Marketplace For Openpandora Commercial Games And Apps

Tenuki

Still Fresh
I like almost everything about the OpenPandora console. Nice & cute design, excellent hardware and sounds like there will plenty of emulated older platforms available. I don't like only that I still don't have one in my hands yet. The only missing piece I can see is quality exclusive apps and/or games for OpenPandora.

I think that interest of professional developers in OpenPandora console could be boosted by providing an unified marketplace for apps and games. Benefits would be:
* All apps and games should be well categorized to simplify search as well as provide rich information about each software: description, few screenshots, optionally video, user ratings and optionally some reviews.
* Developers could create quality products and submit them to single place being sure that their creations can be found by everyone who owns OpenPandora console.
* Customers would be happy as there would be more software to choose from (both free and paid) as well as they would require to spend less time to find what they are looking for.
* Developers would be happy as they could reasonably hope to receive deserved bonus in cash for their efforts as well as rankings in tops for pleasant satisfaction.
* Gathered cash (besides sending to developers) could be also used to pay for maintenance and hosting of the marketplace, support OpenPandora creators. Optionally some contests with prizes could be organized easily too.
* Unified marketplace would also provide safety for both developers and customers. No cheating in stealing credit cards or revealing personal information.

IMHO - everyone wins. What do you think?

I can't wait to see OpenPandora available to everyone. Best of luck to the creators.

Craigix wanted to add this feature to the file archive, but I still think that a completely new system would be better suited. I can't suggest my PND Manager though; it has not been worked on for some time and doesn't have commercial game support. We should still look for alternatives, methinks.

An official Pandora APT repository would be an awesome feature in my opinion, but I know that this has been discussed before.

that would be good as long as they develop a .PND Panda S/N binding to secure the sales, then it would be a really good idea

it should be called box :p

and a service/marketplace like this could make or break this dream machine

SHEEPGODODOOM said:
I guess I should have googled first :(

now I'm bummed
lucky you didnt said "Boxila" or something alike if you did, you would be sunk by Godzilla lawyers

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or does it seem like the pandora crowd isn't one that is wont to respect copyright laws...

DroneB Dev said:
that would be good as long as they develop a .PND Panda S/N binding to secure the sales, then it would be a really good idea
That would be a bad idea. Any form of DRM will prevent me from buying something, and I am not alone in this. Gotta have some semblance of standards.

WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:
That would be a bad idea. Any form of DRM will prevent me from buying something, and I am not alone in this. Gotta have some semblance of standards.
Secure DRM would be impossible to implement on an open platform anyway.

Lunatic said:
WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:

Thats not true. the PC is open platform and that has DRM.

mvickers03 said:
Lunatic said:
WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:

Windows is not open.

Lunatic said:
mvickers03 said:
Lunatic said:
WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:

Windows is not open.
I didnt say windows.. but please tell me why its not open platform?

mvickers03 said:
Lunatic said:
WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:

And this is something to be emulated? (Excuse the pun.)

DRM is made to be broken. People who want to steal games will do so. This discussion has been going on on the 'net for ages...

Where have seen this model before? Oh yeah: the iPhone. Which has a thriving jailbreak community. Which has sources for DRM-broken copies of commercial app's.

There's no reason why software can't be sold without DRM. I still buy CD's to rip for personal use instead of downloading them. But to buy a product that's broken by design, trying to control how I use it? No, thanks.

Back