Mame Gp2x 4.6

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
This it is the last MAME GP2X release before my summer holidays :) :

- Improved the System 16 driver (MAME 0.36b1): Several new System 16 games are playable (e.g. Moonwalker, Shadow Dancer, etc).
- Added the Sprite Manager support, required for the new System 16 driver.
- Updated UPD7759 sound core (MAME 0.36b1), to improve the digitized sound in the System 16 games.
- Rainbow Islands has been fixed (MAME 0.36rc1).
- Renegade has been fixed (MAME 0.36b6).
- Modified romsets: MAME 0.36b1: alexkidd, aliensyn, altbeast, astormbl, aurail, dduxbl, eswatbl, fantzone, fpointbl, goldnaxe, hwchamp, mjleague, passshtb, quartet2, sdi, shinobi, tetrisbl, timscanr, tturfbl, wb3bl, wrestwar.
- New romsets: MAME 0.36b1: altbeas2, atomicp, bodyslam, goldnaxa, hangon, moonwlkb, quartet, riotcity, shdancer, shdancrj, shinobl, tturf, wb3.
- Modified romsets: MAME 0.36rc1: rainbow, rainbowe, jumping.
- Updated the ClrMAME Pro DAT with the updated romsets.
- Fixed the "stuck" USB joypad problems. Thanks to Ark and TelcoLou.

The download is available in my web-site: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Franxis said:
Last weekend i released two bug-fix versions of my MAME port for the GP2X, with the following news:

MAME GP2X 4.5:
- Fixed: Q-Sound music was playing too slowly (bug introduced in v4.1).
- Fixed: FM Sound freezes after playing some games (bug introduced in v4.1).
- More optimizations in the sound mixing code.

MAME GP2X 4.4:
- Updated Cyclone core by Notaz (The UAE4ALL 0.7.0 one). It fixes Rastan, among other games.
- Optimizations in the sound mixing code.

The download is available in my web-site: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Awsome Keep Up The Great Work :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RockOut said:
It's clear that the only thing remaining for MAME GP2X to do is to make us toast in the morning. :D
Personally I just want Rainbow Islands to work :(

Wow, I'm impressed! :eek: This runs some things faster at 44kHz than a few versions back were running at 15kHz!

My default settings are now 250MHz, 44kHz, 100% for video/audio CPUs, VSync+dblbuf, Auto-skip <=2.

Feature requests:

Store the screen orientation and volume as part of the config files per game.

Some indicator like the FPS counter which describes "idle" time percent. i.e. 25% would imply the clock speed could come down by nearly 25% and lose no performance.

Laser said:
Wow, I'm impressed! :eek: This runs some things faster at 44kHz than a few versions back were running at 15kHz!

My default settings are now 250MHz, 44kHz, 100% for video/audio CPUs, VSync+dblbuf, Auto-skip <=2.

Feature requests:

Store the screen orientation and volume as part of the config files per game.

Some indicator like the FPS counter which describes "idle" time percent. i.e. 25% would imply the clock speed could come down by nearly 25% and lose no performance.
Thanks! :)

I personally prefer to use 22 khz sound (i do not notice the 44 khz quality with the GP2X speakers, but maybe it could change with headphones or with the TV speakers). I also do not recommend the use of VSync with the auto-frameskip.

For me 250 mhz, 80% video/audio CPUs, VSync+dblbuf, frameskip = 0 seems ok for almost all games.
With some exceptions:
Three Wonders: Fast executable, 280 mhz, 80%, Sync Normal, frameskip=0, 15 khz sound.
Street Fighter 2: Fast executable, 280 mhz, 80%, Sync Off, frameskip<=2, 15 khz sound.

PD: I take note about your feature requests.

foleyjo said:
RockOut said:
It's clear that the only thing remaining for MAME GP2X to do is to make us toast in the morning. :D

Me too... :unsure:

Many thanks once again, Franxis :)

Just wondering? Have you looked at this code, for USB joysticks:

Link to the topic :)

... it fixed the "stuck" joystick problems in PicoDrive for me, and I noticed similar problems with GP2X MAME.

