Mediatek Future?

ancienttyrael

Still Fresh
Just to be clear, this is only a suggestion for the far future of the Pyra and its upto the gods *cough*ED*cough* but it is a new prospect for the Linux peeps. Couple of weeks ago Mediatek had officially joined the Linux Foundation among others (click here for announcement) pledging support for the grand penguin. To me this seems to be a big change in stance for Mediatek as in the past they were very reluctant to even give out copies of the source code of their chipsets.

Now I know ED talked with them last year but turned them down since they only offered android drivers at the time. With the impending release of the MT8173 chipset for this year, maybe this could be looked into again for a future cpu upgrade.

CPU upgrade board is probably a few years away, and by then we'll have all kinds of shiny new chips to play with. Absolutely nothing is "off the table", probably, but it's a little premature to be suggesting something (even something not quite out yet) which is likely to be quite outdated before it's time for an upgrade :p

CPU upgrade board is probably a few years away
Well, I don't think "a few years away" but you are still right, it is far to early to talk about a CPU-upgrade. :D

To me this seems to be a big change in stance for Mediatek as in the past they were very reluctant to even give out copies of the source code of their chipsets.
This is true - but I will only believe it when I see the first upgrades to an device with an Meditatek CPU :p

There is a reason why the fairphone(1) never recieved an upgrade to Android 5.0 but is still stuck with 4.4 *cough*MediaTek*cough*

Back