Marketing Idea

rohezal

Advanced Member
The Pandora gets very popular games lately (namely Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake3, Enemy Territory, Jedi Knight 2&3, Free Space 1&2).

Maybe sometimes Medal of Honor and Urban Terror (both Quake3).

There are active communities and boards around there, which play the game since ages and won't stop. Tell them about the Pandora, that they can play "on a nintendo ds size laptop their favourite game" every where.

Maybe make a tournament for the most active games. First prize: 1 Ghz Pandora, Second Prize: Rebirth Pandora. Third Price: CC Pandora. Let people join for free, let them play with normal desktop pcs and just ask for a big banner in the boards for the tournament and the pandora.

The way some hard core fans, will maybe buy the Pandora and spread the knowdlege about it. And several id shooter guys are linux users. There is even a linux gamer clan  who plays shooters.

Games I recommend: JD2&3, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, Free Space 2

And maybe be a mean guy and write in Nintendo DS boards: *New* Jedi Knight 3 on Nintendo DS *New* with a youtube video to the Pandora.

Epic (but unrealistic) Idea: Send Carmack a Gigahertz Pandora (with preinstalled id games) 1 Week before the quakecon. So he can tell the people: hey look a got a nintends size laptop which can play all our old games. For 10 hours. Frag to Go.

Edit: The prices were just ideas. Maybe use vouchers for the dragonbox shop or something, if it is to expensive to send 3 Pandoras.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you ever tried playing these fps games on pandora? just cause theyre great games, doesnt mean they play well on pandora without additional accessories

I've played through a good chunk of the Jedi Knight games (3/4 of the way through Acadamy, 1/4 into outcast).. Now working on RTCW right now, all without an external mouse / keyboard. Have to say it must of taken a lot of work to get the controls all in order to work so well.

I am in the third level of jedi knight 2 (outcast). The only missing thing is the crouching, which was fixed a few moments by ptitseb. The right nub mouse mode works pretty fine, with shooting on the should buttons. There some shooters on Xbox and PS3 too. It works :) .

Btw. Thank you ptitseb for your hard work, jedi knight 2 is one of my favourite games on the pandora :) .

Quake 3 was working wonderfully on the Pandora too... Dpad + Right nub + right toggle = FPS love.

have you ever tried playing these fps games on pandora? just cause theyre great games, doesnt mean they play well on pandora without additional accessories
I'll never understand how people can play FPS without proper mouse + keyboard.

Tried it with gamepad and it is inaccurate as hell and that is the reason why most of the FPS get a lower difficulty setting on consoles, if I see this right.

I'll never understand how people can play FPS without proper mouse + keyboard.

Tried it with gamepad and it is inaccurate as hell and that is the reason why most of the FPS get a lower difficulty setting on consoles, if I see this right.
Have you tried latest build of Jedi Knight 2 (the Demo if you don't own the game). Even if doesn't compare to Keyboard/Mouse, it plays quite well, and you can play in a train/plane/car/park/toilet/anywhere, it's sometime more difficult to play in thoses places with a mouse and/or a keybord ;)

I agree these games play better with an actual mouse but the work done on controls by ptitseb makes it very playable. He is very dedicated in making controls work. Most of the beta testing was about getting the controls right.

So you think it is a good idea to tell the big boards of Quake3, Enemy Territory, JD2&3 and Freespace 2 about the Pandora? Would a post be enough? Or maybe realy do 2 or 3 tournaments with some prices to get their attention and let them place a banner about it in the boards. Maybe even some pandora owners can participate and play with a Pandora against them (and loose but hey).

great idea, actually.

carmack could even send the pandora outa space in one of his rockets, seriously boosting pandora fame in the universe.

to whom it may concern:

the awesome device you just found belongs to:
john carmack, earth, solar system

send it right back, or im gonna frag your alien ass!

nah seriously. great idea.

So you think it is a good idea to tell the big boards of Quake3, Enemy Territory, JD2&3 and Freespace 2 about the Pandora? Would a post be enough? Or maybe realy do 2 or 3 tournaments with some prices to get their attention and let them place a banner about it in the boards. Maybe even some pandora owners can participate and play with a Pandora against them (and loose but hey).
Hum, Enemy Territory is only in closed beta for now (but I may release it very soon), and for JK2/3, I ported only the Single Player part, not the MP part.

But, any ad that can boost sales is certainly a very good thing.

a strategically set snapshot of carmack (or some other idol) with a pandora in his/her hands here and there could work wonders!

The Pandora gets very popular games lately (namely Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake3, Enemy Territory, Jedi Knight 2&3, Free Space 1&2).

Maybe sometimes Medal of Honor and Urban Terror (both Quake3).

There are active communities and boards around there, which play the game since ages and won't stop. Tell them about the Pandora, that they can play "on a nintendo ds size laptop their favourite game" every where.

Maybe make a tournament for the most active games. First prize: 1 Ghz Pandora, Second Prize: Rebirth Pandora. Third Price: CC Pandora. Let people join for free, let them play with normal desktop pcs and just ask for a big banner in the boards for the tournament and the pandora.

The way some hard core fans, will maybe buy the Pandora and spread the knowdlege about it. And several id shooter guys are linux users. There is even a linux gamer clan  who plays shooters.

Games I recommend: JD2&3, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, Free Space 2

And maybe be a mean guy and write in Nintendo DS boards: *New* Jedi Knight 3 on Nintendo DS *New* with a youtube video to the Pandora.

Epic (but unrealistic) Idea: Send Carmack a Gigahertz Pandora (with preinstalled id games) 1 Week before the quakecon. So he can tell the people: hey look a got a nintends size laptop which can play all our old games. For 10 hours. Frag to Go.

Edit: The prices were just ideas. Maybe use vouchers for the dragonbox shop or something, if it is to expensive to send 3 Pandoras.
 this is a great idea to spread the word of OpenPandora. truly open sourced gaming.

Epic (but unrealistic) Idea: Send Carmack a Gigahertz Pandora (with preinstalled id games) [...] So he can tell the people: hey look a got a nintends size laptop which can play all our old games. For 10 hours. Frag to Go.
 this is a great idea to spread the word of OpenPandora. truly open sourced gaming.
Good idea, I would donate a bit for that.

Sending Carmack a Pandora with all the ports of Doom1+2, Wolfenstein 3D, Quake, Quake 3 Arena, etc...

and the request to show around how awesome it is to play his true classic FPS-games on the go for many hours is a very good one.

I think you guys forget that Carmack is not the Linux supporter he used to be. He has taken a stance against doing ports for Linux since Rage, and saying that Linux has no commercial future for games. 

If you expect to get free advertising for the Pandora from Carmack, you will be disappointed. 

If you expect to get free advertising for the Pandora from Carmack, you will be disappointed.
Maybe a quake handheld console can change his mind. and the steam box is going to released which will use linux too.

And I would recommend to ask the admins of the 10 big boards of quake, enemy territory, jd2 knight on so on for advertising. Maybe a tourne or ask them if they want a pandora, the only thing they to do for it, is to make a fair review (and maybe send it back or send it to the next board).

There is probably an oportunity here, because mobile device had never be good FPS contender. But if you want to advertise the Pandora has a good (the best) mobile device for FPS, you better do it fast before the Shield fill the gap.

Back