Franxis said:
I personally prefer to use 22 khz sound (i do not notice the 44 khz quality with the GP2X speakers, but maybe it could change with headphones or with the TV speakers).

Yes, I generally use headphones and it sounds really good at 44kHz. B) The internal speakers I'm sure would not do it justice.

I also do not recommend the use of VSync with the auto-frameskip.

You don't? :unsure: It seems to work fine, and seems to make no difference to speed, but cleans up the picture a bit. What would I see if there was a problem?

For me 250 mhz, 80% video/audio CPUs, VSync+dblbuf, frameskip = 0 seems ok for almost all games.
With some exceptions:
Three Wonders: Fast executable, 280 mhz, 80%, Sync Normal, frameskip=0, 15 khz sound.
Street Fighter 2: Fast executable, 280 mhz, 80%, Sync Off, frameskip<=2, 15 khz sound.
Personally I find underclocking the emulated CPUs impacts the authenticity of the experience too much. (Sound runs slow, or timings seem wrong.) I'm rarely far from a fresh set of batteries, so there's little to be gained for me. My gp2x wont overclock much past 260MHz. :(

My personal interest tends more towards the era of Pac-Man, Mr. Do, Galaga, Donkey Kong, etc (most of these work at 60fps/44kHz with 200MHz), with some Commando, Bubble Bobble, etc. (These need a balance between lower sample rate and higher overclock or frameskip, but often work very smoothly at 22kHz, 260MHz.)

Is there somewhere that could tell me if the fast executable would benefit a particular rom set? I don't usually bother with it much, but it would be worth it if I knew it affected games I wanted to play.

Anyway, since the 4.x versions I've probably spent more time with MAME than any other program on my gp2x. :rolleyes:

Thanks Franxis... another great update. Its amazing the number of updates you put out... you are are creating these incremental updates faster than I can put them on my GP2x. But I guess that could be taken two ways... that maybe I need to spend a little more time with my GP2x.

Great job and you have on of the best if not the best GUI as well (I like the Rage frontend as well).

TelcoLou said:

... it fixed the "stuck" joystick problems in PicoDrive for me, and I noticed similar problems with GP2X MAME.

Ok, i will include this fix in the next version. Thanks for your report !!!

Franxis said:
TelcoLou said:

Ok, i will include this fix in the next version. Thanks for your report !!!

* Sheds a tear of joy * You rock!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Laser said:
Is there somewhere that could tell me if the fast executable would benefit a particular rom set? I don't usually bother with it much, but it would be worth it if I knew it affected games I wanted to play.
the fast one trades speed for compatibility, so if a rom works with the fast one, it's better to use that one generally.

Franxis said:
foleyjo said:
RockOut said:

Me too... :unsure:

it wont work on the amiga emulators either. its just one of them games.

Id like to try this new release of mame but my girlfriend likes mame so much she has took it off me

kevcal said:
foleyjo said:
Franxis said:
foleyjo said:
Me too... :unsure:it wont work on the amiga emulators either. its just one of them games.
I pretty sure it works on Outcast..
Yeah but AMIGAS BETTER THAN ATARI :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets emulate the old Amiga vs Atari wars.

Seriously though I just really want the arcade version

@franxis:
while you're fixing usbjoystick stuff, the following code won't hurt either :)

usbjoy.cpp:
CODE
// Joystick's buttons
ioctl(joy->fd, JSIOCGBUTTONS, &joy->numbuttons);

if (joy->numbuttons > 11) {
joy->numbuttons = 11;
}
//gno: failsafe set max buttons=11
//that's the max number of buttons we check anyway, saves us some loops
//note; for some unknown reason, some joysticks return a lot of buttons

Back