Media and Press - who should we contact?

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
We already have a thread where in the media the Pyra was already covered in (albeit often in a horrible way), but now that the PressKit is almost ready, it's time to approach various newssites, blogs, forums, whatever!

RIght now, the PressKit includes lots of pictures, but a few more renderings will be added during the next few days.
It also included texts with all the important information about the Pyra. No videos yet, but I hope these will follow soon.

So now the question to you is:

What sites should we approach?
Please post them here!

It's probably best if I approach official newssites myself, but if you are in contact with any newssites (know someone from there), you can also approach him yourself (please let me know).

If you're a regular visitor in any other forum, of course you're welcome to post there as well.

You may use ANY material (text and graphics) you find in the PressKit for free.

Also, does anyone know good multi-PR sites?
I know of OpenPR.de and firmenpresse.de in Germany - do you know any international ones?

Thanks for your help!

heise.de
golem.de
derStandard.at‎ - pretty popular ehen you search for linux on google News
ZDNet.de
www.linux-magazin.de
pro-linux.de - has already an Article

Last edited:
Engadget.com
exophase.com (No it's not related to Exophase we have here)
Isn't there some Linux Journal?
Wired.com
techcrunch.com

Ditto for Jupiter Broadcasting!

You could also try approaching Tek Syndicate. They're trying to get their feet wet in promoting Linux, but have really hit a brick wall. Perhaps the Pyra could help them out if they're willing to promote it?

Contacting some YouTubers that have had experience with the Pandora could also be a great boon. Ashens, being one of the more popular YouTubers that reviews handheld stuff (incl. the Pandora) is the very first that comes to mind. He will _maybe_ review it when it releases, but it wouldn't hurt to get him invovled. Tweeterman287 pretty much does the same thing.

And a list of sites:
-BoingBoing
-The Next Web
-Wired
-Mashable
-Geek.com
-Linux.com
-TechCrunch

Started a thread on 8chan's /tech/ which is full of people who like open software/hardware or are just there because they like to hype random persons who happen to be Stallman in this case. It seems the feedback is way better compared to the thread on 4chan but I suspect some of them are secret agents from this board here like I am. :>

https://8ch.net/tech/res/586343.html

It is not exactly what you have in mind with PR, but spreading the news on such sites should do some good, because it might be reposted on other subboards or other sites.

Initiatives:
Humble indie
GlobaLeaks
Benetech
Accessnow
bic.org
Radio Free Asia
Psiphon
Secfirst
Riseup
Savesecurity
cdac

Institutions:

GNU
FSFE
EFF
OSI
MIT
Hackerspaces

News:
Inner fidelity
Hackaday
Dangerous Prototypes
Ars Technica
TweakTown
bit-tech
Gizmodo
Leicarumors

Forums:
DiyAudio
Hydrogenaudio

Etherradio:
Bad voltage
Geek News Radio
The Linux Link Tech Show

Blogs:
Bunnies blog
Bruce Schneier
Linus Torvalds
Greg Kroah-Hartman
Fabs Hacknoir
Martin Michlmayr
Matthew Garret
Adafruit industries

Software:

All software included on Pyra, in particular small cool projects to bundle.
Some ideas here, but could be explored further.

Edit: Does anyone know of any good game talkshows on twitch? I tune in every now and again, but have none on my shortlist.

Last edited:
Gamesindustry.biz They have some great articles on there often analyzing various aspects of the industry.

I have translated the message on the other press kit thread, is that ok?

The Linux Action Show (JupiterBroadCasting) people wanted to review OpenPandora and/or make an interview, and i already tried to put them in contact before, but maybe i did not managed very well the situation...

Anyway, i'm sure they would like to receive a review Pyra unit and/or make an interview if you contact with them.

Linux Voice is another option.
https://www.linuxvoice.com/
https://www.linuxvoice.com/

Whats's in it for them:
In regards to approaching large sites like Engadget, may I suggest the following. Rather than simply writing to them ED, I would also offer them a review PYRA for when it's launched , and a PYRA for them to give away to their readers. This gives them a benefit for doing a story on the PYRA now and one when it launches. ie think, what's in it for them . If they get a review PYRA there's that, plus one to give away to their readers gives them something to make their readers happy and also increase their readership (especially if they make a competition out of it)

Large forums:
Secondly , there are huge forums out there that would be good if not better than getting on some tech news sites. I'm not going to list them all, but I would suggest starting a new thread on them, like NEOGAF. I noticed 2 threads there on the GPD WIN ,got a lot of responces.. So yes NEOGAF and large forums like it.

Last edited:
Any Linux distro's forum seems like a good place to share the info by community members. Best advertisement is still word of mouth.

Back