Mame question

andyhamer

Didn't really bother with Mame before as i thought it was still unoptimised, but after reading a few other threads that mention Mame4all has decent speed/compatibility now, i thought it may be worth firing it up.

After some digging around i found my old GP2X (around 2700 roms) romset, i have a few issues though, about 80% work pretty good (with some overclocking) quite a few of the vertical shooters (off the top of my head Dodonpachi, Dangun Feveron etc) display upside down ??, the Killer Instinct's and quite a few other fighters crash to the desktop.

Has anyone tried the full (25gb+ or however big it is now) romset, what percentage of the games work & do the more intricate shooters/fighters.. SFA3 etc work.

I have tried running my full romset & the one i use for FBA Next, through clrmamepro with the 0.37b5 dat or 0.037b05 & 0.037b05 TD as mine are named (assuming they are one & the same, they are the only ones i could find) and after completion pretty much nothing (maybe a handfull) works on Mame4all, is this more of an issue with Mame4all or do i have the wrong dat or have used clrmamepro incorrectly (i am following all the guides as carefully as possible)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The romset you have is all that works if you want to play bigger games mame 106 runs cyvern all irem v33 games and a host of other games just has a lot of scaling issues ie you can run rtype and amidar native but 2x forces the oops screen dodonpachi is upside down its a known issue i believe stevem knows this from previous threads we'll just need to wait for someone to optimise it for the pandora would love to play taito f3 games fullspeed.

caz

OK,

Thanks for the response, so to sum up Mame4all = more options, Mame 106 = more compatibility.. right??

I think i will leave it alone until we have a solution that incorporates the best of both, i don't fancy 2 different versions (of essentially the same program) & 2 different romsets and having to swap between the two to play different games.

OK,

Thanks for the response, so to sum up Mame4all = more options, Mame 106 = more compatibility.. right??

I think i will leave it alone until we have a solution that incorporates the best of both, i don't fancy 2 different versions (of essentially the same program) & 2 different romsets and having to swap between the two to play different games.
not exactly mame4all all games ive tried work flawlessly mame 106 needs major opptimisation more roms doesnt mean beter compatibility put it this way mame4all around 1.75gig of roms mame 106 14.8 gig but less games work also no frontend gui like mame4all which HELPS alot believe me.

i don't fancy 2 different versions (of essentially the same program) & 2 different romsets and having to swap between the two to play different games.
You may have no choice, it's part of the philosophy of MAME: add more compatibility, make things more accurate, but sacrifice speed and efficiency. While other emulators get better by finding tricks and shortcuts to make games run faster, MAME gets better by removing tricks and shortcuts and making the emulation as pinpoint accurate as it can be. And not just the things that the user experiences, they're not just looking to make the sound and graphics and input as accurate as possible; when they say accuracy, they mean they want it as perfect as possible down to timings on the CPU.

That's why the older versions, like Mame4all, run better than the newer versions, but the newer versions have more support.

i don't fancy 2 different versions (of essentially the same program) & 2 different romsets and having to swap between the two to play different games.
You may have no choice, it's part of the philosophy of MAME: add more compatibility, make things more accurate, but sacrifice speed and efficiency. While other emulators get better by finding tricks and shortcuts to make games run faster, MAME gets better by removing tricks and shortcuts and making the emulation as pinpoint accurate as it can be. And not just the things that the user experiences, they're not just looking to make the sound and graphics and input as accurate as possible; when they say accuracy, they mean they want it as perfect as possible down to timings on the CPU.

That's why the older versions, like Mame4all, run better than the newer versions, but the newer versions have more support.

C'est la vie.. plenty of other emu's

Chuck in enough money and Final Burn Alpha'll be one of them. ;)

Though perhaps Raine on the Pandora might be good, too?

Raine was s favourite of mine a few years back, is there a Linux version?

Yes, actually. And it supports a lot of the games that Final Burn Alpha does!

http://rainemu.swishparty.co.uk/html/download/latest.html

I remember a thread a while back where a member posted stats on different versions of Mame to build a pandora version of. I remember that Mame .093 was the sweet spot with the highest compatibility before the Mame Team changed its focus to pure emulation. Afterwards progressive Mame builds took more and more horsepower to achieve likewise playability.

Maybe that would be a good place to port for pandora. I know that it shouldn't take a 500 mhz X86 processor to run pacman. I'm personally using Mame .091 in my Mame cabinet since its using an older computer inside. That said, Final Burn Alpha can't come soon enough. I used to love playing "Mars Matrix" and "Giga Wing" on my GP2X MK2 and always wished I had a better control stick or even a proper Dpad for playing:)

I like MAME4ALL with a little overclocking, thought that most retro stuff runs good, minus the sound glitch thats random in a few games (no show stopper, minor IMO). Even put in some reworked sounds in Berzerk and others (thanks Prometheus) and reworked some controls in Frontline (thanks for the idea Blue Protoman). Only thing missing is nub support...

Back