow over Mystara.

Also, I really, really, really want one of those cabinets. How do you even come into those things?

There are numerous ways, but the usual way is to go to a coin related auction. ie: The machines don't just vanish when they get out of voguw.. they are either destroyed or sold off, and usually its the latter thankfully. They end up being auctioned off from operator to operator and then doign the circles in old pubs until being destroyed or stripped, or sold off to enthusiasts. There are FAQs on how to hit up a coin oper auction, but essentially..

Heres my shortlist for you :)

o Go to a pub
o Look for a sticker of ownership on the machine
o You'll usually find a distributor phone number; call them up and ask who they auction their old gear off to
o If they're uncooperative, hit the yellow pagesa and look for auciton houses and narrow in on ones that do bear clearouts or other industries like that

Check the newspaper for ads too, in the classifieds..

But usually you hit up an auction and buy a machine; the less chance it makes money _now_ the cheaper it is, so Pacman is stil worth somethign to this day (depends on the area, but count on Pacman being $200USD and up for a crappy beat up one :)

A CPS-2 game itself is a B board (needs an A board to work) maybe.. $50-$100CDN, and an A board for $50-$100 again .. the cabinet if in great shape qould drive it up, but you could use any old cabinet or wire it to your TV.. I've gotten cabs for free, but most often get a beat up one for $50-$100 (See a trend? :)

So you could get one of those for $100-$300 I'd bet :)

jeff

Back